Truman Hogue vs. "Piggy Bank" Rogers 2001 D.C.C.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
This is from Sept 2009 BD.

"But the first 9-baller I ever heard draw that kind of lofty praise was far lower-profile, and by design. That would be New York’s late Mike Carpinello, better known to insiders as Mickey from Port Chester. Part of the reason Mickey had no reputation much beyond the East Coast is that, like any number of top guns of his era, he had virtually no regard for pool except to enable another, far more clandestine lifestyle. But he booked no losers, playing the most beautiful 9-ball anyone could remember. Even if it took a reasonably hard shot to get himself in line, he had nothing more challenging than two feet away thereafter. “Mickey,” asked his pal Freddy “The Beard” Bentivegna years ago, whilst stuffing his pockets with his share of yet another successful road trip, “Can you even play? I never see ya doin’ anything I couldn’t do in my first two weeks at pool. No bleep, now: are you any good?”

Just wondering if Freddie remembers this.

Pel

That had to be George Fels that wrote that.
Lost track of when Mickey died. But it is at least 10 years ago. I hear from his daughter once in awhile.

Beard