Long Time No See

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Well at least you don't spend three days editing your posts like the Duck.

Dear "edit this" breath,

That is only because, after I re-read my post (or somebody quotes it)...I remember something else that really pissed me off.

I guess I should just make succesive posts on the same subject, like my antagonist's do, repeating themselves, over, and over, and over, and over, again,...until I want to shoot myself (or you) in the head...:eek:

You don't like my editing, put me on "ignore"...:cool:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
CaliRed said:
You think you get a weeeeeeeeee bit opinionated? Do you not see my whole page diatribes? I am jealous of the people that can pop in with a 1 or 2 sentence post. I wish I could. When I have to scroll down to read others posts, and I see mine, I become ashamed and dejected. I often walk aimlessly around the apt with my head hung low averting the stares of my own family.

On a brighter note.... I have decided that if I remove the 3 fingers and leave the index and thumb on my left hand, I would not be able to type with 2 hands, but would still be able to bridge my cue. This should cut down on the amount of text that makes it's way into a post.

Interesting theory Calired but howcome I have a feeling it wouldn't reduce the length of your posts just increase the time it takes to make the posts. (maybe)

The worst result of the 3 digit removal procedure would probably be difficulty when shooting jacked up over a ball. :)

Dud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
You think you

On a brighter note.... I have decided that if I remove the 3 fingers and leave the index and thumb on my left hand, I would not be able to type with 2 hands, but would still be able to bridge my cue. This should cut down on the amount of text that makes it's way into a post.
CaliRed, ley me tell you story.at TULANE university in the early 1970's there was a guy named joe who worked as equipment manager for the basketball team
his right hand he had a thumb and a stubb. all fingers off. (he never told me what happened)
he played great 9 ball and could really juice the rock. he used to practice in the student center against us but i would see him around the bars that i was trying to hustle too.
i learned alot from him but later on learned about center ball playing which raised my level a bunch
he was a black guy and unmistakeable .hed try to get the nuts by saying "you want to play handicapped person?"
any of you ever run in to him??? id be curious of your stories.
after all this rambling CaliRed if you keep your index finget you are doing better than joe:eek:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I don't know who he is either, and I make a point not to "investigate" -- however, if they want to introduce themselves at some point, I always enjoy meeting fellow One Pocket aficionados. I did make the mistake once -- in six years -- of inadvertently addressing an "anonymous" poster by their first name here on OnePocket.org. That's right, just their first name. That was enough, and they quit the site. And just so you know, their name was not some kind of inside information I only had because of being the admin -- i knew them because I had met them in person. Anyway, I learned my lesson and intend never to make that kind of mistake again -- no matter how I happen to learn a name.

PS, if they want to return -- their secret is safe with me. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:
...When I have to scroll down to read others posts, and I see mine, I become ashamed and dejected. I often walk aimlessly around the apt with my head hung low averting the stares of my own family.
That's funny, Red.:D When that happens, think "Mr. Natural" (R. Crumb), and just keep high jinxin' down the street...

Doc

OldSchool

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I don't have a problem with anyone that is anonymous on the Internet. I imagine 75% of all forum members on the Internet are anonymous to some degree.

Here, we seem to be a pretty tight knit group, that don't seem to care so much with people knowing who they are. You have to remember, there are a lot of kooks out there on the Internet. Years ago, the forums I frequented, we had flame wars all the time. Ugly ones, that if someone knew who you were, they might want to track you down and beat the crap out of you or worse. Or make it easier to hack into your computer, or get real life info and destroy you that way.

It's important to remember that anything you post, is probably preserved for decades on the internet. This can be very useful in tracking down people that are anonymous. They may use their real email address or names in certain places on the Internet. When you can tie the two together, you got something.

As far as OldSchool goes.... he/she probably finds it easier to be brutally honest by remaining anonymous. Think about it. If you could share your true feelings about people at your job, you can't do it with people that work with you, a person you trust, could tell someone they trust and next thing you know, you calling the boss a assh*le has now got back to the boss. You can't go on Facebook or forums and say that stuff either. Someone could read it and next thing you know, someone's emailed a link to you saying that and sent it to your boss. That could result in a uncomfortable workplace:D

Same thing goes with your friends. I can't be brutally honest about how I feel about my friends to their face or make a hurtful comment about a friend of my friend. People, for the most part, cannot handle brutal honesty. They are hurt by it or harbor resentment. You usually have to construct your comment to make it less hurtful, beat around the bush some, water it down.

I, am a person that tells it the way I feel, and I get screwed over alot because of that. I"m learning to be more mellow and sensitive. (insert violins)

Dennis has my respect, because he tells it the way it is. Even if your his friend or you know him well, he will still tell it the way he feels, I believe. I havent' ever got to meet him, but have spoken to him, read all his posts for the last couple of years and have had some personal dealings with him, that have told me a lot about what kind of person he is. And he's a stand up guy, that would probably make anyone a good friend.

You just have to be the type that understands that. If I posted something and was way out of line in Dennis's eyes, I believe he would follow up and tell me exactly that. If he felt I was being a jerk, I don't think he would say things like..."You might have been a little harsh" or "You could have phrased it better".... I think he might say... "You were just being a jerk about it" And I shouldn't be all bent out of shape because of it, I should just understand that's his opinion and I'm not going to lose his friendship over it.. just because he called me a jerk:D

Now, I'm just trying to get a point across... I"m sure he would find a way to tell the truth, but not come on too harsh, but also not sugar coat it. :D

When your anonymous, you can tell it the way it it without any repercussions. That could be a bad thing or a good thing. There are many ways that someone could abuse that and do it for the wrong reasons. If someone was to do it, just to maybe open some people's eyes, then that might be a valid reason.

Jury's still out for OldSchool, at least for me. He doesn't appear, so far, to be just a vindictive dude trying to seek revenge on people he doesn't like. To me, he seems like he's trying to open up some people's eyes or at least make them think a little more by offering what he believes to be true statements, that may not be popular.

He also isn't coming on here every month or so to just stir up crap and then leave. Then again, I don't know alot of the back stories here, so who knows whether I'm way off base.:D
Good post Red, and what you said about me is pretty much on the mark. Old School

OldSchool

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Oldschool, you probably considered me one of Artie's followers because when Artie first joined I tried to get peoples (like you and Lou;) ) to overlook Artie's braggadocio and realize he really was triple smart when it came to one pocket. ('Cause that's what guys like Nick Varner said.)

But I welcome you back 'cause I like to hear all the different takes on what went down in the good old days of pool. (Just like the Greeks loved to hear Homer recount the glorious battles of old during the Trojan War.)

P.S. I don't mind if peoples want to stay anonymous - though as a good old boy born and raised in downstate Illinois I would keep it confidential if you were to PM me your real identity:cool:
demon, you are a nice guy, but it was pretty ridiculous for you to advise me as to Artie's knowledge and playing skills considering that you have never even seen him play in his prime, whereas I have seen him play many, many times in the 60's and 70's, and I know his game and speed precisely, and with no bias for, or against. Old School

Deeman

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
That's funny, Red.:D When that happens, think "Mr. Natural" (R. Crumb), and just keep high jinxin' down the street...

Doc

Doc,

It has been a while since I thought about Robert Crumb! What a wierd and talented guy! I wonder is he is still alive? I think he moved to France about 15 years ago.

Keep on Truckin' :)

DeeMan

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
OldSchool said:
...but it was pretty ridiculous for you to advise me as to Artie's knowledge and playing skills considering that you have never even seen him play in his prime...

Oldschool:
You are right but in my defense I was making an edumacated guess after considering what guys like Varner and Cornbread said;) I would love to hear a little of your take on what the Chicago scene was like. (You don't even have get into the Artie thang right now.)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Deeman said:
Doc,

It has been a while since I thought about Robert Crumb! What a wierd and talented guy! I wonder is he is still alive? I think he moved to France about 15 years ago.

Keep on Truckin' :)

DeeMan
Right you are, Deeman. I thought he'd died, but he's in France, as you say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Crumb

There are some pretty respectable video biographies on him. There's one listed in the Wiki piece. Probably a bunch on him on YouTube as well...

Doc

P.S. You ARE playing the Surber 1P event, right???

OldSchool

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Oldschool:
You are right but in my defense I was making an edumacated guess after considering what guys like Varner and Cornbread said;) I would love to hear a little of your take on what the Chicago scene was like. (You don't even have get into the Artie thang right now.)

demon, I’m not getting into any Artie thing, that subject has already been exhausted.

As for the Chicago scene, the Beard has pretty much covered that already, but here’s a couple of things for you that come to mind, that I don’t believe have been posted on the forums before:

The long time grungy down in the basement Bensinger’s that the Beard always talks about wasn’t the last and final incarnation of the famous Bensinger’s Billiard Academy. For the final few years of its existence Bensinger’s moved across the street to a second floor location that was newer and cleaner. But it didn’t last long there at the new upstairs
location, and it wasn’t the same old Bensinger’s. It didn’t have the same great atmosphere anymore or the action that the old basement location did.

The Beard’s semi-private pool and card room came next, (around the mid-late 70’s) and it was located just 1 block around the corner from the old Bensinger’s. I was there a few times. It was a nice club with excellent equipment and good action. This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bensingers across the street

Bensingers across the street

OldSchool said:
demon, I’m not getting into any Artie thing, that subject has already been exhausted.

As for the Chicago scene, the Beard has pretty much covered that already, but here’s a couple of things for you that come to mind, that I don’t believe have been posted on the forums before:

The long time grungy down in the basement Bensinger’s that the Beard always talks about wasn’t the last and final incarnation of the famous Bensinger’s Billiard Academy. For the final few years of its existence Bensinger’s moved across the street to a second floor location that was newer and cleaner. But it didn’t last long there at the new upstairs
location, and it wasn’t the same old Bensinger’s. It didn’t have the same great atmosphere anymore or the action that the old basement location did.

The Beard’s semi-private pool and card room came next, (around the mid-late 70’s) and it was located just 1 block around the corner from the old Bensinger’s. I was there a few times. It was a nice club with excellent equipment and good action. This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School

Even tho I lived close to the new Bensingers, that Old School is talking about, I never played a game in the joint. Bob Seigel was the owner and he was an absolute moron. He destroyed a legendary institution. I have told some great stories that describe just how dumb this guy was, but I cant seem to find them. I'll keep looking.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
OldSchool said:
This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School

Could this (the back room) be where they were all hiding, when Richie and I stopped by ??..jes' sayin'.

( maybe if we were hustling "pinochle" [sic] we would have got action...:rolleyes:)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
OldSchool said:
demon,

OldSchool....I guess you were at Freddy's old club, funny thing was, for all the years that the club was open, I'd bet that I was in there about 5 times more than Freddy was..:eek:....and we did play a lot of pinochle there - mostly partners double deck....did you ever play any pool or cards there?...do you know me from back then?......I used to be in there about 5 days a week, playing more pinochle than pool, lol - my favorite pinochle partner was Mort the houseman, cuz we played about the same speed, and he was a good guy to play with.......Racetrack Phil played real good and was a good partner to have - except for one small thing - if you overbid him on a hand that he wanted, he could sometimes get a bit tushhoggish and pull out his .38 and lay it on the table..:eek:..then if you went set after taking the bid away from him, you could have a real problem - right Phil?...:D........We even had a pinochle tournament one year - it was handicapped, there was an A flight and a B flight....if anybody thought they played good pinochle...they could come in there and play Freddy, Phil, or Artie - and bet what they want...

hey OldSchool...I'll go one better than the other guys who asked you to pm them your identity...pm me your identity, and I'll send you one of my One Pocket T-Shirts for free..:eek:..and I'll keep your identity secret too...:)

- Ghost

Last edited: