Old Equipment

brexit

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, GA
Hi guys - I’m at a friend’s house tonight and she was excited to show me her Grandfather’s old Sport King, cues and clay balls. I really enjoyed seeing some pieces from “another era”.

The balls look particularly cool (either clay or ivory) and I thought I would share to see if anyone could offer up some background or information about this stuff? The table was bought from a pool hall in Eastern Kentucky that was ina town called Ashland in the 50’s.

P.S. I could have started a thread about all the bad decisions I made to be down 5 games playing one pocket today...but this seemed more interesting :)

Brexit

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hi guys - I’m at a friend’s house tonight and she was excited to show me her Grandfather’s old Sport King, cues and clay balls. I really enjoyed seeing some pieces from “another era”.

The balls look particularly cool (either clay or ivory) and I thought I would share to see if anyone could offer up some background or information about this stuff? The table was bought from a pool hall in Eastern Kentucky that was ina town called Ashland in the 50’s.
They're definitely "clay" balls, as Dave said. I've played with clay balls oodles of times in the 1950s, and into the early '60s (although not the zig-zag issue). They have that dull sheen, and make a deeper "click" when striking each other. I seem to recall them playing heavier. They were great pool balls, and rolled true; however they cracked relatively easy, and even chipped!

~Doc

EtDM

Verified Member
The first and fourth cues from the left look particularly interesting,

I'm not sure what the first cue is but the fact that it's jointed is pretty interesting, there are relatively few two piece cues from that era floating around.

I believe the 4th might be a Brunswick Balke-Collender, based on the remains of the label, but it's hard to say for certain without a better pic.

I'd love to see close up pics of both of them, especially of the joint and label.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I remember that ball set in a pool room 1968, with purple cloth in Murphysboro IL. Just west of SIU Carbondale, they had chunks missing around the zigZag.