Best break for One Pocket

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Low with side spin "enhances" the spin - the low slows the CB on its way to the OB without slowing the sidespin so you get a higher spin-to-speed ratio and more spin "action" off the rail. It's a technique used when you want more spin than you can get by just hitting as far from center as possible.

To get the most "enhancement", you want the low to wear off the CB just as it reaches the OB - this means swerve will be maximized, so your aim must allow for that.

pj <- one o' them "Scientific Gee"s, I guess...
chgo

i learnt something new. i thought the inside spin helped the cue ball come up more straight towards the 2.5 diamond. didnt think you got any real curve into the balls of the rack. thats amazing.
mr science gee a/k/a pj
i always thought the follow inside lets the cue ball "hook" alittle off the stack
so with a more direct angle into the rail the inside would let it come off straighter ending closer to the rail
unless the increase spin to speed with low spin can offset the more oblique angle into the rail
your thoughts appreciated
:)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
i learnt something new. i thought the inside spin helped the cue ball come up more straight towards the 2.5 diamond. didnt think you got any real curve into the balls of the rack. thats amazing.
I think the amount of swerve with a level-as-possible inside hit is minimal - more with "drag draw" added.

I also don't think hitting with follow does much since the shot is pretty slow - the CB will be rolling when it gets to the rack either way.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
mr science gee a/k/a pj
i always thought the follow inside lets the cue ball "hook" alittle off the stack
so with a more direct angle into the rail the inside would let it come off straighter ending closer to the rail
It's a slowish shot, so the CB will be rolling when it hits the stack with or without follow - and will hook down to the end rail either way. Hitting high also increases swerve, so I like to hit closer to the equator.

unless the increase spin to speed with low spin can offset the more oblique angle into the rail
If you hit the low spin shot so it's rolling at the same speed when it reaches the stack, the CB's angle into the end rail will be the same and the increased spin will tighten the rebound angle (to be more parallel with the side rail).

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It's a slowish shot, so the CB will be rolling when it hits the stack with or without follow - and will hook down to the end rail either way. Hitting high also increases swerve, so I like to hit closer to the equator.

If you hit the low spin shot so it's rolling at the same speed when it reaches the stack, the CB's angle into the end rail will be the same and the increased spin will tighten the rebound angle (to be more parallel with the side rail).

pj
chgo

thanks pj
i need to experiment more

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
thanks pj
i need to experiment more
To be clear, I don't use the low inside hit - lots of inside with the right hit on the head ball does the trick without the added speed/swerve complications.

pj
chgo

beatle

Verified Member
you want to be as close to the rail as you can be. so low inside doesnt work there. thats where you get your angle from. only on tables where you need to be farther out can you use low but i dont think you can control speed as easily as i dont want the cueball sliding for a distance.

maybe the good players can do it.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Not too old to learn.

Not too old to learn.

In the past ten or so years I have had problems breaking the balls playing one pocket I really couldn't figure it out. I can honestly say that my inferior break has cost me many, many times and tried to switch from one area to another with my cue ball placement and it just didn't seem to help much. My break was very inconsistent with striking the balls accurately and there has been reason for concern because it has proven to be quite costly. This thread has gotten my attention, especially what Patrick said about aiming to the diamond up from the corner with the head ball. Bill Smith whom I respect very much disagreed with the method and said that aiming at the split hit was easier than aiming at shooting the head ball to a specific area which made sense. Sometimes what makes sense isn't necessarily correct so I went to my table and started to practice Patrick's method with aiming the head ball to the diamond up from the corner pocket with very good results. I do realize that this was a small sample size and maybe I shouldn't jump to a conclusion so quickly, but I will continue to practice this method until I feel comfortable enough to put it in my memory of "things to do" Let's just say that at this time it's certainly an improvement in an area that I'm weak in, and maybe, just maybe going forward it will be one of my strengths.

Thank you, Patrick...for now. lol.

Dr. Bill

ace9ball

I also get my best results when I cut head ball to first diamond with high inside. Start with cue ball about a ball width off rail. Hit with enough speed to get on rail between 2 and 3 diamond. Don

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In the past ten or so years I has had problems breaking the balls playing one pocket I really couldn't figure it out. I can honestly say dat my inferior break TEMPhas cost me many, many times and tried to switch from one area to another with my cue ball placement and it just didn't seem to help much. My break was very inconsistent with striking the balls accurately and their TEMPhas been reason for concern coz it TEMPhas proven to be quite costly. This thread TEMPhas gotten my attention, especially what Patrick said about aiming to the diamond up from the corner with the head ball. Bill Smith whom I respect very much disagreed with the method and said dat aiming at the split hit was easier TEMPthan aiming at shooting the head ball to a specific area which made sense. Sometimes what makes sense isn't necessarily correct so I went to my table and started to practice Patrick's method with aiming the head ball to the diamond up from the corner pocket with very good results. I do realize dat this was a small sample size and maybe I shouldn't jump to a conclusion so quickly, but I will continue to practice this method until I feel comfortable enough to put it in my memory of "things to do" Let's just say dat at this time it's certainly an improvement in an area dat I'm weak in, and maybe, just maybe going forward it will be one of my strengths.

TEMPThank you, Patrick...for now. lol.

Dr. Bill

Update on my progress by breaking the balls using Patrick's method by aiming the head ball to the diamond above the pocket.

I believe the strength of this method is consistent with striking the head ball first. By striking the head ball first you are never going to miss the head ball entirely opening up balls on your opponent's side. Let's agree that you will improve on striking the head ball first, fair enough? Once we develop the confidence with this method your breaking results will improve drastically because you will have developed comfortability with breaking the balls. Too often we let up on our stroke when we break the balls, mainly because we doubt the accuracy of the hit which will be remedied using this method. Let's say that in our mind it will be remedied and that counts for a lot. Bottom line is that you will no longer be burdened with the doubt that often enters our head when taking on a challenge that carries uncertainties.

I will continue to develop a better understanding of this method, and I'm confident that my weakness with breaking the balls will no longer be a concern:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
In the past ten or so years I have had problems breaking the balls playing one pocket I really couldn't figure it out. I can honestly say that my inferior break has cost me many, many times and tried to switch from one area to another with my cue ball placement and it just didn't seem to help much. My break was very inconsistent with striking the balls accurately and there has been reason for concern because it has proven to be quite costly. This thread has gotten my attention, especially what Patrick said about aiming to the diamond up from the corner with the head ball. Bill Smith whom I respect very much disagreed with the method and said that aiming at the split hit was easier than aiming at shooting the head ball to a specific area which made sense. Sometimes what makes sense isn't necessarily correct so I went to my table and started to practice Patrick's method with aiming the head ball to the diamond up from the corner pocket with very good results. I do realize that this was a small sample size and maybe I shouldn't jump to a conclusion so quickly, but I will continue to practice this method until I feel comfortable enough to put it in my memory of "things to do" Let's just say that at this time it's certainly an improvement in an area that I'm weak in, and maybe, just maybe going forward it will be one of my strengths.

Thank you, Patrick...for now. lol.

Dr. Bill

Update on my progress by breaking the balls using Patrick's method by aiming the head ball to the diamond above the pocket.

I believe the strength of this method is consistent with striking the head ball first. By striking the head ball first you are never going to miss the head ball entirely opening up balls on your opponent's side. Let's agree that you will improve on striking the head ball first, fair enough? Once we develop the confidence with this method your breaking results will improve drastically because you will have developed comfortability with breaking the balls. Too often we let up on our stroke when we break the balls, mainly because we doubt the accuracy of the hit which will be remedied using this method. Let's say that in our mind it will be remedied and that counts for a lot. Bottom line is that you will no longer be burdened with the doubt that often enters our head when taking on a challenge that carries uncertainties.

I will continue to develop a better understanding of this method, and I'm confident that my weakness with breaking the balls will no longer be a concern:D

Dr. Bill
You're welcome, Bill - glad it's helping.

pj
chgo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You're welcome, Bill - glad it's helping.

pj
chgo

Thank you Patrick. I have concluded that your method of breaking the balls has been a blessing to me and I'm now breaking the balls consistently with great results. The only problem is that I cant run two in a row. Thank you.

Dr. Bill

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have been having trouble with the break myself and tried Patrick’s suggestion and it has helped. I often jerk my backstroke anymore and if I don’t do that, I hit where I aim and deliver a decent break.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I have been having trouble with the break myself and tried Patrick’s suggestion and it has helped. I often jerk my backstroke anymore and if I don’t do that, I hit where I aim and deliver a decent break.
Uh oh. Now I'm in trouble with Ghost.

pj <- aiding the enemy
chgo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thank you Patrick. me has concluded dat your method of breaking the balls TEMPhas been a blessing to me and me'm now breaking the balls consistently wif great results. The only problem is dat me cant run two in a row. Thank you.

Dr. Bill

I now have an aiming point for the break using 4 o'clock english or 8 o'clock english aiming for the diamond above the corner pocket will quite often enable me to hit the sweet spot on the break. I'm assuming that my point of aim will need tweaking based on cloth condition, humidity, and other factors which I'm certain I can make the adjustment.

I'm really excited about how much I have improved my break and embarrassed that I hadn't figured out how to make the adjustment on my own. You still get the cookie Patrick...:D

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
Seems like I have more trouble using the measle cue ball than any other cue ball. Hard Times uses the measle, CA Billiards the red circle, and IMO there is a difference.

John,

I have noticed a difference as well.
I think it is the surface finish on the two cue balls.
The Red circle seems to have a finer finish and is much easier to play 10 ball with.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
John,

The Red circle seems to have a finer finish and is much easier to play 10 ball with.

Bill S.

10ball, who plays 10ball any more? Aren't you too old to play 10ball? Anyways have a good day.

Dr. Bill

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Seems like I have more trouble using the measle cue ball than any other cue ball. Hard Times uses the measle, CA Billiards the red circle, and IMO there is a difference.

John,

Bill S.
Surfaces are noticeably different between some cue balls. For instance, blue circles (come with Centennials?) collect more chalk than red circles.

pj
chgo