Scott Frost

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Scott has been working on his game and has several good results. Is it time for Scott to be considered the best American 1P player or does Tony still hold that title?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Although it’s all relative I think Scott is less aggressive in taking OMG shots :D
(That’s a good thing ......jmho )

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would say Tony still holds that title as he has been and is getting ready to be in big money matches with the best on the world and not only won once but also is getting a lot of momentum lately in people who are favoring him in the upcoming match.

That said, if Scott is playing his game, I don't think Tony can beat him and would love to see that match up as well!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I am a Scott and Tony fan, having played both and sweated as many of their money matches as I could. I was there in Las Vegas when Scott won his first big money match (10k) with Keith McCready. I watched Tony’s game jump up faster than any other one pocket player I have played and watched. I was giving him 9/7 when he was young and in no time I was getting 9/7 and did not like it.

If I had to pick one, I would pick Tony because in a long session, his mechanics are better. Richie Florence told me years ago if he saw a flaw in an opponents mechanics, that was a weakness that would show up in a long session. It may not show up in Scott’s game spreading it out over a few days, but it is there.

Scott’s proved time and time again that if he is not the best, he is right there, and he does this with mechanics that make you wonder.

Off course there are exceptions, and heart and desire are a big part and both of these guys have plenty of that.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I am a Scott and Tony fan, having played both and sweated as many of their money matches as I could. I was there in Las Vegas when Scott won his first big money match (10k) with Keith McCready. I watched Tony’s game jump up faster than any other one pocket player I have played and watched. I was giving him 9/7 when he was young and in no time I was getting 9/7 and did not like it.

If I had to pick one, I would pick Tony because in a long session, his mechanics are better. Richie Florence told me years ago if he saw a flaw in an opponents mechanics, that was a weakness that would show up in a long session. It may not show up in Scott’s game spreading it out over a few days, but it is there.

Scott’s proved time and time again that if he is not the best, he is right there, and he does this with mechanics that make you wonder.

Off course there are exceptions, and heart and desire are a big part and both of these guys have plenty of that.
Never one to question Uncle John but SF is hitting them like "Old Scott". Tony still has too much playfulness in his game that he sees stuff that is just a little too aggressive or wishful when maybe it's OK to stall for an inning. When it works it's highlight reel stuff. His ability to work off a straight in ball with his height and knowledge nobody else does as well. Scott also does the little stuff so well and can pull back on the horsepower when the odds are wrong or danger is too high.

If I had to back Tony I would be in rehab in a month. Having said that I love his game and heart.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
That's a match up I'd really like to see, just watched the Frost vs Smith match.
If Scott played that style against Tony how do you think it would effect the results? Could Tony's offense overcome Scott's defense?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That's a match up I'd really like to see, just watched the Frost vs Smith match.
If Scott played that style against Tony how do you think it would effect the results? Could Tony's offense overcome Scott's defense?

I think Scott’s offense and defense is a bit higher than Tony’s. Tony comes with the impossible more than anyone, when it’s working.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Scott has been working on his game and has several good results. Is it time for Scott to be considered the best American 1P player or does Tony still hold that title?

I'd still give that title to Tony.

I've been saying since Buffalo's that Scott's been playing well but I still don't think we've seen enough to say he's where he was at 7 or 8 years ago.

He played well against Danny, but Danny also didn't do himself any favors that match.

And I wouldn't put a lot of stock into a race to 5 exhibition match and winning by two.

I really hope he gets back in there and stirs up some big stuff. I love his game.
Need more data!

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I'd still give that title to Tony.

I've been saying since Buffalo's that Scott's been playing well but I still don't think we've seen enough to say he's where he was at 7 or 8 years ago.

He played well against Danny, but Danny also didn't do himself any favors that match.

And I wouldn't put a lot of stock into a race to 5 exhibition match and winning by two.

I really hope he gets back in there and stirs up some big stuff. I love his game.
Need more data!
Don't kid yourself. Dennis hates to lose. The only argument I would make is a smart guy would lay down to possibly improve his odds (wagerwise) against Tony...but I'm not saying or even implying that. Dennis did not look happy.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Man, that would be one hell of a fun match to watch -- if Tony and Scott were both on top of their games!!! I am already salivating at the thought of the highlights that would surely come out of that!!

OK not a great choice of words on my part lol, but damn that would make for one hell of a great match to watch and study!!!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Man, that would be one hell of a fun match to watch -- if Tony and Scott were both on top of their games!!! I am already salivating at the thought of the highlights that would surely come out of that!!

OK not a great choice of words on my part lol, but damn that would make for one hell of a great match to watch and study!!!

I can’t even imagine a better matchup. PPV would be an all time high:D

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I've spoken with Tony before about this match up. Tony stated that he has offered to play Scott multiple times before with no response.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Don't kid yourself. Dennis hates to lose. The only argument I would make is a smart guy would lay down to possibly improve his odds (wagerwise) against Tony...but I'm not saying or even implying that. Dennis did not look happy.
I wasn't implying Dennis wasn't trying.
But i'll never believe a race to 5 determines the better player.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Scott played well in Arizona. He underestimated Danny in New Orleans and got embarrassed. He committed himself to working out, eating right and practicing. It paid off. He played smart against Danny, letting Danny get impatient and give games away.

That is all we have seen from Scott Frost, except two no cashes in Buffalo's and Big Dog's One pocket classics. He beat Danny on his own table with brand new cloth when Danny was in give up mode.

He's not asking to play the winner of Tony and Dennis. He's calling out guys down the food chain, like Efren, Billy Thorpe and Evan Lunda. Does that sound like a guy who thinks he is the elite? Or someone who is looking for something soft?

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Scott played well in Arizona. He underestimated Danny in New Orleans and got embarrassed. He committed himself to working out, eating right and practicing. It paid off. He played smart against Danny, letting Danny get impatient and give games away.

That is all we have seen from Scott Frost, except two no cashes in Buffalo's and Big Dog's One pocket classics. He beat Danny on his own table with brand new cloth when Danny was in give up mode.

He's not asking to play the winner of Tony and Dennis. He's calling out guys down the food chain, like Efren, Billy Thorpe and Evan Lunda. Does that sound like a guy who thinks he is the elite? Or someone who is looking for something soft?

You always say my point better.
It's like you make a living making points or something...

What would you think of Chip vs Scott? I think that would be a great match up. And at this point in time I think i'd put my money on Chip.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I usually agree with your assessments Joe and not saying you are far off the mark here but as for my 2 cents, before Scott stopped playing, I had him at #3 in the world behind Alex and Dennis. After Tony jumped up and beat Dennis, that changed things so I have Tony at #3 now. Scott is lower down the list and his exact number would depend on what Scott shows up.

I still think Scott beats Danny, Chip, Thorpe, Lunda, Justin and any of the others who are in the top 10 but not quite top 3.

All that being said, I still think skill-wise that match (Tony vs Scott) would be as great as any I would like to see (other than Alex vs Dennis if they were truly playing their best trying to beat each other).

Plus, maybe he is just working his way up the list, and as he takes one down he moves up the ladder rung to face the next one up!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I usually agree with your assessments Joe and not saying you are far off the mark here but as for my 2 cents, before Scott stopped playing, I had him at #3 in the world behind Alex and Dennis. After Tony jumped up and beat Dennis, that changed things so I have Tony at #3 now. Scott is lower down the list and his exact number would depend on what Scott shows up.

I still think Scott beats Danny, Chip, Thorpe, Lunda, Justin and any of the others who are in the top 10 but not quite top 3.

All that being said, I still think skill-wise that match (Tony vs Scott) would be as great as any I would like to see (other than Alex vs Dennis if they were truly playing their best trying to beat each other).

Plus, maybe he is just working his way up the list, and as he takes one down he moves up the ladder rung to face the next one up!

Scott is very specific. He called out Danny Smith when he started playing back. Then, when Efren and Billy were playing, he asked for the winner. This is after beating Efren soundly in 2016. Now he wants to play a clearly diminished Efren or a not yet ready Billy Thorpe. Then he asked to play Danny again. All the while, Tony is dying to play anybody. Crickets from Scott. It's very clear to me that Scott is picking his spots. If he thought he was the best, he would win way more money beating Tony than Danny or any other American. He knows he isn't ready, which is a credit to him. His ego is substantial, and he is not writing checks that he can't cash. But he's not the best American. Since 2015, Tony beat everyone but the top two guys, and he beat Dennis the first time. He beat SVB, he beat Busty, Corey won't play, he beat Danny, he beat Lunda, he beat Josh Roberts and JHall wants weight.

And don't forget: Shannon offered to play any American even except Tony with one week's notice. He wants 8-7 from Tony.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I’ll agree Scott’s not quite ready for Tony but if Scott picks up some more low hanging fruit and can stick to training, I think they could have a great match in the near future.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada

Agreed. It just means who was better today.