Scott Frost

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Scott is very specific. He called out Danny Smith when he started playing back. Then, when Efren and Billy were playing, he asked for the winner. This is after beating Efren soundly in 2016. Now he wants to play a clearly diminished Efren or a not yet ready Billy Thorpe. Then he asked to play Danny again. All the while, Tony is dying to play anybody. Crickets from Scott. It's very clear to me that Scott is picking his spots. If he thought he was the best, he would win way more money beating Tony than Danny or any other American. He knows he isn't ready, which is a credit to him. His ego is substantial, and he is not writing checks that he can't cash. But he's not the best American. Since 2015, Tony beat everyone but the top two guys, and he beat Dennis the first time. He beat SVB, he beat Busty, Corey won't play, he beat Danny, he beat Lunda, he beat Josh Roberts and JHall wants weight.

And don't forget: Shannon offered to play any American even except Tony with one week's notice. He wants 8-7 from Tony.

And now again, I agree with you, lol...you should be a l.., oh nevermind =D

I also forgot about the Shannon bet, I am surprised no one took him up on that, playing even. I love Shannon's game and some of his early vids are what inspired me to play more...that being said, I think today I would have to bet on a few of the other guys who are playing the game more often and matching up (Scott, Danny, Corey, SVB, Lunda to name a few)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Shannon is tough to beat, not only because he's a great player, but because of his intensity and tremendous desire to win. Sometimes that's tough to fade.

Shannon got to the top at an early age, especially in one-pocket, but now, at aged 47, he'll be battling the inevitable effects of aging. He may not be the favorite to beat the top guys anymore, but no one is chasing him to play, either...:cool:

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Shannon is tough to beat, not only because he's a great player, but because of his intensity and tremendous desire to win. Sometimes that's tough to fade.

Shannon got to the top at an early age, especially in one-pocket, but now, at aged 47, he'll be battling the inevitable effects of aging. He may not be the favorite to beat the top guys anymore, but no one is chasing him to play, either...:cool:

~Doc

I also like that he bets his own....not many of the top guys do that...

chicagomike

Verified Member
You always say my point better.
It's like you make a living making points or something...

What would you think of Chip vs Scott? I think that would be a great match up. And at this point in time I think i'd put my money on Chip.

I think Chip would have a hard time with Scott. I don’t think he has the same deal of knowledge or experience to be ready for big match with Scott.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I really like Scott’s game. I’m not so much a fan of the power one pocket as I am regarding his defense and end game moving.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Scott played very traditionally against Danny. I think he knows that power one pocket fails against good ball strikers. He also knew Danny would give him chances if he was just patient. Guys like Alex and Dennis want you to blow the stack open and have to defend 10 or 11 balls. They see a crack of light and bank one in and run out on you. But against lesser players, that relentless pressure will crack you.

Power one pocket is designed to break players who won't shoot that eight foot shot or that off angle bank. Once you show weakness, the power one pocket just overwhelms you. Great shooters think nothing of shooting what we would consider a tough shot and draining it. They then make a bank and run out. Scott knows that now and modified his play according to the opponent.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Regardless of the current level of Shannon's game, if he wants to play I want to watch.

Nonirregardless, one might say.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Scott played very traditionally against Danny. I think he knows that power one pocket fails against good ball strikers. He also knew Danny would give him chances if he was just patient. Guys like Alex and Dennis want you to blow the stack open and have to defend 10 or 11 balls. They see a crack of light and bank one in and run out on you. But against lesser players, that relentless pressure will crack you.

Power one pocket is designed to break players who won't shoot that eight foot shot or that off angle bank. Once you show weakness, the power one pocket just overwhelms you. Great shooters think nothing of shooting what we would consider a tough shot and draining it. They then make a bank and run out. Scott knows that now and modified his play according to the opponent.

Very shrewd analysis, counselor.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I don't get on here often but felt the need to chime in on it. Scott and Tony would be a great match for us fans to watch. 10 ahead would probably be a solid number for them to play with their pace.

Scott when he was at his best there was no one beating him. He had beat Efren about 8 times in a row. Alex lost to him too. I really liked his game when he was playing alot of rotation chasing Mosconi points. I also liked his game when we were filming the Power One Pocket as we went through so much of the game of one pocket. As much as it was a lesson for me to watch I am sure it tuned Scott up quite a bit with all of the hours spent doing the videos.

Efren will always be the best obviously because in his prime he gave the 2nd best guy 9/7. Who else has done that? Scott could have won more titles and still is totally capable. He just needs to be out there playing and hungry. He is playing much more now.

Keep in mind when he played Dennis that big set he was also opening up the poolroom and not playing. It was still a battle with Dennis having to pull some very low percentage stuff being put in terrible traps he shot out of. Scott if he played his game would have beat Dennis without question. Alex is someone who when his head is in it just seems unbeatable.

I think it would be great to see Scott and Tony play. Maybe something can be put together that works for the players incentive and obviously people getting behind both of them. I don't stream very often anymore but would dust off the equipment for that one.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I don't get on here often but felt the need to chime in on it. Scott and Tony would be a great match for us fans to watch. 10 ahead would probably be a solid number for them to play with their pace.

Scott when he was at his best there was no one beating him. He had beat Efren about 8 times in a row. Alex lost to him too. I really liked his game when he was playing alot of rotation chasing Mosconi points. I also liked his game when we were filming the Power One Pocket as we went through so much of the game of one pocket. As much as it was a lesson for me to watch I am sure it tuned Scott up quite a bit with all of the hours spent doing the videos.

Efren will always be the best obviously because in his prime he gave the 2nd best guy 9/7. Who else has done that? Scott could have won more titles and still is totally capable. He just needs to be out there playing and hungry. He is playing much more now.

Keep in mind when he played Dennis that big set he was also opening up the poolroom and not playing. It was still a battle with Dennis having to pull some very low percentage stuff being put in terrible traps he shot out of. Scott if he played his game would have beat Dennis without question. Alex is someone who when his head is in it just seems unbeatable.

I think it would be great to see Scott and Tony play. Maybe something can be put together that works for the players incentive and obviously people getting behind both of them. I don't stream very often anymore but would dust off the equipment for that one.

Easy Lenny, in Scotts prime @ Derby in 2008ish he was getting weight from Efren and still getting beat, he beat him in a set up exhibition in AZ.

Dennis won that set convincingly, lets not recreate history just to stick up for ur guy, most sets one player has to make great shots to win that's not an excuse.

I have:

1. Tony
2 Corey
3. SVB
4. Scott/Josh/Billy/Chip all interchangeable

Scott in his prime is a different story, but nothing in the past year looks anything like that.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Easy Lenny, in Scotts prime @ Derby in 2008ish he was getting weight from Efren and still getting beat, he beat him in a set up exhibition in AZ.

Dennis won that set convincingly, lets not recreate history just to stick up for ur guy, most sets one player has to make great shots to win that's not an excuse.

I have:

1. Tony
2 Corey
3. SVB

Scott in his prime is a different story, but nothing in the past year looks anything like that.

Overall, I don’t put anyone over Efren, even my old friend Ronnie Allen, but Scott had his number when playing in AZ and beat him a few times. They were not exhibition games either and the bet was fairly substantial at that time.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX

I have:

1. Tony
2 Corey
3. SVB

Also Hall is a force to be reckoned with when he can behave. I'd definitely have him in that 4 grouping.

baby huey

Verified Member
Funny about playing styles. A few years back when Dippy Dave was gambling, the only one of the top players to beat him consistently was Scott. Dave got the same games from the others and won his share but not with Scott. So, in my mind Scott gives up weight against common opponents better than the others but his game lacks against the other top pro's. Go figure.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Scott Frost

Funny about playing styles. A few years back when Dippy Dave was gambling, the only one of the top players to beat him consistently was Scott. Dave got the same games from the others and won his share but not with Scott. So, in my mind Scott gives up weight against common opponents better than the others but his game lacks against the other top pro's. Go figure.

I think because Scott’s poweronepocket style kills poor ball runners. Dippy won’t make enough loose balls to make the difference. He’s a far better mover than shooter but as mentioned before Scott’s style puts pressure on mortals. Top players will spike in the tough shot and get behind Scott’s balls. Dippy simply can’t do enough damage to keep Scott’s tactics from working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Also Hall is a force to be reckoned with when he can behave. I'd definitely have him in that 4 grouping.

I agree also with this, I left him off because he asks for weight from all those guys to gamble, Justin @ Buffalo's last year and scott right now wants nothing to do with IMO.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Here is Scotts Facebook post from today:

Scott Frost is with Mike Chapple and 3 others at Sky Harbor, Phoenix, Arizona.
8 hrs · Phoenix, AZ
Glad to be home who’s ready to play a big set of Onepocket at a neutral location in Louisville at Jdiddy Swords poolroom? Evan Lunda, Danny Smith, Chip Compton, Josh Roberts let’s rock n roll...

So, who has the best shot out of this group. I would pick Josh i think.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Here is Scotts Facebook post from today:

Scott Frost is with Mike Chapple and 3 others at Sky Harbor, Phoenix, Arizona.
8 hrs · Phoenix, AZ
Glad to be home who’s ready to play a big set of Onepocket at a neutral location in Louisville at Jdiddy Swords poolroom? Evan Lunda, Danny Smith, Chip Compton, Josh Roberts let’s rock n roll...

So, who has the best shot out of this group. I would pick Josh i think.

Chip would have my vote.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think Scott is a "candle burns twice as bright" player. I like his game and have really enjoyed some of his commentary, but I personally do not think he will ever get there again. It is one of those things however where it was truly revolutionary while it lasted.