...Robin Williams....

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
.....a sad and tragic event...about Mork from Ork .....Robin Williams was one of my all-time favorite Actor/Comedians.....

.......People need to know....there should be many reasons for....choosing Life over Death......even something as simple as playing Pool....can give One a purpose in Life....

....and although Life can throw You some curves at times....if You just keep putting one foot in front of the other...You'll get to where You're going....just Marching in place....doesn't move You forward and it can seem like....shit is piling up on You......

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
amen...

amen...

.....my friend.The King is dead,long live Mork.I havent felt this sad since Jerry died.Freddie was natural so not so hard.No matter,the beat goes on.Its a great life until you weaken.As we used to say in Nam stay high keep low,cheers my friend,James

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah, when I told my wife last night we immediately started watching old Robin Williams clips on youtube and ended up watching this 1-1/2 hour solo performance in its entirety. We were laughing our asses off, but also it was pretty emotional because he had just died, and it was very interesting how many segments of his act addressed alcoholism, drugs and even suicidal tendencies. It was from about 5 years ago because at one point he mentions being 58, and he died at 63 -- just 9 days younger than me.

He went non-stop for the whole 1-1/2 hours, with just a few sips of water.

[ame]http://youtu.be/G-JUF3xHdbI[/ame]

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
.....my friend.The King is dead,long live Mork.I havent felt this sad since Jerry died.Freddie was natural so not so hard.No matter,the beat goes on.Its a great life until you weaken.As we used to say in Nam stay high keep low,cheers my friend,James

...thank You.........for Your service.....and every Veteran on the site....

Last edited:

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
......if You look at the future with Hope...the present with Focus....and the past with Respect....You'll never have to look at...what could have been...with Regret.....

...above is a Life lesson that I have come to embrace....

.... if You play every game of Onepocket...with this in mind.....You'll always be a winner....

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
When I first came to LA I started working doing what we call WALLA. That was doing the voice overs for the background of films. There were a few guys who could do Asian and Polyesian languages and that was my foot in the door. Wherever there was a Chinese restaurant scene or a Hawaiian beach party they would bring me in and I laid down the voice track for the ambience in the background of the main dialogue. We couldn't use real dialogue so that's why we called it Walla. Cause you'd just hear wallawallawalla with a few words thrown in.
I worked with some of the top people. But then word was out on the street their was this amazing guy who could improvise a mile a minute in many dialects and languages. He was just blowing everyone away with his non stop chatter. We were all scared he would be taking the food out of our mouths. But Mork and Mindy came along and Robin Williams became a star and we could rest assured.
The thing about my personal experience with Robin was I didn't like him at first. I was called in to do a reading for Columbia pictures. Neil Simon wrote a new script called Brothers and he and the execs wanted to hear it live. I got sent to the Beverly Hills Hotel and the Brothers are played by Robin and Kevin Kline. Daryl Hannah is the love interest. Walter Mathau and Linda Lavin are the parents. Brian Dennehy is reading the stage directions and Doris Roberts and Howard Hesseman is reading small parts. I play what else the Chinese waiter.
Everything was copacetic. Until Robin and I had a scene and he started just jabbering in this ching chong oriental stereotype thing. He just kept going on. Improvising all the way. I didn't know when to come in. I felt insulted and not treated like a fellow actor. It was an Asian stepin fetchit kind of thing. All everyone was doing was hahaha ing the funny man but I wanted to slap him one. But I was a minority of one.
So its all done and I leave not saying goodbye. I swore I never would see his pictures or watch him on the tube. Later I get called in by Coppola to do a nice little part in a movie called JACK. I always wanted to work with Francis after Godfather and this was my chance. I didn't have to work with Robin. But our paths crossed. He didn't remember me. But I just looked through him and walked away.
Later I was called in to do a film with Minnie Driver so I got all her films as I wasn't sure what kind of performer she was. I rented Good Will Hunting and forced myself to look at it. And I was just blown away by Robin. was just mesmerized by his performance. And I came to realize here was someone special. The kind of performer that only a true performer can appreciate. Some one with not only craft but fire in his heart and soul. Yes he was messed up but I had worked with a lot of people in this business that was just insecure and manic. I had worked with the Differnet Strokes crew and they were all messed up or dead. So I went back to see Robins other stuff and he was magnificent.
I just let it go and respected that man. He could do things that I couldn't do. He could make magic. Wherever he is I hope he is resting safe. I shed tears for him He was one of a kind.

PS sorry to my one pocket brethren for a long personal post.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When I first came to LA I started working doing what we call WALLA. That was doing the voice overs for the background of films. There were a few guys who could do Asian and Polyesian languages and that was my foot in the door. Wherever there was a Chinese restaurant scene or a Hawaiian beach party they would bring me in and I laid down the voice track for the ambience in the background of the main dialogue. We couldn't use real dialogue so that's why we called it Walla. Cause you'd just hear wallawallawalla with a few words thrown in.
I worked with some of the top people. But then word was out on the street their was this amazing guy who could improvise a mile a minute in many dialects and languages. He was just blowing everyone away with his non stop chatter. We were all scared he would be taking the food out of our mouths. But Mork and Mindy came along and Robin Williams became a star and we could rest assured.
The thing about my personal experience with Robin was I didn't like him at first. I was called in to do a reading for Columbia pictures. Neil Simon wrote a new script called Brothers and he and the execs wanted to hear it live. I got sent to the Beverly Hills Hotel and the Brothers are played by Robin and Kevin Kline. Daryl Hannah is the love interest. Walter Mathau and Linda Lavin are the parents. Brian Dennehy is reading the stage directions and Doris Roberts and Howard Hesseman is reading small parts. I play what else the Chinese waiter.
Everything was copacetic. Until Robin and I had a scene and he started just jabbering in this ching chong oriental stereotype thing. He just kept going on. Improvising all the way. I didn't know when to come in. I felt insulted and not treated like a fellow actor. It was an Asian stepin fetchit kind of thing. All everyone was doing was hahaha ing the funny man but I wanted to slap him one. But I was a minority of one.
So its all done and I leave not saying goodbye. I swore I never would see his pictures or watch him on the tube. Later I get called in by Coppola to do a nice little part in a movie called JACK. I always wanted to work with Francis after Godfather and this was my chance. I didn't have to work with Robin. But our paths crossed. He didn't remember me. But I just looked through him and walked away.
Later I was called in to do a film with Minnie Driver so I got all her films as I wasn't sure what kind of performer she was. I rented Good Will Hunting and forced myself to look at it. And I was just blown away by Robin. was just mesmerized by his performance. And I came to realize here was someone special. The kind of performer that only a true performer can appreciate. Some one with not only craft but fire in his heart and soul. Yes he was messed up but I had worked with a lot of people in this business that was just insecure and manic. I had worked with the Differnet Strokes crew and they were all messed up or dead. So I went back to see Robins other stuff and he was magnificent.
I just let it go and respected that man. He could do things that I couldn't do. He could make magic. Wherever he is I hope he is resting safe. I shed tears for him He was one of a kind.

No worries -- that was beautiful. Players who are inducted into the One Pocket HOF have often asked me before the event, "What should I say?" I just tell them to speak from the heart.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

GREAT story Keone, no one knows what's in a persons life or for that matte,r their mind at certain times.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
...Robin Williams....

Thank you Keone. I was looking forward to your thoughts on this and appreciate them.

It is a testament to his (and your) craft overall that so many of us FEEL like we knew Robin personally. It feels like we lost a friend.

I related to him also because of his sobriety (which he was happy to disclose). I'm in my 18th year and am very grateful for them. I am thankful also for the many (possibly extra) years with us that his sobriety offered him, and the world.

What a gift he was to the masses. I know he made me laugh probably over a hundred times in my life. And cry. My favorite of his movies is "what dreams may come". I would recommend it to anyone, but bring a tissue. Different, emotional, and satisfying.

RIP Mork

Nanu Nanu

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
I related to him also because of his sobriety (which he was happy to disclose). I'm in my 18th year and am very grateful for them. I am thankful also for the many (possibly extra) years with us that his sobriety offered him, and the world.

....Congrats...on your Sobriety.....I for one.....appreciate the Courage and Effort....that is required of a Person to......."Man-up"......and take charge......of one's Own life.....

......One Day at a Time.....my Friend....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I grew up in the Burbs of Chicago, with second city and it's characters coming and going during and after my youth in HS. Our first game of football each year was against a team, Animal House type, and Beluschi, Wheaton IL and that mindset....like Robin Williams....was prevalent. I can see and understand how such a wonderful person can do this, in their own way but feel saddened for his loved ones. I remember a wealthy man from Palos Verdes jumping off a bridge into the shipping channel once he realized he had a terminal illness. He chose the Long Beach ship yards. It's sad Robin was no longer able to make himself laugh, or? But Robin thx, for you being you, and when I get skewed, how being normal feels that much better. You got paid for acting like many of us do. If we acted like you, we'd be mocked or humiliated just because we're not getting paid :heh

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
...Robin Williams....

....Congrats...on your Sobriety.....I for one.....appreciate the Courage and Effort....that is required of a Person to......."Man-up"......and take charge......of one's Own life.....

......One Day at a Time.....my Friend....

Thank you kindly. Best move I have ever made. :)