Dennis Orcollo vs Tony Chohan - "The Big One"

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Tony plays an aggressive game that's really hard to fade. He moves balls towards his hole and hides Whitey every time. That's the second best move in 1P.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Dennis's shot selection was also suspect tonight. With ball in hand, he elected to pass up the ball sitting 1 inch away from his hole to shoot another ball that he ended up rattling because he really didn't have a full pocket. That's the kind of shit we do!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
daniel
if possible could you put a little video of "great shots " from the match to show when the stream is offline??
the clear out shot soon sfter the break tony shot in one of the early games was incredible
3 balls all around dennis pocket
tony jacks up send the cue ball flying in the air lands on the balls they all spread and one drifts to tony side
the cue ball hits the foot rail and goes up table to hit a stripe sitting below the side pocket on dennis side to stop the cue ball behind the stack
OMG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:,,,,,,,,,:eek:,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Okay, Lads. What is the score so far? Does Doc have to creep over to Zany to find out the standings in a big one-pocket match???..:(

~Doc

10-3 Tony's winning

I started watching when it was 4-1 and watched it until they finished. It was the first time I had seen Dennis broke down. Missing routine shots for him, a couple of ball in hands, easy banks and bad position play. Tony looked fluent, almost like he was free rolling and really showed some finesse! I can see why people say he banks so good now, he didn't miss many.

The one good thing for me that has come out of watching day 1 is this. Now, I wont be so hard on myself when I am missing or playing bad or lose. I just witnessed one of the best 1p players in the world miss, get rattled and eventually broke down. So even thought I knew it can happen to anyone, actually seeing it happen, puts it perspective for me.

I still think Dennis is going to win this race but not sure what the final score will be.

Excited to see day 2!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Okay, Lads. What is the score so far? Does Doc have to creep over to Zany to find out the standings in a big one-pocket match???..:(

~Doc

Its 10-3 Doc and towards the end of play, Tony was loose and firing at anything. Dennis was regaining some consistency. It should be interesting to see if Tony can sustain the type of firepower he is showing. Its truly beautiful.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
What was so special about last night is that I didn't fall asleep watching 1P. I think this was the first time it ever happened. :lol

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Its 10-3 Doc and towards the end of play, Tony was loose and firing at anything. Dennis was regaining some consistency. It should be interesting to see if Tony can sustain the type of firepower he is showing. Its truly beautiful.

Dennis plays a game all of us old one pocket players understand. He just executes better than anyone else except possibly Alex. Tony's creativity and the shots he sees that no one else does is on another level, and he has the confidence to shoot them.

He did get lucky a few times but he also had a couple brutal scratches that may have cost him a game or two and the score could have been 10/1 or 10/2.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Dennis Orcollo vs Tony Chohan - "The Big One"

Dennis plays a game all of us old one pocket players understand. He just executes better than anyone else except possibly Alex. Tony's creativity and the shots he sees that no one else does is on another level, and he has the confidence to shoot them.

He did get lucky a few times but he also had a couple brutal scratches that may have cost him a game or two and the score could have been 10/1 or 10/2.

I think the other thing that Tony has going for him is his height. On or close to the rail he's able to jack up and stun or even power draw with great ease and accuracy where shorter players (myself included) just settle for going through the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I dont know if you guys saw it last night but I forget what game it was, Tony made an incredible 2 rail long shot that was just crazy....

The OB was near Dennis' pocket and the CB maybe mid table a couple of diamonds in from the rail. He 2 rails the OB and makes it in his hole but the CB took a natural path to the long rail, short rail, long rail and 3 railed out of there like it was perfect...

I don't know Tony as a person but seems like a nice guy. That being said, I have never thought his game was all that everyone said it was...all I can say is, if he plays like he did yesterday, he has changed my point of view on his skills. The boy sure can bank!

A while back he was going to play Shannon Murphy a set of banks and a set of 1 hole. Shannon was going to give Tony 9/8 playing banks and Tony was giving up 9/8 playing one pocket. I remember at the time thinking, ok Tony may win the one hole but he will not like the banks....I may have to change my tune now :)

keoneyo

Verified Member
When the balls go in, an aggressive shooter is called creative and gutsy. When they fall short he is called reckless and has no deep knowledge of the game.
Its in Tony's temperament that is unique. Its what brought him to the dance and he is going with it.

I reviewed a match between Efren and Tony where Tony shot the same way but his balls didnt go in and hung up. Efren succeeded.

Lets see if this approach is going to hold up.
I still think Dennis is the better skilled player. But Tony is of the ilk where he could break molds.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Re. Dennis's play in the first 8 games approx...people (Roy, Jay, Dennis himself, etc.) have been saying that Dennis wasn't comfortable with the table, or with his new moochy cue, etc...

But imo, world champion that he is, I truly believe he was shell-shocked by Tony's ballistic firepower...not saying that he stayed, or will stay shell-shocked - but I think he was for the first coupla hours yesterday.

- Ghost

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I can't take away from Tony's play, but I do believe he played over his head, at least better than I've seen him play before. He also made a few dumb mistakes that Dennis did not take advantage of, that he usually does. And then Dennis' play was no where near the level he normally plays at. He made several simple mistakes rattling balls that turned the evening into 10-3, that could just as easily been 5-6 or 6-5. I honestly don't think either player will continue their performance for the next 3 days, and so I predict Dennis pulls it out.