Women?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
There’s no TV fan base for women playing one pocket, and very little for men, thus no money in it for them... Why would they even try to learn the game?

The few women who are involved in pool play nine ball, that’s where the money is for them...

Imo they could be much more competitive with men playing one pocket rather than nine ball, but it would take quite a few years of learning the game before that could happen, and with no financial incentive, I don’t see it happening...

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
There are no physical barriers that keep women from competing with men at OP, like there is in golf, for example. Women have the same monetary incentive as men (tournaments, gambling, and challenge matches).

Granted there is a learning curve, but if that is to be used to explain why women don't compete at OP, why doesn't it apply to young men or boys and keep them from learning the game also?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Pam Cimarelli has been in New Orleans quite a bit. She plays 1P pretty well. Shoots super straight and banks real well.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Karen Corr and Jeanette Lee play 1P, but I've never had a chance to watch long enough to see how well they move, or whether they just lean on their pocketing and CB skills.

And Ming plays it well enough to make it hilarious that she tried to get me to "teach" her (for $25game.) :D

We never got far enough for me to find out how much weight I should give up to make the game "fair." :heh

youngstown

Verified Member
Women?

Karen Corr and Jeanette Lee play 1P, but I've never had a chance to watch long enough to see how well they move, or whether they just lean on their pocketing and CB skills.

And Ming plays it well enough to make it hilarious that she tried to get me to "teach" her (for $25game.) :D

We never got far enough for me to find out how much weight I should give up to make the game "fair." :heh

Give up or get? Honest question. I don’t know who Ming is.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Tammy Jones

Tammy Jones

If there were too every be a great one hole player in this era, Tammy Jones would be my pick. This gal played, gambled, bet and won all the time. Managed her billfold with the best of em. I would be VERY surprised if she's NOT milking this cow somewhere in a retirement city. I never met another women/player gambler like her before.

beatle

Verified Member
women by nature are more passive than men. and men in the pool room more often are type A personalities. and one pocket has and is primarily a gambling game, so women are not inclined to argue over spots and also tend not to gamble at pool as much.

more play in bars and leagues at 8 ball.

youngstown

Verified Member
Women?

Karen Corr could cash in any of our Member events. She beat Chris Szeuter in one pocket at Derby years ago and it wasn’t a fluke. The Black Widow cashed in the banks and One Pocket events before too, so I’d say the same about her. Based on that info, I’d say they play at our level or maybe a hair above many of us.