Non Bank-Pool Player's Dilemma

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I know Freddy said not to pocket the 1-ball.

But it would put two balls on the spot, and force your opponent to break them up.

The advantage of going off the 8 is that speed is a little easier because you will be going 2 or 3 rails. But the 1-ball is laying so naturally you should have pretty good speed with that too.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
My first choice was to play safe off the 8 ball, as you have illustrated. But if the shooter can thin over-cut the 1-ball to the left, bringing whitey up to the center head rail, while rolling the 1-ball into line with the 8 and 4, then he'd put the opponent into a good trap.

If he really wanted to be nasty, he could simply cut the 1-ball into the pocket, leaving whitey in the same place as above. That might even be better. ~Doc

2nd and 3rd choices, no good. Dont overthink it. I have to go somewhere. Will explain later.

Beard

Those 2 safeties, while you dont leave a shot, are easily answered. Two of the balls are going to be 2 diamonds off of the foot rail. The power of the 8 ball safety is that you put all three balls near the rail and the furthest distance away from the q ball. If he tries to play safe off of one of those balls and doesnt get you real close to the rail --which wont be easy -- you should have a relatively free shot at one of them, with the other balls being left close to the foot rail as protection if you miss.

In otherwords the idea is to leave all 3 balls close to the foot rail and maximum distance away from the cue ball which should be close to or frozen to the rail. The distance you are from the 8 ball (you are relatively close) should make it easy to hit the safe strongly.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Shooting the 6 which is the main "blocker" ball to the other balls, completely opens up the table for the other 3 balls. The exact reason why you wouldnt want to do it when you were ahead. You dont want to open the table up when you have a lead.

I thought the idea was that you put more pressure on your opponent with an open table when you have the lead. :confused:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I thought the idea was that you put more pressure on your opponent with an open table when you have the lead. :confused:

I am starting to get the feeling that you are maybe the only banker in Oregon. Where could you have possibly heard that? If I need 2 or 1, why would I want the table to be able to yield 3 or 4?

Anyone playing me when I have the lead is looking at a table with 3 or 4 blocked pockets and the rest of the balls in clusters on one side of the table and near the rails.

Beard

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I am starting to get the feeling that you are maybe the only banker in Oregon. Where could you have possibly heard that? If I need 2 or 1, why would I want the table to be able to yield 3 or 4?

Anyone playing me when I have the lead is looking at a table with 3 or 4 blocked pockets and the rest of the balls in clusters on one side of the table and near the rails.

Beard

I could very well be the only banker(or, rather, hopeful banker) in Oregon. I'm certain that you had said that exact thing. I will try to find it. Something about putting immense pressure on an opponent when you only need 1 or 2 and they still need most, with a miss all but guaranteeing you a shot at a bank.. at the same time, locking up all of the balls when needing the same(1 or 2 vs. many) gives the opponent a greater chance, since you are also shooting at a select shot(or few) that are available. Again, I'll try to dig around and see what I can find.

After a brief search..
I couldn't find what I thought that I was looking for, though I did find a reference or two to this kind of strategy, so I must have been mistaken.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I could very well be the only banker(or, rather, hopeful banker) in Oregon. I'm certain that you had said that exact thing. I will try to find it. Something about putting immense pressure on an opponent when you only need 1 or 2 and they still need most, with a miss all but guaranteeing you a shot at a bank.. at the same time, locking up all of the balls when needing the same(1 or 2 vs. many) gives the opponent a greater chance, since you are also shooting at a select shot(or few) that are available. Again, I'll try to dig around and see what I can find.

After a brief search..
I couldn't find what I thought that I was looking for, though I did find a reference or two to this kind of strategy, so I must have been mistaken.

You are right in a way. I did say something remotely along those lines -- as an exception to a certain situation. I will look for the exact lesson I put together re it a while back. i will dig it out and repost it.

HOWEVER, at no point have I ever, ever, espoused allowing enough balls open on a table that would allow my opponent to win the game on one shot.

The exception you refer to is a special circumstance in a special situation.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Found it!

Found it!

Here it is. It is from my website, and the free bank lessons page.

KEY POINT
Do not take all the balls out of play — a fatal mistake that I myself made for years — my rationale was, “If one ball out of play is good, then three or four is better still.” A flawed conclusion it turns out.
If you and your opponent are both playing one ball at a time, you remove much of the pressure from your opponent. All the opposition has to do is play safe on one ball.
If there are several balls in play, even though they might present an opportunity for your opponent to make them in one inning, it also makes it many times more difficult for the opposition to play safe when you only need one ball. One ball could be made from anywhere. Your foe will be under extreme pressure trying to keep you from shooting at 2-rail or 3-rail banks that will win the game. Paranoia will have your competition seeing banks going in from everywhere.
Your opponent knows that any ball you are left close to, regardless of the angle, is a possible make. With one ball in play on the table, if the other player keeps leaving you long with the Cue Ball near the cushion, the pressure between the two of you would be about the same. Maybe less for him because he is behind and has nothing to lose. But when he looks at the table and negatively visualizes that he cannot leave you without a shot, and that he has to leave you something to shoot at, the pressure becomes greater on him than you.

Always remember tho. When you need 1, you must still keep at least 1 ball completely out of play in order to keep your opponent from winning the game on one shot.

Beard

So Banks, you must at least have visited my website.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

KEY POINT
Do not take all the balls out of play — a fatal mistake that I myself made for years — my rationale was, “If one ball out of play is good, then three or four is better still.” A flawed conclusion it turns out.
If you and your opponent are both playing one ball at a time, you remove much of the pressure from your opponent. All the opposition has to do is play safe on one ball.
If there are several balls in play, even though they might present an opportunity for your opponent to make them in one inning, it also makes it many times more difficult for the opposition to play safe when you only need one ball. One ball could be made from anywhere. Your foe will be under extreme pressure trying to keep you from shooting at 2-rail or 3-rail banks that will win the game. Paranoia will have your competition seeing banks going in from everywhere.
Your opponent knows that any ball you are left close to, regardless of the angle, is a possible make. With one ball in play on the table, if the other player keeps leaving you long with the Cue Ball near the cushion, the pressure between the two of you would be about the same. Maybe less for him because he is behind and has nothing to lose. But when he looks at the table and negatively visualizes that he cannot leave you without a shot, and that he has to leave you something to shoot at, the pressure becomes greater on him than you.

Always remember tho. When you need 1, you must still keep at least 1 ball completely out of play in order to keep your opponent from winning the game on one shot.

Beard

I stand corrected, at least until I sober up and decipher what the f@@k this means:p:eek::D.

RBL

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR

KEY POINT

Beard

A little more info never hurt anybody. That's probably where I picked it up, too, at your site.