Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words - Clean Version

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words - Clean Version

    I originally started this thread a couple of years ago so we would have a place to show any cool pics that we'd want to share - pics of old poolrooms, our home poolrooms, our cues, interesting old pool memorabilia that we have collected, etc. etc....

    Unfortunately, boys being boys, porn pics/naked lady pics got posted up instead....so Steve moved the thread to the Member's section...

    Ok, so we've got that old, "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" thread over there in the Members only section, where those so inclined, can post up their naked lady pics (or in Papie's case, very, very, fat naked ladies pics ), so hopefully we'll keep this one clean so it can stay over here, and we can archive some good pics...

    I'm gonna start things off with this very cool historical photo....It's New York-Times Square-1905, with a billiard parlor on the left side of the street...

    Can you imagine - guys parked their horse & buggy next to a hanging gas lamp, then got out with their pool cue and walked into the poolhall......

    Here ya go >>>

    - Ghost
    Attached Files
    Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-16-2012, 12:48 AM.
    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

  • #2
    From my collection of pool pictures from all over the world.. including some in the USA. You can Google POOL and chose 'images' and find everyone of them.

    If you're interested I can post some more.
    Attached Files
    Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
      I originally started this thread a couple of years ago so we would have a place to show any cool pics that we'd want to share - pics of old poolrooms, our home poolrooms, our cues, interesting old pool memorabilia that we have collected, etc. etc....

      Unfortunately, boys being boys, porn pics/naked lady pics got posted up instead, and Steve had to move the thread to the Member's section...

      Ok, so we've got that old, "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" thread over there in the Members only section, where those so inclined, can post up their naked ladies pics (or in Papie's case, very, very, fat naked ladies pics), so let's keep this one clean, please, so it can stay over here, and we can archive some good pics...

      I'm gonna start things off with this very cool historical photo....It's New York-Times Square-1905, with a billiard parlor on the left side of the street...

      Can you imagine - guys parked their horse & buggy or their pre-Model T next to a hanging gas lamp, then got out with their pool cue and walked into the poolhall, lol...

      Here ya go >>>

      - Ghost
      I would like too see them all.

      Do you have ant off Bensingers.

      I no you use too play thier. I love pictures. They bring back meny memories.

      Comment


      • #4
        Great pictures, lads. The Times Square photo must have been taken in the winter. But I don't know if it was 6:50 A.M. or P.M. Not much traffic either way. There still must have been mostly horse transport.

        I love the pic of Wimpy's poolroom in Elizabeth City, N.C.-- the second one in Tom's post. I'd like to go there right now!

        Doc

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Artie Bodendorfer
          I would like too see them all.

          Do you have ant off Bensingers.

          I no you use too play thier. I love pictures. They bring back meny memories.

          Artie.....Hard to believe but I do have one or two...I don't have them on the computer - I have to find them in my box full of old pics and scan them...if I remember right, in one pic I'm playing billiards against either Al Fuss or Bob Phillips.

          - Ghost

          PS, I've played at Bankshot Billiards in Tom's pic...I always thought it was cool that they made the poolroom out of the old bank - and they used/use the old bank vault for the cue repair shop!
          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
            Artie.....Hard to believe but I do have one or two...I don't have them on the computer - I have to find them in my box full of old pics and scan them...if I remember right, in one pic I'm playing billiards against either Al Fuss or Bob Phillips.

            - Ghost

            PS, I've played at Bankshot Billiards in Tom's pic...I always thought it was cool that they made the poolroom out of the old bank - and they used/use the old bank vault for the cue repair shop!
            i guess you know your cues are safe(pun intended)

            Comment


            • #7
              Under the "Billiards" sign in the first pic is an announcement of a 3-day, 150pt 3C match between John Daly & George W. Moore which had a $1000 purse ($23,000 in today's money). Daly averaged about 1.0 pts per inning.

              FWIW, the photo is actually from 1911. Here's the original size:
              http://www.shorpy.com/node/9841?size=_original

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SactownTom
                If you're interested I can post some more.
                We're interested. I love the old pics of poolrooms. Thanks.

                Dennis

                Comment


                • #9
                  I might try to post some later this week.
                  My schedule is pretty full this week, Only Friday night do I have any time.

                  Then Saturday Sunday and Monday are the Better Half's days.. her Birthday is Sunday and then Monday is Valentines Day.. two cards two presents and Saturday is a trip to San Francisco for Lunch and shopping.

                  Lots of points this weekend. I'm to old for this $hit
                  Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lll
                    i guess you know your cues are safe(pun intended)

                    I didnt no you new Al Fuss. U was real close with him. He loved Three Coushuion billiards and Joe Procita. I wull give you ywo quick stories you mite like. Al Fuss was in las vegas with his trailer home and German shepard dog.

                    And he would come too Ceasers palace too see me every day. And Mexican Johnny was aroud too at that time. He came up from Arizona too see me. And Al Fuss liket Johnny and he would back him in pool.

                    So Mexican Johnny went too Al Fusses Trailer. And he stuck his hand in the trailer. And the German Shepard dog bit Johnnys hand. And the police came and took the dog away. And Al Fuss Loved his dog.

                    So I went down with Al Fuss to signe for him to get his dog back. And I said he will be Ok. And Al fuss got his dog back. And I told Johnny why did you stick youre hand in the trailer. The dog was only protecting his turf. And Johnny said He didnt no thier was a dog in thier. But it got straightened out.

                    Then two days latter all Fuss came into ceasers Palace crying like a little kis. I said what happened. He said they got him drunk and he lost all the moey that he sold his mothers house for.

                    He lost 85 thousand dollaers. And I said what are you going too do now. He said he was going back to drive a cab. But he didnt have no money for gas or food. And I gave him 5 hundred dollaers. And he left town in his traier and dog.

                    And I never herd from him again. And we were partnersin 5 gold crown pool tablels and all kinds off pool stuff. Belmont bowling aley was cloosing and the wanted too get all the tables out off thier.

                    And I told the guy in charge howe much do you want for the tabels and equipment. And he said something silly and I said I will give you seven hundred and fity dollaers for the 5 tablels and all the equipment. And I will take the tables out off thier tommarrow. And he said Ok.

                    If I would have gotten thier a few days sooner I could have gotten 20 tables balls racks cues and all kinds off pool equipment. For 3 thousand dollers. But % tables for seven hundred and fifty dollares wasant bad either.

                    BUt I could have gotten a whole pool room ror 3 thousand dollaers. And I no the must have paid at least 25 or 30 thousand dollaers for all off the tables and equipment.

                    But I never herd from Al Again. I no he had a daughter. And he took the pool tables up too wisconsen with Tommy the SAilor. And he dtored them in his building. Because he had land and propertiy thier in Wisconsin.

                    And he played good three coushuion Billiards. You didnt play him even did you?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Artie Bodendorfer
                      I didnt no you new Al Fuss. U was real close with him. He loved Three Coushuion billiards and Joe Procita. I wull give you ywo quick stories you mite like. Al Fuss was in las vegas with his trailer home and German shepard dog.

                      And he would come too Ceasers palace too see me every day. And Mexican Johnny was aroud too at that time. He came up from Arizona too see me. And Al Fuss liket Johnny and he would back him in pool.

                      So Mexican Johnny went too Al Fusses Trailer. And he stuck his hand in the trailer. And the German Shepard dog bit Johnnys hand. And the police came and took the dog away. And Al Fuss Loved his dog.

                      So I went down with Al Fuss to signe for him to get his dog back. And I said he will be Ok. And Al fuss got his dog back. And I told Johnny why did you stick youre hand in the trailer. The dog was only protecting his turf. And Johnny said He didnt no thier was a dog in thier. But it got straightened out.

                      Then two days latter all Fuss came into ceasers Palace crying like a little kis. I said what happened. He said they got him drunk and he lost all the moey that he sold his mothers house for.

                      He lost 85 thousand dollaers. And I said what are you going too do now. He said he was going back to drive a cab. But he didnt have no money for gas or food. And I gave him 5 hundred dollaers. And he left town in his traier and dog.

                      And I never herd from him again. And we were partnersin 5 gold crown pool tablels and all kinds off pool stuff. Belmont bowling aley was cloosing and the wanted too get all the tables out off thier.

                      And I told the guy in charge howe much do you want for the tabels and equipment. And he said something silly and I said I will give you seven hundred and fity dollaers for the 5 tablels and all the equipment. And I will take the tables out off thier tommarrow. And he said Ok.

                      If I would have gotten thier a few days sooner I could have gotten 20 tables balls racks cues and all kinds off pool equipment. For 3 thousand dollers. But % tables for seven hundred and fifty dollares wasant bad either.

                      BUt I could have gotten a whole pool room ror 3 thousand dollaers. And I no the must have paid at least 25 or 30 thousand dollaers for all off the tables and equipment.

                      But I never herd from Al Again. I no he had a daughter. And he took the pool tables up too wisconsen with Tommy the SAilor. And he dtored them in his building. Because he had land and propertiy thier in Wisconsin.

                      And he played good three coushuion Billiards. You didnt play him even did you?
                      Artie.....Those're some pretty crazy stories about Fuss...

                      I played pretty close to Al's speed back then - he might have played a little better....I've got a pic of myself down in the basement standing next to a 3cushion tournament finals chart...I'll get it posted soon.

                      - Ghost
                      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mosconiac
                        Under the "Billiards" sign in the first pic is an announcement of a 3-day, 150pt 3C match between John Daly & George W. Moore which had a $1000 purse ($23,000 in today's money). Daly averaged about 1.0 pts per inning.

                        FWIW, the photo is actually from 1911. Here's the original size:
                        http://www.shorpy.com/node/9841?size=_original
                        'Preciate the link to the full sized photo. I love those vintage era pics, especially when they're so clear!

                        Doc

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here's a pic of a large statue of a pool player from a poolhall sign I would guess - wonder where it came from? - It looks like it's signed I.P. Pendergrass 1983...it's sitting in a boneyard for old display signs, old neon signs, etc.

                          - Ghost
                          Attached Files
                          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great Stuff....!

                            Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                            'Preciate the link to the full sized photo. I love those vintage era pics, especially when they're so clear!

                            Doc
                            Me too Doc...Great pics Tom and Ghost. Startlingly clear, given their age. Not to wax too nostalgic, but I seem to pick up on some weird vibes when I look at old photos... Not just the architecture, and old cars, but a window to the past, that has slipped away.

                            For instance...can you imagine how long a kerosene lantern, hanging loose on a stand, would last in todays big city ?..I'm sure they were inexpensive, but they were also a very necessary item, before electricity....I'm sure there were homeless people then, and skid row drunks, wandering those streets at night...But, they would go sit in the alley in the dark, before they would steal city property...Amazing how much our core values have deteriorated over the last 100 years..

                            Thats what I see in old photos, a time gone forever...More please, and thanks guys...Wish I had some to contribute !..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
                              Here's a pic of a large statue of a pool player from a poolhall sign I would guess - wonder where it came from? - It looks like it's signed I.P. Pendergrass 1983...it's sitting in a boneyard for old display signs, old neon signs, etc.

                              - Ghost
                              Wait !..It Looks like !..I believe it is,...It's Cole Dickson !!!..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X