Cochran's

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
cohran's

cohran's

SJD
Not too sure about Pete's status, do you remember Bud Harris 3 C player?, didn't really gamble much, like most 3c players, ther was only a handful of us that did, Boston Shorty, Al Gibert, Myself, Bill Romaine.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
mr3cushion said:
SJD
Not too sure about Pete's status, do you remember Bud Harris 3 C player?, didn't really gamble much, like most 3c players, ther was only a handful of us that did, Boston Shorty, Al Gibert, Myself, Bill Romaine.
Mr3C, I didn't realize that Allen Gilbert (Gold) had spent time at Cochran's. I knew him pretty well in the late 60's when he was playing out of Tiff Payne's in North Hollywood.

But you're right. Very few of the top L.A. 3C players gambled for much of anything. Although a few of the top pool players who were also decent 3C players would gamble. But the average good 3C players remained "above it all"; and believed that gambling, like pool, was for bums.

Doc

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Bringin him up again

Bringin him up again

mr3cushion said:
SJD

Probably before your time, but One Eye Hank has been mentioned a lot early in this thread and now that you mention 3c, I can remember Hank also being a very good 3c player. When I visited the newly renovated Holywood Billiards (Cocharn's) several years ago they had an old tournament bracket on the wall from the old days and sure enough Hank's name was on it along with a lot of great 3c players. Mcgoorty was also one of the best.
Hank had a very powerfull stroke. I woud compare it to Larry Neville of modern day.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Suki;
Larry Nevel does have a very powerfull stroke for hitting the ball hard, my whole life I always thought the person with best stroke, was the person who gets the most amount of action on the cue ball with the least amount of effort. I've known many 3c players with powerfull stokes, but not with finese. I have a couple of videos on AZ Billiards of myself shooting some difficult trick shots, I think you'll be suprised to see how little effort I use and get so much action on the ball. Enjoy

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
mr3cushion said:
Suki;
Larry Nevel does have a very powerfull stroke for hitting the ball hard, my whole life I always thought the person with best stroke, was the person who gets the most amount of action on the cue ball with the least amount of effort. I've known many 3c players with powerfull stokes, but not with finese. I have a couple of videos on AZ Billiards of myself shooting some difficult trick shots, I think you'll be suprised to see how little effort I use and get so much action on the ball. Enjoy
Your Vidios Are Great And THe Only 3 cushion player that I know that played as good as you was the FROG.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Your Vidios Are Great And THe Only 3 cushion player that I know that played as good as you was the FROG.

where are the video's i cant find them. :confused:

thx

eric:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Fatboy;
Go to AZ Billiards, you know the other playground, and then on the main page goto AZTV and click on popular video's. Bill Smith Exibition at Chris's Billiards 1997 and 1983. Enjoy them.

NineBallPaul

Verified Member
Hawaiian Paul

Hawaiian Paul

Hey Grady -- Great thread, just found it. I thumbed my way to San Francisco in the summer of 1967, financed through playing pool. My goal was Haight Asbury, but I soon became bored and ended up in the Tenderloin, moving between Cochran's and the Palace.

What an education. I'm assuming that the guy you refer to as Hawaiian Paul was Paul Silva, as good a 9-baller as I ever saw. He robbed me playing for peanuts and sent me home broke!

Wish I'd taken careful notes back in those days. Never saw Ronnie, but Denny Searcey was the nuts.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
mr3cushion said:
I have a couple of videos on AZ Billiards of myself shooting some difficult trick shots, I think you'll be suprised to see how little effort I use and get so much action on the ball. Enjoy
VERY nice videos, Bill. And you had a pretty decent and knowledgeable crowd too.

You do have a good stroke, although you don't waste a lot of time lining up.;) I think many of the old time players, both pool and 3C, had to have good strokes to get the ball around the table on the old nappy cloths.

I played in the 1960's when I never saw some of the super fast cloth and heated tables they use today. There was good worsted cloth in some places, but nothing like what they started using later.

Do you still play out of Chris's?

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
VERY nice videos, Bill. And you had a pretty decent and knowledgeable crowd too.

You do have a good stroke, although you don't waste a lot of time lining up.;) I think many of the old time players, both pool and 3C, had to have good strokes to get the ball around the table on the old nappy cloths.

I played in the 1960's when I never saw some of the super fast cloth and heated tables they use today. There was good worsted cloth in some places, but nothing like what they started using later.

Do you still play out of Chris's?

Doc
For Gulfportdock In Life THe Old Will Become THe New. You Are A Very Sincere person. And It Showes.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Doc; No, I've been living in Florida for the last 5 years, the nearest place to play 3 cush is 95 miles away. The Exixbition at Chris's was played on heated Veerhoven Tables, but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
mr3cushion said:
...but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.
Well that's even more impressive then. If there are no billiard tables near you, have you picked up your pool game?

BTW-- thanks, Artie.

Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Doc; Most of the billiard rooms in Central Fl have only 4x8's at most, and honestly Doc, I get bored playing pool except for one pocket, I mean lets face it, how smart do you have to be playing nine ball to know you have to shoot the 4 ball after the 3.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
mr3cushion said:
Doc; No, I've been living in Florida for the last 5 years, the nearest place to play 3 cush is 95 miles away. The Exixbition at Chris's was played on heated Veerhoven Tables, but the video from 1983 was done on old unheated Brunswick Aniversery Table with a nap cloth.

mr3cushion,

That was some exhibition on the old Brunswick. That's the table I learned on. You needed dynamite in your stroke to move balls around on that table. Great video.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
Doc; Most of the billiard rooms in Central Fl have only 4x8's at most, and honestly Doc, I get bored playing pool except for one pocket, I mean lets face it, how smart do you have to be playing nine ball to know you have to shoot the 4 ball after the 3.

Note to self... self do not take 10 on the wire going to 15, against Mr.3C.
Nice video, Sir.

I particulary liked the fact that you showed a few misses before you made the shot. Some people (names upon request) need 47 takes to make a shot... and only show the one they make. Oh, the magic of editing.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
SJD;
Both the video's are unedited, the 1983 video I took myself setting up the camera for each shot at the best angle I thought would show the action of the cue ball. This is when the first portable video camera's and recorders came out.
The Chris's video 1997, was completely unedited also, it was a spare of the moment thing to flim it, not the best angles, but it worked.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
mr3cushion said:
Fatboy;
Go to AZ Billiards, you know the other playground, and then on the main page goto AZTV and click on popular video's. Bill Smith Exibition at Chris's Billiards 1997 and 1983. Enjoy them.

thank you, I will watch them tonite, Im driving from Vegas to LA, when I get into LA I will watch them.

thanks again,

eric:)

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Ran across this on ebay recently and was wondering if this was a photo of the Palace in SF.
[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/PALACE-BILLIARDS-1920s-PHOTOGRAPH-/370374268935?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563c06d807[/ame]