5 rack challenge...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I just want to thank Jeff and the rest of you guys for coming up with another way for me to steal some more money... I will make sure I go last that way you suckers load up the pot...lmfao

Last minute rule change... Hacker is barred...:D. Just kidding, he's not barred, he's just limited to 1 try... :) Just kidding, any member who shows, whether in the tournament or not, is welcome to have a go at the 5 rack challenge as far as I'm concerned... The more the merrier and the bigger the pot...

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Jeff,
You were right I made more than 5 on my first attempt...looking forward to playing some in Chicago...actually made 11 on the first rack...no ball in hand...lucky lucky...

B

baby huey

Verified Member
It's funny how times have changed. I remember beating Ronnie Allen and Ritchie Florence in the same night with this prop. They were shooting at twenty eight and couldn't get there but they could shooting at twenty seven. Actually I was more afraid of Ritchie than Ronnie. Ronnie packed it in after losing $100 but Ritchie made me bet all my cash which was $160 as I started with $60. It was close but he just couldn't make twenty eight. I think it was because he didn't know how to break the balls. Nowadays I think some great players are shooting at the high fourties maybe more. For any you who knew Ritchie, he was one of the greatest players who loved action I ever knew. I miss him very much. Pool would be a lot better today if he were alive. I'm gonna make myself cry.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I thought it might be a fun thing to do in between matches if we are not playing Golf on the 6 x 12 all the time... It's a kinda keep in stroke, or get in stroke thing...

Cost is $5.00 per attempt... All the money goes into one pot, you get Unlimited tries over the course of the tournament, each costing $5.00, right up until the finals of the one pocket, or whatever time is set at the start of the contest...

It's the old 5 rack one pocket challenge... Rules are very simple, Ball in hand anywhere in the kitchen and you break open the rack and play the CB wherever it stops... Run as many balls as you can for that rack and repeat this 5 times and add up all the balls you made in the 5 racks... If you scratch on the break, that rack is done and you subtract 1 from your total at the end of your 5 racks...Every miss, and every scratch ends that rack and for every scratch a ball must be deducted from the overall total... Highest total ball count made in your pre break designated pocket for the 5 racks gets the whole pot...winner take all...

I'm good for probably 10 tries at the cash...( $50.00 for those of you who ran out of toes and fingers) Anybody else think they can run a few balls?

I am in for this as well!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
It's funny how times have changed. I remember beating Ronnie Allen and Ritchie Florence in the same night with this prop. They were shooting at twenty eight and couldn't get there but they could shooting at twenty seven. Actually I was more afraid of Ritchie than Ronnie. Ronnie packed it in after losing $100 but Ritchie made me bet all my cash which was $160 as I started with $60. It was close but he just couldn't make twenty eight. I think it was because he didn't know how to break the balls. Nowadays I think some great players are shooting at the high fourties maybe more. For any you who knew Ritchie, he was one of the greatest players who loved action I ever knew. I miss him very much. Pool would be a lot better today if he were alive. I'm gonna make myself cry.

We had the pros shooting at 37 and they didn't like it.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I remember Schmidt said he'd take 5-1 to run all 15 in one pocket. Break from the kitchen, and then shoot.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
We had the pros shooting at 37 and they didn't like it.

That sounds more realistic to me Joe...it sounds easy but one bad rack where you are hooked, not you have to get to 35 in4 racks (or whatever the goal is).

I'm sticking with my prediction, the winner of this will get between 33-37 in 5 racks (with no ball in hand after the break)

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
That sounds more realistic to me Joe...it sounds easy but one bad rack where you are hooked, not you have to get to 35 in4 racks (or whatever the goal is).

I'm sticking with my prediction, the winner of this will get between 33-37 in 5 racks (with no ball in hand after the break)
my prediction of 50 was with bih......you have to break a certain way to do that--i watched corey do this for hours, he ran so many 15s, i got sick of watching him and went home......

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
After spending 4 hours of my life I will never get back on this yesterday I think that the winner will be in the low 30's. Without ball in hand.

With ball in hand possibly a 38 or 39...don't think any of the members will get more than that...(cept maybe ghostie)

My average's without bih was 4 and with bih 6....not an easy prop.

Even with a high run of 11 I still had several 1 and done. :frus

The best I did was 26 no ball in hand, and 30 with...very good practice routine...thanks Jeff...

I will however throw 50 at it just to see where I stack up against the other members though...

B

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
With ball in hand possibly a 38 or 39...don't think any of the members will get more than that...(cept maybe ghostie)

B

Bille...put down that pipe..you've got me confused with Bill Stroud...:D...

I'm no ball-runner - I'm a mover - I wouldn't mind it if all One Pocket match-ups and tournaments only played 3 and safe...:heh

I wouldn't even let anybody waste their $$$ by staking me in that ball-running contest...:eek:

- Ghost

onepockethacker

Verified Member
After spending 4 hours of my life I will never get back on this yesterday I think that the winner will be in the low 30's. Without ball in hand.

My average's without bih was 4 and with bih 6....not an easy prop.

Even with a high run of 11 I still had several 1 and done. :frus

The best I did was 26 no ball in hand, and 30 with...very good practice routine...thanks Jeff...

I will however throw 50 at it just to see where I stack up against the other members though...

B

What odds can I get on scoring 75 with ball in hand?

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
leathalmoto

Try this, straight into the second ball, medium speed, one tip inside and one tip low...cue comes back across the table. Call the same pocket from the side you broke from...

B

I get almost the same break every time doing this....and can't run more than 5.

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
leathalmoto

Try this, straight into the second ball, medium speed, one tip inside and one tip low...cue comes back across the table. Call the same pocket from the side you broke from...

B

Bille, don't be giving my competition any tips. we are supposed to struggle together at this stuff.lol Ive been hitting the regular 1 pocket bread but harder and without inside English to get the cb under and away from the stack. Don't go giving Ashley no freebies, come to Augusta and make us both pay for them at the same time. lol

lethalmoto

Verified Member
leathalmoto

B

Thanks for the tip, and don't listen to Frenchie I need all the help I can get

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Bille, don't be giving my competition any tips. we are supposed to struggle together at this stuff.lol Ive been hitting the regular 1 pocket bread but harder and without inside English to get the cb under and away from the stack. Don't go giving Ashley no freebies, come to Augusta and make us both pay for them at the same time. lol

I think that's the break I used to try to do when doing the 5 rack game. Like my normal 1p break but hard enough to have the CB go short rail, long rail and then back towards the middle of the table. Balls spread a little more dud to the harder break shot..but don't listen to me, remember I ended up going bust shooting at 9!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
The Red Raiders break...

The Red Raiders break...

Jersey Red's break...

Split the top two and swing the CB tight outta the corner, long rail short rail back into the balls.... Use inside draw to get to the long rail without scratching...medium speed...

Red explained this method would almost always provide an opening shot... When shooting the 5 rack challenge, it's imperative to get an opening shot all 5 times... Give it a try...

If memory serves, he would bet against 28 for anybody, but would shoot at 27 himself... Of course, no ball in hand...

I would guess that on today's equipment the very top players of today would beat up on that 28 number... I might bet against them going to 38 though....:)