Orcollo/Chohan Match?????

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Whats the normal Jelly these days on auctions out there in the world LSJohn ?

What I have seen is about 10%, but it should vary depending upon whether and how much the pool is cut by the operators. We gave a non-winning placer about 14% of the gross in West Monroe (which I thought was too much because we paid almost as much as we "won." Not my decision, but I think those who "jelly" at all tend to give too much.)

The "rake" there was 5%.

Dead Empty

There's only one way to stake a pool player.

There's only one way to stake a pool player.

It has to be for a non-short set length of time and you keep a red number, expenses included. Anything in the clear after expenses is split until a red number develops. When the red number evaporates you split again. The backer only can end the arrangement early if the number is in the red. Either can end the arrangement if there is no red number. A 50 - 50 split is fine here. Have a lawyer write the contract.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It has to be for a non-short set length of time and you keep a red number, expenses included. Anything in the clear after expenses is split until a red number develops. When the red number evaporates you split again. The backer only can end the arrangement early if the number is in the red. Either can end the arrangement if there is no red number. A 50 - 50 split is fine here. Have a lawyer write the contract.

How'd you ever get Dead Empty thinkin' like that? :)

Only way 50/50 makes sense.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
If I could go back in time and pick a couple of pool players to stake 100% of the time over their entire pool playing careers i would gladly split the money 75/25 their way... They not only were very good players, but incredibly talented at matching up games they could win at... When they lost, ( a rarity for sure ) it was almost always a small amount and when they won, it was whatever their opponent could get ahold of...

Actually several players come to mind, here's just a few who's win/loss % was very very high... Tall Jimmy, Jersey Red, Jack Cooney, and Efren Reyes... I'm sure there are many others but I'd like to have staked all 4 of these guys and suffered 100% of their losses and got 25% of their wins....:D

The way the Ghost is trying to match up leads me to believe he would fit nicely into this group as well...:D

OTOH, my good friend Rod wouldn't be a sound investment, he's got way to much gamble for a stake horse to show a profit...:lol

baby huey

Verified Member
I can see Jeff is raring to see this match come off. He's up and posting at 5 AM this morning.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I can see Jeff is raring to see this match come off. He's up and posting at 5 AM this morning.

Dennis by 14 lengths if they are running a mile and a half...
If it's a 300 yd race, either could win it...:)

You're right, I like watching great matches, but I believe Dennis would dominate in this one... Alex/Dennis would be the match, but it would have to have a 60 second shot clock or I couldn't watch it...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm up at 4:30 every morning Jerry, it's in my DNA...:D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Something to consider: Around 7/8 years ago T-Rex won the one pocket and Dennis won the nine ball at the Hard Times tournament.

They played two sets of one pocket after the tournament and Tony destroyed him. Orcullo' backer bet everyone who would bet on the side and several won $$ betting on Tony.

I know it was several years ago and Dennis is better at one pocket now, but if that Tony shows up, this could go either way.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Something to consider: Around 7/8 years ago T-Rex won the one pocket and Dennis won the nine ball at the Hard Times tournament.

They played two sets of one pocket after the tournament and Tony destroyed him. Orcullo' backer bet everyone who would bet on the side and several won $$ betting on Tony.

I know it was several years ago and Dennis is better at one pocket now, but if that Tony shows up, this could go either way.

On another note, Cooney during his prime years. How would he of done?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
On another note, Cooney during his prime years. How would he of done?

I'm afraid he couldn't beat any of the top 5 players of today... In fact I think they could give him a ball and win.. Jmho. Now if you ask about Ronnie or Red in their prime against today's best players, I'd give a slight edge to the modern day players, not because they know the game any better, because they don't, but because they just shoot so damn straight... Ronnie was never an exceptionally straight shooter and neither was Red, but they both could run 8 and out with the best players of their day... They just couldn't hold up to the pocketing abilities of these guys today, I believe they would lose that battle...Again, that's just how I see it...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

No question John, Tony does some amazing things playing one pocket and he is definitely a top 10 player in the world IMO, but if they play a long set, without a shot clock, Tony has no chance IMO...

He's a fast player and Dennis has become a slow and deliberate player... The two styles seem to clash and the winner in top player matches is usually the player taking all the time... Alex/Scott... Alex won. Dennis/Scott... Dennis won.

If they play this match, one of Tonys stipulations should definitely be the use of a shot clock...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yea I dont think they will either but I agree with Jeff and others, I would not/could not play without one if I were Tony.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I always wondered why nobody asked could they stake me ?

Just wonder where I'd of wound up if I would've been staked.:)

I'd like to stake you to a red ant bed you rascallion for running in Tall Jimmy on me when I was working at Buck's Beer Barrel... :lol.

baby huey

Verified Member
Dennis is in great form right now. So much about pool is how confident and ready to mix it up you are. On paper Dennis looks like a big favorite but T-Rex is formidable. I am clearly a T-Rex fan and thus I'm biased in my opinion but I still believe that Tony can win this set if he can get this close to the last day. He likes to play tough matches and he'll shoot at his pocket. His banking skills, especially off angle long rail banks are as good as anyone. I believe this will be the deciding factor in their match. Dennis won't be able to shoot at his hole like he did against Scott. T-Rex will make him pay unlike Scott who couldn't bank or run balls consistently. Also the match is in Fremont and Tony will enjoy home cooking and fan support.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Dennis is in great form right now. So much about pool is how confident and ready to mix it up you are. On paper Dennis looks like a big favorite but T-Rex is formidable. I am clearly a T-Rex fan and thus I'm biased in my opinion but I still believe that Tony can win this set if he can get this close to the last day. He likes to play tough matches and he'll shoot at his pocket. His banking skills, especially off angle long rail banks are as good as anyone. I believe this will be the deciding factor in their match. Dennis won't be able to shoot at his hole like he did against Scott. T-Rex will make him pay unlike Scott who couldn't bank or run balls consistently. Also the match is in Fremont and Tony will enjoy home cooking and fan support.

If they use a 45 or 60 second shot clock I'll take Dennis for a $100.00 sweat bet...

If they tee it up without a shot clock, bet more if you like...I'll take Dennis...

Here's your chance to get that $50.00 back from Daisy Mae's...

baby huey

Verified Member
This is for Dr. Bill. What is the over and under on how many posts we'll get on this match? Right now we are at about eight or so and I'm predicitating it will be in the high thirties by match time?

youngstown

Verified Member
Orcollo/Chohan Match?????

I'd give 2-1 odds they don't use a shot clock. Any takers?