Cues we use + specs

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
hey phil, this cue is #330-09. i got it from greg antonakos - NY collector/dealer right after DCC in 2014.... i am on "the list" to get a couple more. i don't think anyone had ever hit a ball with this cue when i got it from greg (i don't know anything about its history, he told me the previous owner was a collector).

i did have SW turn the shafts down a bit - they were originally 13 mm. laurie franklin is a very nice person and also had a very educating conversation with mike bunker about the finer points of shaft construction.

that would be pretty cool if this is indeed a cue you once owned...

:)

Hi Miller,

I do not know your first name. Yes, that was my cue. It is an extremely nice cue, I got it new on the second market. It looks good and feels great. I hit a couple racks and stored it in a case in my office next to my game room.

SW are great playing cues. I got interested in the veneers and woods. Before I knew it, I had 18 SW for some reason .:confused: I sold a package to Greg fall 13 and some later.

I am somewhat obsessive compulsive when I get interested. My primary player is a Frank Paradise with a Tascarella shaft, but I alternate a Barry Szamboti and am breaking in a new Tascarella. I will try and take a couple pictures for this thread.

Congratulations on owning a really nice SW, I know what you are feeling. The PH and GA are a great combo!

All the best,
Phil

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I am playing with a nice rosewood production cue from Falcon - I think they made the Predators at one time, also. It had a list price of $580 I believe, but of course I paid less than that.

It can play as well as I can - maybe even a bit better. :heh

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cues we use + specs

Hi Miller,

I do not know your first name. Yes, that was my cue. It is an extremely nice cue, I got it new on the second market. It looks good and feels great. I hit a couple racks and stored it in a case in my office next to my game room.

SW are great playing cues. I got interested in the veneers and woods. Before I knew it, I had 18 SW for some reason .:confused: I sold a package to Greg fall 13 and some later.

I am somewhat obsessive compulsive when I get interested. My primary player is a Frank Paradise with a Tascarella shaft, but I alternate a Barry Szamboti and am breaking in a new Tascarella. I will try and take a couple pictures for this thread.

Congratulations on owning a really nice SW, I know what you are feeling. The PH and GA are a great combo!

All the best,

Phil

Wow. Now that's cool!!!

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
A Bert Schrager "Bert's Basic Birdseye". One of the best purchases I've ever made. I bought one of Desi926 cues at the beginning of this year, no ferrule and it hits great.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Me too Larry..especially with the contrasting silver stitches for a subtle design element.

.Joey Gold and Bobby Hunter both make that exact same cue, and their price is $1,500...

Bobby wants $1300 for a linen wrapped Black or Red
Gold $1300 with linen wrap
Two of Bobby's creations

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Two Hunters, one went to JR Hendy, the other another Sacramento banger.
The OB is my "Hustlin" cue.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
As Larry said here sappo/Keith is a good guy - I know him, like him, and so does my better half Riva.....but that said...

I agree with Drop Pocket, and I 100% disagree with Larry thinking that DP was being overly cranky...

We have enough (too many) threads that get sour with negative posting - I didn't appreciate it happening right away to this one...

I think Keith's post was unnecessary/in poor judgment...of course we all know that it's how good the player is, that determines championship play...I started this thread only for the reason of our possible mutual curiosity of what cues we all play with...

New threads are what keep Steve's/our great site thriving, and I try to do my part with that...

Woulda been nice instead for somebody to say "Good idea for a new thread Ghost".

- Ghost

Hey Ghost. Good idea for a new thread.
Feeling better now? keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Two Hunters, one went to JR Hendy, the other another Sacramento banger.
The OB is my "Hustlin" cue.
Bill, that pink cue must be a conversation starter. Especially in San Francisco...;)

But hey, Bubba Watson uses a pink shafted driver, and he's one of the longest drivers of the golf ball on the pro tour!

~Doc

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Hi Miller,

All the best,
Phil

far out. this is really cool. small world the internet has created for like minds.

hope we have the opportunity to meet and chat sometime phil. (like minds kind of thing....)

dustin

(i briefly made the acquaintance of a man last weekend who owns 60 gina cues :eek:. yes, no mis-print, six-zero - as in sixty....)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I got this cue with some nice figure in it and its a solid player. Its a Falcon with a 3/8-11 pin and the wrap goes all the way to the bottom of the cue. The other cue I posted is a cue I just picked up for resale which might be gone tomorrow but is pretty cool, a ton of inlays in it.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I got this cue with some nice figure in it and its a solid player. Its a Falcon with a 3/8-11 pin and the wrap goes all the way to the bottom of the cue. The other cue I posted is a cue I just picked up for resale which might be gone tomorrow but is pretty cool, a ton of inlays in it.

i have seen the forearm of the cue you are having built by ken and aj - sweetest looking forearm in the shop..... spoke to qball today (or actually yesterday now....:eek:). he is building me two brothers - ebony/purpleheart and purpleheart/ebony sitcks.....

anyway....about three years ago, i scored a chunk of westinghouse micarta from a guy who is a custom knife maker....apparently it is a highly sought after commodity for knife makers as well (they use it for handles). qball is making me ferrules out of it (5 shafts). i'll tell him what's left (there should be enough material left for a couple more ferrules) is yours if you want it for your shafts....lemme know bro....

:cool:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
i have seen the forearm of the cue you are having built by ken and aj - sweetest looking forearm in the shop..... spoke to qball today (or actually yesterday now....:eek:). he is building me two brothers - ebony/purpleheart and purpleheart/ebony sitcks.....

anyway....about three years ago, i scored a chunk of westinghouse micarta from a guy who is a custom knife maker....apparently it is a highly sought after commodity for knife makers as well (they use it for handles). qball is making me ferrules out of it (5 shafts). i'll tell him what's left (there should be enough material left for a couple more ferrules) is yours if you want it for your shafts....lemme know bro....

:cool:

That would be awesome and I really appreciate the compliments and the offer. I know the plan was ivory ferrules, maybe he can do one ferrule in ivory and the other shaft with a micarta ferrule. I am excited for this cue, always wanted a gambler themed cue and I also believe it will be the first that Ken has made.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
That would be awesome and I really appreciate the compliments and the offer. I know the plan was ivory ferrules, maybe he can do one ferrule in ivory and the other shaft with a micarta ferrule. I am excited for this cue, always wanted a gambler themed cue and I also believe it will be the first that Ken has made.

done. just sent qball text hold on to westinghouse ferrule for fastlenny....

phil dade

Verified Member
From
far out. this is really cool. small world the internet has created for like minds.

hope we have the opportunity to meet and chat sometime phil. (like minds kind of thing....)

dustin

(i briefly made the acquaintance of a man last weekend who owns 60 gina cues :eek:. yes, no mis-print, six-zero - as in sixty....)

Hi Dustin,
Our power is out from a storm. Trying to post this from my cell I pad. You have a great cue for which I attest. Would love to meet sometime, realize I grew up in St Louis, moved when I was about 29.
All the best
Phil

phil dade

Verified Member
From
My Equipment

My Equipment

For years I played with a 19 0z Frank Paradise with a 28.5" butt and a 29,5" 13 mm Rubino shaft , 58" total, with moor M tip. The cue was unusual IMO because for its day and even now, the butt is thin. The white joint collar discolored so I had Pete Tascarella make a new shaft(in picture) and it is even better.

However, I like cues and switch around. My excuse is never the cue as I can adapt. It is a breakdown of fundamentals. Also pictured is a Barry Szamboti Hoppe and a new Tascarella I am trying to break in.

Last week, Mark Gregory finished redoing my Centennial, so i threw in a picture. New superspeed rubber, Simonis 860hr, pockers around 4.5, maybe a hair more.

Anyone coming to North East Florida has an open invitation.

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
redux...

redux...

I look through the thread archives every so often...thought the newer members might enjoy viewing this thread - and possibly adding to it.

- Ghost

P.S. And I think reviving certain threads from the archives is an excellent way of adding good content to the current site activity.

Last edited:

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Bruce I think this is a good idea. I am still playing with a Mezz with x700 shaft and a Zan medium tip.

I did try the Predator Revo for 4 weeks. I thought the hit was great but in the end I did not have the confidence with the cue that I do with the Mezz.

Ben