Go Away Kid

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One of our members happened to mention that an old-time player by the nickname of 'Go Away Kid' died last month -- I believe in the San Francisco area. So I asked him a little more about who this was and was he a "player", since I was not familiar with him. He wrote back,

Massive Takeout said:
Yeah, old black guy, had to have been in his seventies or older, a real player. And a serious character, I had a lot of fun with him in the pool hall I worked in up until January. Apparently he played (hustled) there one night a few weeks ago, then went home and didn't wake up. To give you an idea of his caliber, the local pool rag was eulogizing him and said that back in the seventies or eighties (I can't remember) when Ronnie Allen came to San Francisco looking for action, the call went out for Go Away. I think Go Away (Jessie) gave him all he could handle, too. He'll be missed.

Pretty neat nickname, which must be a story in its own right. Can anyone add any more about him?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:
One of our members happened to mention that an old-time player by the nickname of 'Go Away Kid' died last month -- I believe in the San Francisco area. So I asked him a little more about who this was and was he a "player", since I was not familiar with him. He wrote back,

Pretty neat nickname, which must be a story in its own right. Can anyone add any more about him?

Steve, I knew Jesse very well. He and I would occasionally hustle ( he steered ) the predominantly black pool rooms in the Fillmore District of S.F., and Oakland, in the 60's
He was a colorful character and a real action creator.
I always felt comfortable with him (even though he only weighed about 140 pounds) and if he was with you, he was really with YOU.
He was never a world beater, but it took a player to beat him, and he loved being in action. I was sad to hear of his passing a while back. Do not know where the "Go away kid" nickname came from. It's all I ever heard him called. Grady knew him too,I'm sure.

Dick

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jesse "James"...

Jesse "James"...

I played Jesse in a 9-ball tournament in Cotati, CA (near Santa Rosa) in c. 1996. He didn't seem like too tough a character, but he was one of those awkward guys to play: didn't behave like the average guy. Anyway I bore down, got some rolls, and got out to an early lead. Before I knew it, I had him 8-1 in a race to 9.

Then he seemed to change gears, and started winning games. I could feel him creeping up. You know how those situations are: the guy keeps coming on while you start to sweat. Soon enough, we get to the hill, 8-8!! Somehow I pulled the game out and won, but as I recall the final game was lucky on my part.

Anyway, after the tournament he kept woofing at me to play for dough. I'd sensed he was stronger than he was letting on, so I told him I needed weight. He wouldn't give it, so we just became pals for the rest of the day. Seems to me we kidded him about being "Jesse James". He had a great sense of humor, and he sure enjoyed his Budweiser.

Sorry to hear that another interesting pool character has moved on.

Doc