How to use Copy and Paste for posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Copy and Paste for posting

Below are a set of instructions for using cut and paste to post. This comes in handy especially when making long posts where you don't want to risk losing anything. These are pictures from my computer screen. The large red text notes are helpful instructions to supplement the picture.

If anything goes wrong when hitting "Submit Reply" on the last step, you still have your text in the program Notepad. Just repeat the steps from step 4. This will save you from retyping anything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66pvfilotA]Here[/ame] is a video on youtube that shows copy and paste also.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by iusedtoberich; 10-18-2008, 04:08 AM.

This is the next step.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by iusedtoberich; 10-07-2008, 12:59 AM.

Comment

This is the next steps.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is the next step..
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the next step...
          Attached Files

Comment

This is the last step.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for putting this together! Just to add a couple of points:

1. There is a 10000 character limit per post on OnePocket.org -- I would guess that's about 2000 words, or about three pages of text, per post.

2. You can use any word processing program of course, not just Notepad.

And as a reminder if you use Notepad or any other word processor to prepare your posts, ALWAYS NAME & SAVE YOUR DRAFTS while you work along -- it will save you a lot of frustration!

And most of all, thanks to every single person that makes the effort to post here -- you have helped record the history of a unique sport and culture, you have informed & educated us, and of course, you have entertained us. Thank you!
              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
              -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Question

Steve, maybe you can clear this up for me. What's the difference between 'cutting' and 'copying' before we paste? My impression is that when you cut, you are shipping out that material and it will be gone, while copying allows you to both send and keep it in the file.

Thanks -
                If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

Originally posted by vapros
                  Steve, maybe you can clear this up for me. What's the difference between 'cutting' and 'copying' before we paste? My impression is that when you cut, you are shipping out that material and it will be gone, while copying allows you to both send and keep it in the file.

Thanks -

Yes, you are correct. I wanted to name the thread "copy and paste" instead of "cut and paste" like I did. I can't edit the title to fix it. But the pictures show the copy method.

Steve is right about using any word processor. The only reason I picked Notepad is because it is on everyone's computer if you are using Windows. If any Mac users have any trouble I can help them also (I use a mac).

Comment

Originally posted by iusedtoberich
                    Yes, you are correct. I wanted to name the thread "copy and paste" instead of "cut and paste" like I did. I can't edit the title to fix it. But the pictures show the copy method.

Steve is right about using any word processor. The only reason I picked Notepad is because it is on everyone's computer if you are using Windows. If any Mac users have any trouble I can help them also (I use a mac).
                    To iusedtoberich I went to post reply and I wrote a lot on one pocket and then I hit Submite reply and I cant find were it went. Where did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Artie Bodendorfer
                      To iusedtoberich I went to post reply and I wrote a lot on one pocket and then I hit Submite reply and I cant find were it went. Where did it go?
                      I went to post reply on the bottom left of the page and when I was done I hit Submit Reply did I do something Wrong? Did I loose it again or were did it go.

Comment

Originally posted by Artie Bodendorfer
                        I went to post reply on the bottom left of the page and when I was done I hit Submit Reply did I do something Wrong? Did I loose it again or were did it go.

Try this Artie. When you finish typing an article, move the mouse so the little vertical line is in front of the first word you want to highlight.

Then, press the left button of the mouse and drag across and down the whole article you wrote. Sometimes the mouse can be finicky and not want to highlight everything. If it doesn't work the first time just click again and start over at the top of the article.Just keep re-doing it till you get the whole thing highlighted blue.

Then click the right button of the mouse and find "copy" on the list.

Line up the arrow on copy and push the left button.

Now the article is saved and can be "pasted" in another format such as "notepad", "workpad", "compose on your email" etc.

To find notepad or workpad hit the green start button at bottom left.......then all programs.........then accessories.......... then follow the arrow to the right of accessories and you will see a list which will include workpad and notepad.

Open Notepad or workpad and then make sure the vertical line is blinking on the page. You may have to point the arrow and click the left button

Now push the right button and go down to "paste".

Click on Paste and the article should appear.

Now it's saved and you can do the reverse to copy and paste it back to the one pocket forum if subit fails.

I hope this works and is not too confusing. Although it's much easier if you have someone at your side going thru the steps.

good luck.........george
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by gbru
                          Try this Artie. When you finish typing an article, move the mouse so the little vertical line is in front of the first word you want to highlight.

Then, press the left button of the mouse and drag across and down the whole article you wrote. Sometimes the mouse can be finicky and not want to highlight everything. If it doesn't work the first time just click again and start over at the top of the article.Just keep re-doing it till you get the whole thing highlighted blue.

Then click the right button of the mouse and find "copy" on the list.

Line up the arrow on copy and push the left button.

Now the article is saved and can be "pasted" in another format such as "notepad", "workpad", "compose on your email" etc.

To find notepad or workpad hit the green start button at bottom left.......then all programs.........then accessories.......... then follow the arrow to the right of accessories and you will see a list which will include workpad and notepad.

Open Notepad or workpad and then make sure the vertical line is blinking on the page. You may have to point the arrow and click the left button

Now push the right button and go down to "paste".

Click on Paste and the article should appear.

Now it's saved and you can do the reverse to copy and paste it back to the one pocket forum if subit fails.

I hope this works and is not too confusing. Although it's much easier if you have someone at your side going thru the steps.

good luck.........george

Whoops! i forgot to tell you to hit "save" on workpad, notepad etc. after you paste the article. Just follow the save instructions.......it's easy. You can name the article whatever you want for reference.

george
                          George

Comment

Originally posted by gbru
                            Whoops! i forgot to tell you to hit "save" on workpad, notepad etc. after you paste the article. Just follow the save instructions.......it's easy. You can name the article whatever you want for reference.

george
                            Thanks for your help but I realy dont understand it I tryed to get it to work but I am not doing it correctly and I will waite for a nother time to wright it. But thanks for your help.

Comment

Artie,

I found a video on Youtube on how to copy and paste. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66pvfilotA]CLICK HERE[/ame] to see it.

The reason many people are suggesting using this method is to have a safe place to write the text, and then copy and paste it into the onepocket site.

I hope this helps your posting issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X