Jersey Red vs. Bob Ogburn

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
. He got down on a short table shot twice, then pulled up. He ended up following the 10 ball, trying to place the CB up by the far corner pocket. Unfortunately the aim or speed was a smidge off, which caused the CB to scratch in the pocket by which he wanted to leave it.

I think the reason he scratched is that he had to cut the 10 slightly to the left to be sure it got under the 13 rather than coming off the 13 toward Red's pocket, which is what I would have been afraid of.

beatle

Verified Member
absolute disaster shot for bob there. as he gave up a real chance of winning for a shot that does little and a sellout that cost him the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
absolute disaster shot for bob there. as he gave up a real chance of winning for a shot that does little and a sellout that cost him the game.
You're right. I'm not sure why he chose that shot, although he might have believed that Red wouldn't shoot the 11 (by Red's hole) from the position of the upper pocket.

He also may have been afraid of leaving Red a bank if he tried a short table shot. My guess is that Bob was not a super experienced 1P player at that time, although I could be wrong. RA and Kelly had been tearing it up for quite awhile, and Cliff and then Efren were just coming into dominance in 1P.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
yea doc, we give sometimes credit to great players for being more than great shooters. many of them werent good one pocket players or really smart enough to be good at it in the first place. that is not a reflection on bob as i never met him. but he must have come around to beat all of our world beater seniors.