J. Parica vs. Bugs L.O.P. III 1992

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You finished up your statement with the statement, "Most of the American players are losers who don't want to work for a living, therefore they've never invested the time in learning their craft." Most of his post is related to that. Perhaps not having to use a bridge, shooting opposite-handed nor full-rack rotation games don't pay off enough. Although, the first two are questionable when combined, because that would mean that they're stuck in the mud when it comes to any shot not within arm's reach and I can't see that as a possibility in order to get as far as they do.

Now, back to the shot choice..

I can understand the idea that he'd spin it three rails to get up there, but as you said, he got the second ball with a great shot. From what I've read, great shots aren't something that you want to make a habit out of when you risk selling out in 1P. That's why I had changed my mind on 3 rails.. why go for a long haul for a potentially short gain when you can make a bigger change in the game by making an easy move without the risk? I know my knowledge is closer to 1 on a 100 scale for this game, but it just seems like trying too hard for not enough to get up there.

The shot Parica chose was a good shot for several reasons, i'll explain. We as players when at the table have a feel for what we can do, and what we may have problems in doing. Parica "felt" the angle of the shot and obviously believed he could position the cue ball where it needed to be for the next shot, also if he fell short with the shot there was always the escape option with either the 5 ball or 9 ball, dropping under the 1 ball. The option of going into the balls was appealing but could be a game loser by going into the balls and scratching cross side, plus the possibility of coming up with another shot if successful with going into the balls would imo be 50-50 at best. Playing Parica's shot imo was playing the percentages, he was taking a free shot of building a large lead without ever losing control of the table. That's my take on the situation that he was presented with.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
are you asking how I would play position? I would go straight up the table, inside english off the foot rail, to shoot the other balls on my side of the table. I could also draw-drag the cb across the short rail for a tricky cut on the 5 ball, but I might screw it up and have to do something else, like dealing with the bankable balls on Bugs' side. It's a nice opportunity, but one that I will have to handle carefully. I don't want to go away with just one ball.

I agree with your way of thinking, but going one rail using inside english is tricky. If you believe you can control the cue ball without running the risk of going into the wrong side of the rack, go for it. If you happen to run into the rack bad things are in store for you with the results, that's why I liked the way Parica played position, it was a win win proposition playing it the way he did.

Dr. Bill