Cardone vs. the Professor - 1994

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bank the 10 cross corner into the (high side) back side of the 15. This shot angle, allows whitey to come three around naturally and land on the head rail about a diamond away from the corner pocket. you could easily move 6 or more balls to your side, and only leave your opponent a straight in on the one. This cue ball shot is Very controllable, this layout comes up ''all the time'' in all games.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, there have been some good suggestions (note the word "some":D).

I'll give Bill a chance to recall what he did in this situation. But at any rate, he can give us his thought process. If he doesn't recall what he did, I'll post the shot and result later today.

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Well, there have been some good suggestions (note the word "some":D).

I'll give Bill a chance to recall what he did in this situation. But at any rate, he can give us his thought process. If he doesn't recall what he did, I'll post the shot and result later today.

~Doc

How dare you 😂😂

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
You are right Chris. Much like women... shots that look good at 3:00AM, don't always look as appetizing when you wake up 😂.

LOL, nice one Mitch!

By the way, there are 2 reasons I dont like crossing the 12 to my side:

1) I still think the kiss is too close, may be on
2) If the 12 comes off his long rail and into the combo by his hole, it could cause some serious trouble.

I think the safest shot is coming off the 1 but I think if you can bank that 8 to your hole and hide him right there behind the 9 or keep him from seeing that combo, it could be a game changer.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I like stun drawing off the 1 ball down the long rail and ending below those 2 balls in Grady's pocket.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
you need a draw stroke otherwise you'll leave a bank on the 12

Really? The 12 would be makeable if you just roll into 6-15, but it doesn't look good enough % to turn the CB loose and move the 10, 2, and 7 (10 toward Bill's pocket.) It's not worth much, but rolling might move the 6 & 15 to positions where everything is doubled up from up table.

You think Grady would have shot that 12?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
This match was from the 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, played at Guys & Dolls. Even though it was the semifinal match, it was quickly thought to be the grudge match of the Century between two great 1P players and commentators. Buddy Hall and W.W. Woody did the commentating. They were in agreement that the winner would probably send the loser a get well card and flowers...:D

Grady just broke, leaving Bill in a tricky situation. What did Bill do, and what would YOU do? .....~Doc

View attachment 15883

The very first batch of tapes on one pocket that I ever bought included this one. I would always get 5, so as to get my discount. I just looked in the closet to see if I still had it or gave it away, and it's still there. I remember taking it to the pool room and we all sat around to view and discuss it. I remember they mentioned the Kim Steele tables several times during the tournament, and how well they played. Good job, Doc....

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I think the 2 is off by a hair. But look at the 13 off the 10. Similar shot but the 13 goes. If your gambling and can always play more games. In a limited game tournament, I think there are easier, safer options here but the 13 and getting on the other side of the stack would be very tempting. I think the 8 is also banking towards your hole after the cue comes off the 9. Im liking like this shot more and more heh.

I don't think the 2 is off - it looks like the 9 caroms off the 11 to adjust for the higher path that's needed. But I just wanted to play with you guys anyway so I had to write something. But I do not know which ball is the 13 so I'm confused about your shot. Am I mixing up the balls again?

Dave

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I think Bill's knowledge today is 10 times more then over 20 years ago. He moves much better now in M.O. Bill was a much better shot maker then.His knowledge today is as good as anybody. That is why they call him Dr.Bill.

baby huey

Verified Member
It looks like you can cross bank the one to your side and leave the cue ball on the end rail. It doesn't appear that the stripped ball goes cleanly into Grady's pocket. This is the passive shot of course and the possibility of leaving a cross bank with the one ball into the stack looms large when it's Grady's shot but if you just move the one ball a little bit to mid table your shot should be successful.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I don't think the 2 is off - it looks like the 9 caroms off the 11 to adjust for the higher path that's needed. But I just wanted to play with you guys anyway so I had to write something. But I do not know which ball is the 13 so I'm confused about your shot. Am I mixing up the balls again?

Dave

Ahh. Sorry. That must be the 11 that I called the 13. My eyes are going.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Knowing Billy like I do I think he would draw off the 1 ball down behind the 2 balls by Gradys pocket

treeMan

Verified Member
Knowledge nugget

Knowledge nugget

It looks like you can cross bank the one to your side and leave the cue ball on the end rail. It doesn't appear that the stripped ball goes cleanly into Grady's pocket. This is the passive shot of course and the possibility of leaving a cross bank with the one ball into the stack looms large when it's Grady's shot but if you just move the one ball a little bit to mid table your shot should be successful.

Nugget alert!

Jerry, I think you've brought up this valuable principle in another thread as well. Crossing a ball and going uptable is a common shot. However, for me at least, I never thought too much about the object ball except to not baby it and leave it on the oppo's side. I imagine I've often sent it close to my side rail without thinking too much.

The nugget here is to consciously leave the obj ball just past the middle of the table, ideally on a line towards your hole w the cue ball, to minimize the bank back opportunities you leave.

Thanks Jerry!

PS This is a hijack, not a comment and this particular situation :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, Bill must be busy working, so we'll post his shot. He'd lost the first game, so he may have been wanting to fire a quick win back at Grady for shock and awe value.

He did choose the kiss/combo on the 2 ball, which a few of you mentioned (I think Gold Crown was first). From the camera angle it looked like he had to shoot it backwards. He didn't pussy-foot around with it, and gave it a good smack. I won't illustrate the other balls' paths, but you can see the result.

Bill 2.jpg

Believe it or not, the 2 ball actually caught the corner pocket's lower point a little, causing it to rattle in the pocket, and teeter, but not fall.

Bill 3.jpg

I didn't even see it as a possibility. I probably would have come off the 1 ball, ala Jerry M. Naturally with the balls wide open, Grady was able to complete a workmanlike 8 & out. But Bill did end up winning the match on double hill. Both were gracious, and both complained about their own mediocre prowess in the match.

Jimmy mentioned the Kim Steel tables. At the time, they were considered to be the best made tables. And they are fine tables, but the pocket shelves are a little too shallow. These particular tables had fairly generous pockets with good cloth, so that may have been a reason why many of the players were being aggressive in their shot selections.

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Really? The 12 would be makeable if you just roll into 6-15, but it doesn't look good enough % to turn the CB loose and move the 10, 2, and 7 (10 toward Bill's pocket.) It's not worth much, but rolling might move the 6 & 15 to positions where everything is doubled up from up table.

You think Grady would have shot that 12?

From where the 15 is located, Fireman Casey banks the 12 eight out of ten times and doesn't split open the stack. But Casey probably banks better than Grady:p