Member patronage

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I went to Florida this week for a little vacation. I visited a pool hall that i frequent when I lived there. After all the pleasantries we got talking about what I've been up to. I mentioned the members only tournament in Philly, and to my surprise I was amazed at the number of members of onepocket.org that were there. I asked them why they don't participate in the tourney. I received different answers as you could expect. But the one answer that could be fixed is the one who said I don't play good enough. If they had a tournament for lesser players I would be interested in. Which raises the question of why not. Isn't this the format to advance our great game. Could we have A/B slots. Just food for thought. Don't kill the messenger.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
That sounds like a very real possibility. Let's get some responses here from the members who might play, if they could make the scene. As for the rest of you, don't be buying no wigs and fake 'staches. You know who you are.

Count me in - if there's gas in my hack and my laundry is back you can tell 'em I'll be there. If I'm still on my feet and there's something to eat . . . etc.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
That sounds like a very real possibility. Let's get some responses here from the members who might play, if they could make the scene. As for the rest of you, don't be buying no wigs and fake 'staches. You know who you are and we do too.

Count me in - if there's gas in my hack and my laundry is back you can tell 'em I'll be there. If I'm still on my feet and there's something to eat . . . etc.

As you were - duplicate rant here.

beatle

Verified Member
as in any competition those that realize they have little chance of winning also realize that it isnt worth playing.

that is why poker has grown and pool has died. poker everyone thinks they have a chance of winning and beating anyone there. and they do.

in pool virtually always the top players take off all the money. so only a fool plays or someone that wants to lose but it does not matter to them for the pleasure of playing.

so unless you have a handicapping system that really makes it even you have little hope of large participation.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i am one of the players that realizes i wont go far in a tourney with really good players
i went to the members tourney knowing this
because
i wanted to meet the guys
i got a chance to play many of the members outside of tournament matches
and got a chance to sweat some really good onepocket
and i won $5 off mitch........:p.......:)
which he refused to autograph...........:heh
i also met alot of nice locals to play and sweat matches with.
i would hope some lesser players would consider some of these reasons to attend
and not say fuhgettaboutit because they cant win.....:D
just sayin

unoperro

Verified Member
I think you are on to something.

If I was a host venue I would hold qualifying trnmnts for my lesser players. They at least get a chance to play a few games.

Also if the tourney has open spots why not give the locals a spot or 2 or 3?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Member patronage

lll;261539i won $5 off mitch........:p.......:) which he refused to autograph...........:heh [/QUOTE said:
Larry I’ve had a change of heart. Send me the fin and I will be happy to.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I went to Florida this week for a little vacation. I visited a pool hall that i frequent when I lived there. After all the pleasantries we got talking about what I've been up to. I mentioned the members only tournament in Philly, and to my surprise I was amazed at the number of members of onepocket.org that were there. I asked them why they don't participate in the tourney. I received different answers as you could expect. But the one answer that could be fixed is the one who said I don't play good enough. If they had a tournament for lesser players I would be interested in. Which raises the question of why not. Isn't this the format to advance our great game. Could we have A/B slots. Just food for thought. Don't kill the messenger.

I’m wondering if you would consider a “B” bracket at other venues such as Bogies in Houston or is this just a thought for Philly?

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I do not know anything about boogies so I can't comment there. This subject came up in general conversation with friends at the pool room the other day. If you did make A slots and B slots doesn't guarantee that people will show to play in that. Just food for thought as I said.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

If I could play in a $100 tournament where I was the worst player, I’d play in that tournament once a month. Maybe more.

Jim

beatle

Verified Member
all well and good. you guys go for the social aspect only. thats fine but if you want it to grow that another story.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's a good idea, but I think we have a problem that we don't have many verifiable B-players. (Not "verifiable" in the usual sense of participating enough, but verified B-caliber player.)

I can name very few, and even fewer whose names I would mention knowing they wouldn't be insulted: Me, vapros, Miller, LLL, One Pocket Guy, Tyler Bob, TroutmanMo (Maurice, the Pompitous of Love.)

If you think you are a legit "B", add your name on this thread and see how much bitching you cause. :heh

Anyone willing to name someone else as a legitimate "B" -- go for it.

A good 1-day "B" tournament could be put together with only 8 players: Round Robin, 2 groups of 4, two games with each guy in your group. Half the guys would play 6 games plus possible playoffs, and the other half would play at least 12 games. (Two best win-records in each group play Round two, same format. Best overall win record is champ. With 4 tables, during Round 2, 2 of the tables would be open for the other four guys to match up or play another mini- RR.)

Needing only four tables (and in a pinch only two) it could be played almost anywhere, but 5 more-or-less central locations are certainly open to us.: Southaven, Olathe, Bogies East Houston, Buffalos, Big Dog Des Moines.

I'm not volunteering to manage this, but I would sure help if a couple of others are interested in doing preliminary work also.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am not sure where I would come in at as far as skill level among our group, especially since I rarely get to play. I have played a lot of members and I feel I am somewhere in the middle. I can beat some and there are plenty who can give me 9/7, 10/7 and more.

That being said, I would also play in any tournament if I was the worst player because I have nothing to lose (other than my entry), and can gain a lot of experience, knowledge, kinship, etc...

And although I think beatle is right (best players usually win), in a race to 3 and/or 2, they don't always have to!

Not saying this is a bad idea, I support anything I can that would help the popularity of the game grow!

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
LSJohn has expressed interest to me in having a B type Members Tourney.
I think it would be great for the Members.
But.. who’s gonna Handicap everyone.
I will go on the record and volunteer my handicap for further considerations.
Certified C player~T

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think if the objective is to draw more participants our best bet is to work out a "Round Robin" format that guarantees all players a lot of games against many other players and an opportunity to advance into the Sunday money rounds.

32 players playing in four groups, playing 3 games against each other player guarantees everyone 21 games over Friday and Saturday. Each group is responsible to complete their required play by end of day Saturday.

I think I would use blind draw to form the groups so that it is possible for lesser players (like me) to get lucky and fall into a group with "B" players.:heh:heh

We could consider paying some money to each group winner, we could consider advancing two players from each group, hell, you might even be able to advance 4 players from each group and have a 16 man single elimination on Sunday (which would take 4 rounds).

I think the answer to our problem is to find a way to keep the most players engaged in the tournament as long as possible.

P.S. 4 rounds on Sunday too much? Play the first round or even two as a race to 2, then the last two rounds a race to 3.

JMHO:D

Last edited:

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I like that round robin aspect. You get to play a lot of games which should make coming to the event enticing. As Darryl pointed out playing 21 games vs playing 6 would make the trip a little better.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
If I could play in a $100 tournament where I was the worst player, I’d play in that tournament once a month. Maybe more.

Jim

I think a lot of players would agree with you, myself included. If I just got to play 2 sets in a double elimination tournament, so be it. The purpose of this organization should be the promotion of one pocket at all levels.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
A good 1-day "B" tournament could be put together with only 8 players: Round Robin, 2 groups of 4, two games with each guy in your group. Half the guys would play 6 games plus possible playoffs, and the other half would play at least 12 games. (Two best win-records in each group play Round two, same format. Best overall win record is champ. With 4 tables, during Round 2, 2 of the tables would be open for the other four guys to match up or play another mini- RR.)

Needing only four tables (and in a pinch only two) it could be played almost anywhere, but 5 more-or-less central locations are certainly open to us.: Southaven, Olathe, Bogies East Houston, Buffalos, Big Dog Des Moines.

I'm not volunteering to manage this, but I would sure help if a couple of others are interested in doing preliminary work also.
And don't forget Lacy's Cue in Chalmette (N.O.). Plenty of tables, good food, and no smoking.