Did the Dennis Victory Settle a Age Old 1P Debate?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
A lot of the shots that broke Scotts back were the straight backs that Dennis made to start his run. A lot of them he fired in 100 mph.. My point is if the table wasnt so easy and sliding in on those banks and it was lets say worn in cloth on those pockets and Dennis had a couple of them hang he might not have been so confident.. You know the table we have at Lucky 7s if you touch the rail the ball doesnt go.. You fire a couple of times at those pockets and they graze the rail and they dont go you will start banking pocket speed real quick and the way that table they played on rolled off it would have changed alot of things. To me this was like watching the first day of Derby City bank pool warming up and watching Dennis fire in every bank.
Yes you are right that the pocket are tight when you are shooting from the middle of the table because you have no side rail to help you. I think Dennis realized better than Scott on what shots to fire at because he had a decent margin for error and could still have them fall.. I think Scott treated the table like a 4 1/4 inch pocket with worn in cloth..
The bottom line is just because you get the first shot doesnt mean you are going 8 and out every time, If you lose 4 or 5 games with 7 to 0 leads you are not going to beat anyone.

Frost squandered leads several times in the match when he should of had complete control by choosing ill advised shots. He wasn't thinking well in the match, I believe he along with Dennis put too much pressure on him and he didn't deal well with it because of that. Frankly speaking, Orcullo is just playing better than Frost at this time, no denying that, and anyone who can't see that are only fooling themselves:sorry Frost imo needs to humble himself and realize that there are other players that are at least his equal and a few that may have surpassed him, to enable himself to get back on the track he wants to be on.

When Frost is comfortable he plays so good that it's hard to believe he can be beaten, getting comfortable is the key for Frost. He certainly has the knowledge and understanding of how to execute most all shots and the skills to perform well, his only weak area in comparison to Pag and Orcullo is his ball striking skills. To help off set that imo he needs to play on tables with larger pockets then he would feel more comfortable and respected by both Pag and Orcullo and would be a much more intimidating player.

Dr. Bill

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Diamond has a 4 1/2" standard but you can order any size you want (at least down to 3 7/8".) I don't know what other manufacturers are doing.

Our problem is that one pocket players prefer tighter pockets than the pool-playing public the manufacturers need to consider in their marketing.

Not to hijack the thread, but when most folks mention Diamond tables, they are talking about the pro or pro-am. 4.5" pockets with diamond's specs and deep shelf, to me at least, represent the best balance for pro's to test their skills across all pool disciplines. YMMV.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
A lot of the shots that broke Scotts back were the straight backs that Dennis made to start his run. A lot of them he fired in 100 mph.. My point is if the table wasnt so easy and sliding in on those banks and it was lets say worn in cloth on those pockets and Dennis had a couple of them hang he might not have been so confident.. You know the table we have at Lucky 7s if you touch the rail the ball doesnt go.. You fire a couple of times at those pockets and they graze the rail and they dont go you will start banking pocket speed real quick and the way that table they played on rolled off it would have changed alot of things. To me this was like watching the first day of Derby City bank pool warming up and watching Dennis fire in every bank.
Yes you are right that the pocket are tight when you are shooting from the middle of the table because you have no side rail to help you. I think Dennis realized better than Scott on what shots to fire at because he had a decent margin for error and could still have them fall.. I think Scott treated the table like a 4 1/4 inch pocket with worn in cloth..
The bottom line is just because you get the first shot doesnt mean you are going 8 and out every time, If you lose 4 or 5 games with 7 to 0 leads you are not going to beat anyone.

Didn't they bring in new rails from the Diamond factory for this contest? If so, it is possible that the table had new and "slick" rails, but older bed cloth. A bit odd for playing conditions perhaps.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Frost squandered leads several times in the match when he should of had complete control by choosing ill advised shots. He wasn't thinking well in the match, I believe he along with Dennis put too much pressure on him and he didn't deal well with it because of that. Frankly speaking, Orcullo is just playing better than Frost at this time, no denying that, and anyone who can't see that are only fooling themselves:sorry Frost imo needs to humble himself and realize that there are other players that are at least his equal and a few that may have surpassed him, to enable himself to get back on the track he wants to be on.

When Frost is comfortable he plays so good that it's hard to believe he can be beaten, getting comfortable is the key for Frost. He certainly has the knowledge and understanding of how to execute most all shots and the skills to perform well, his only weak area in comparison to Pag and Orcullo is his ball striking skills. To help off set that imo he needs to play on tables with larger pockets then he would feel more comfortable and respected by both Pag and Orcullo and would be a much more intimidating player.

Dr. Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeppers....

I think Scotts attitude and thus, allowing (4 1/4'' pockets) to be accepted was THEE mistake. No different than Sugar Ray picking the ring size for his win. You've gotta position yourself way before a game like this is made....that this one condition is a MUST, for the match to happen.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeppers....

I think Scotts attitude and thus, allowing (4 1/4'' pockets) to be accepted was THEE mistake. No different than Sugar Ray picking the ring size for his win. You've gotta position yourself way before a game like this is made....that this one condition is a MUST, for the match to happen.

They should play two more times.. 5 inch pockets with new cloth and 4 inch pockets with worn in cloth

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Dr. Bill

This is the gospel truth... If Frost would just follow these guidelines in all his future matchups he would have a much better chance of winning... The larger pockets would improve his pocketing skills and build his confidence...

If you watched the match, you could very easily see when Scott got comfortable at the table... His body language was completely different when he was confident, and it showed. He moves around the table quicker, his step is more lively... When he's down, his movements are sluggish and you can see the doubt in his demeanor...

If anyone reviews the tapes, look at day one, Scott trailing 5/0 to the finish of day one.. 10/8 Scott's favor...

Another burst of energy happened for him somewhere around the 34/23 mark in the match.. He came alive, and put up a 4 spot on Dennis somewhere around that score... He played those games confidently, and you could clearly see he was comfortable at the table...

Spot on post Dr. Bill... Now he just needs to get his head up & heed your advice...