bucktooth

glee

Verified Member
What's with these people who have stories, but won't tell them? Do we have some posters almost ready to come out of the closet? :heh:eek:

Hi Vapros,

You have me blasting out of the closet with some more Toothie tales, heres some of his played with list! Tooth was born in 1939 and this is who he played with before he was 15teen

Bud Harris, three coushion billiard champion, Tooth lost

Big Nose Roberts, nine ball, Tooth got the seven and 9 and Roberts lost

Eddie "Cris" Mageehan, Eddie played one handed and the Tooth played with two. Tooth lost

Tooth and I have had manny adventures since we met in 1956 and I am very fortunate to have surived

Have a good evening all, George

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hi Vapros,

You have me blasting out of the closet with some more Toothie tales, heres some of his played with list! Tooth was born in 1939 and this is who he played with before he was 15teen

Bud Harris, three coushion billiard champion, Tooth lost

Big Nose Roberts, nine ball, Tooth got the seven and 9 and Roberts lost

Eddie "Cris" Mageehan, Eddie played one handed and the Tooth played with two. Tooth lost

Tooth and I have had manny adventures since we met in 1956 and I am very fortunate to have surived.

Have a good evening all, George

George, You commented a few posts back about Tooth beating me in S.J...Still not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it..Tooth rarely came to SJ, but I played him many times in Hayward, and S.F..and always gave him weight, and he rarely won, at any game..Some were pretty tough matchups too..As much as you were around him, you should know that..We ran around together for a while..(sort of friends) but after he got out, from his first "vacation", I had moved to Texas.

Will try and give you a call tomorrow, whats a good time ?

glee

Verified Member
George, You commented a few posts back about Tooth beating me in S.J...Still not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it..Tooth rarely came to SJ, but I played him many times in Hayward, and S.F..and always gave him weight, and he rarely won, at any game..Some were pretty tough matchups too..As much as you were around him, you should know that..We ran around together for a while..(sort of friends) but after he got out, from his first "vacation", I had moved to Texas.

Will try and give you a call tomorrow, whats a good time ?

Hi Dick,

Tooth and I showed up at the Circus Room With about 38 hundred and after27 hours we had about 34 or 35 hundred, and we very happy to have that!
At one point in the session Tooth talked me into handing our last 3 or 4 hundered that I had tucked away in my shoe. Theres an old gamblers prayer that goes like this " Lord please let me break even I could sure use the money" the prayer was answered.

Tooth dosent rember the session either, but we went on to have quite a road experience. After Tooth and rested up the three of us drove over to Stockton and you matched up with a longshoreman playing snooker on a 6 by 12.
Tooth was handling the side bets and he managed to piss a few people off.
How strange was that! The law got called and Toothie went to jail. I dont recall you getting arested, but I could be wrong.
I do rember paying a $80 fine to get Mr. Flanelmouth out and back in action. You broke about even with the longshoreman after the game resumed.

The three of us got as far as Bakersfield and you saw the light and cought a bus for San Jose. Tooth and I made it as far as Tulsa before we turned around and came home.

Call any time, and have a nice day.
George

shooters1411

Tooth was playing a guy with one eye(on page 241), come on:D. In all seriousness, I listened to Tooth commentate on a livestream and he was as funny as the Fatman. He made me laugh my ass off and love his commentary but I never saw him play.
Thank you I will read the book
Dennis
I will read the book

shooters1411

Tooth was playing a guy with one eye(on page 241), come on:D. In all seriousness, I listened to Tooth commentate on a livestream and he was as funny as the Fatman. He made me laugh my ass off and love his commentary but I never saw him play.

Dennis

What is the name of the book? Can't find it by the name Eddie Robbins

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
1411, I don't know what book you may be referring to, but both of Eddie Robin's great books on one pocket have been out of print for many years - that's a strange story we won't go into here. You might find one to buy, from an individual, but the price would be several hundred dollars. Your local library could start a search for you, but they might never find one.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hi Dick,

Tooth and I showed up at the Circus Room With about 38 hundred and after27 hours we had about 34 or 35 hundred, and we very happy to have that!
At one point in the session Tooth talked me into handing our last 3 or 4 hundered that I had tucked away in my shoe. Theres an old gamblers prayer that goes like this " Lord please let me break even I could sure use the money" the prayer was answered.

Tooth dosent rember the session either, but we went on to have quite a road experience. After Tooth and rested up the three of us drove over to Stockton and you matched up with a longshoreman playing snooker on a 6 by 12.
Tooth was handling the side bets and he managed to piss a few people off.
How strange was that! The law got called and Toothie went to jail. I dont recall you getting arested, but I could be wrong.
I do rember paying a $80 fine to get Mr. Flanelmouth out and back in action. You broke about even with the longshoreman after the game resumed.

The three of us got as far as Bakersfield and you saw the light and cought a bus for San Jose. Tooth and I made it as far as Tulsa before we turned around and came home.

Call any time, and have a nice day.
George

George,

You must be thinking of another time you went to Stockton, with Rich...I remember getting in the paddy wagon, with Tooth, and the Damn cops drove all the Stockton, and picked up every drunk on skid row. I'll NEVER forget the smell in there.. A few miserable hours later, we got to a place called "French Camp", an old prison on the edge of town, which I guess was their overflow holding/drunk tank. I also remember all the local drunks started moaning, when they realized we were headed there, instead of the downtown jail.

We spent the night there, and went before the Judge downtown next morning, where we paid a small fine, and were sprung...We were very surprised to find my almost new Ford, untouched, in the neighborhood we left it in. We had several good $$$ cues, and some money stashed in there, which we hadn't taken in the pool room with us..Then we drove home. Thats why I'm sure you must be thinking of another time, (or another town, or another player) Thank God I'm not old enough to make those kinds of mistakes. :rolleyes: ;)

Call ya later, we can compare notes..:)

Last edited:

glee

Verified Member
George,

You must be thinking of another time you went to Stockton, with Rich...I remember getting in the paddy wagon, with Tooth, and the Damn cops drove all the Stockton, and picked up every drunk on skid row. I'll NEVER forget the smell in there.. A few miserable hours later, we got to a place called "French Camp", an old prison on the edge of town, which I guess was their overflow holding/drunk tank. I also remember all the local drunks moaning, when they realized we were headed there, instead of the downtown jail.

We spent the night there, and went before the Judge downtown next morning, where we paid a small fine, and were sprung...We were very surprised to find my almost new Ford, untouched, in the neighborhood we left it in. We had several good $$$ cues, and some money stashed in there, which we hadn't taken in the pool room with us..Then we drove home. Thats why I'm sure you must be thinking of another time, (or another town, or another player) Thank God I'm not old enough to make those kinds of mistakes. :rolleyes: ;)

Call ya later, we can compare notes..:)

Hi Dick,

Had to be two different ocasions. What was the year of your late model Ford? I can only rember Tooth going to jail, not you or the guy you were playing.
Somebody on the rail sidebetting called the law and away went Toothie. You and I and the guy you were playing never got hassled.
The year you bought the Ford is very important in trying to unravel this great tale!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hi Dick,

Had to be two different ocasions. What was the year of your late model Ford? I can only rember Tooth going to jail, not you or the guy you were playing.
Somebody on the rail sidebetting called the law and away went Toothie. You and I and the guy you were playing never got hassled.
The year you bought the Ford is very important in trying to unravel this great tale!

what year did the model T come out????.......:D

glee

Verified Member
I assume you read the book, 'Playing Off The Rail' by David McCumber. It has a pretty good bit about The Tooth and Tony Annigoni and Davids strange odyssey hustling pool. A pretty good read I thought. Seems like a little bit of The Tooth goes a long way for some people..

Theres a few paragraphs where Tooth talks about playing and braking even with a guy named Mac.
He did play Mac (Angus Macdonald) and he did not break even he won about 7 or 8 hundred and excaped from powerful trap I was there with him and in on the money.
we went there looking for a player named Bert Walker an older guy that liked to play and bet it up pretty good.
When we got to the pool room a few tables were busy with some young guys playing for fun, and two older guys sitting on a bench sweating the action. We could not figure out who Bert was!
Some how Tooth promotes a game of one pocket and the battle is on. The guy Tooth is playing is definitly not Bert, Tooth was suposed to be able to give Bert the 5 and nine according to our informant Okie Sam.
At one point in the session the guy Tooths playing looks over a real tough risky shot, he bends over to shoot and he takes a deep breath and his cheeks puff up like asquirrel with its mouth full of nuts. He pops the shoot in and runs 4 or 5 balls. Tooth looks over at me and says, thats the guy my uncle played in Oakland, he puffs up his cheeks when he shoots a tough shot.
So thats how Toothie met Angus Macdonald! Angus was a top player on the East Coast in the 40's and 50's, he beat a lot of players playing hundred or no count straight pool.I think he gets some mention in Robbins book SMS.

Tooth and I were real lucky to get out of that spot with any kind of a score. Bert Walker had another ace up his sleeve for awhile a player named Long Beach spent about a year hanging around Bert in Lawton and any player who though Beach was Bert was in for a huge suprise.

Have a good afternoon, George

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Theres a few paragraphs where Tooth talks about playing and braking even with a guy named Mac.
He did play Mac (Angus Macdonald) and he did not break even he won about 7 or 8 hundred and excaped from powerful trap I was there with him and in on the money.
we went there looking for a player named Bert Walker an older guy that liked to play and bet it up pretty good.
When we got to the pool room a few tables were busy with some young guys playing for fun, and two older guys sitting on a bench sweating the action. We could not figure out who Bert was!
Some how Tooth promotes a game of one pocket and the battle is on. The guy Tooth is playing is definitly not Bert, Tooth was suposed to be able to give Bert the 5 and nine according to our informant Okie Sam.
At one point in the session the guy Tooths playing looks over a real tough risky shot, he bends over to shoot and he takes a deep breath and his cheeks puff up like asquirrel with its mouth full of nuts. He pops the shoot in and runs 4 or 5 balls. Tooth looks over at me and says, thats the guy my uncle played in Oakland, he puffs up his cheeks when he shoots a tough shot.
So thats how Toothie met Angus Macdonald! Angus was a top player on the East Coast in the 40's and 50's, he beat a lot of players playing hundred or no count straight pool.I think he gets some mention in Robbins book SMS.

Tooth and I were real lucky to get out of that spot with any kind of a score. Bert Walker had another ace up his sleeve for awhile a player named Long Beach spent about a year hanging around Bert in Lawton and any player who though Beach was Bert was in for a huge suprise.

Have a good afternoon, George

being able to win at that game is really impressive to me
am i overly impressed??
or among the top players
was running 100 in straight pool like running a rack of 9 ball??

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
am i overly impressed??
or among the top players

Mosconi said sarge (MAC) was the best straight pool player of all the hustlers.
The old timers said after Caras won the title in Milwaukee, Mac beat him playing for cash.
Rod.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
am i overly impressed??
or among the top players

It's more like running 11 nine ball racks consecutively.
It can and has been done more than once, but to do it every time, for all the money........you're not being overly impressed.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Ron Lillies

Ron Lillies

Hi George,

You've been AWOL from the site for a while...What ya been up to ? I sure wouldn't argue you had more Tooth stories than I did..I do know you were around him a lot...I researched some of your/our old exchanges from a few years back, in Grady's Cochran thread..I honestly don't recall the particular match you are refering too..Sure don't mean it didn't happen..I'm not real sure what I had for breakfast most days.:rolleyes:
I see (from the old posts) that you were in with Tooth, when we made the 'Hoosegow' in Stockton..I had even forgotten that. As you say, he was always 'riot' material..We've been in more than a few awkward 'spots' together..;)

The little white haired guy (Al Kallman) you are refering to, became my partner after Dom (the tall one) sold me his half..Don't know if you heard, but not long after that, we got busted for bookmaking. (long story)...The book bust was nothing, but Al was in BIG trouble for some 'priors' back east, and before they could extradite him, he commited suicide. Huge loss, he was a great friend, and mentor.. Our whole families, were very close.

If your going to be checking in again..I would like to shoot you a few PM's (just personal stuff) Are you still around the bay area ?..Do you know Ron Lilles ?

I'll be in touch... If you want to, you can PM me your Email and phone #, and I'll give you mine.

Take care ! :)

Dick

It is funny you ask about Ron. I had not seen him for years until the last couple of big tournaments at CBC. If u want to know where he is now, I will tell you. He is at the Hardtimes in Sacramento playing in one pocket although he is out by now. If you friend Tom Suarez on Facebook he has coincidentally posted a picture of Ron at the table in the 1p tournament.
Dick Cady, Fast Eddy's Billiards

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It is funny you ask about Ron. I had not seen him for years until the last couple of big tournaments at CBC. If u want to know where he is now, I will tell you. He is at the Hardtimes in Sacramento playing in one pocket although he is out by now. If you friend Tom Suarez on Facebook he has coincidentally posted a picture of Ron at the table in the 1p tournament.
Dick Cady, Fast Eddy's Billiards

Thanks Dick...I knew Ron was living in Sac..I saw him last time I was up there. I was just asking Glee (George) if he knew him..I remember you as an old Cochran guy, from the old posts we've exchanged..Surprising we never met. I know your place is over on the coast, near Santa Cruz (I think) will try and make it over there, next time I'm in San Jose..Good to see you posting again.

Dick Mc Morran (SJD)

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Just had nuttin to say

Just had nuttin to say

Always lurking. It is amazing we never met but I think since you were a little older we missed each other. I left Cochran's basically when I joined the Air Force in 1959. Then when I came back to pool in Santa Clara(Red Carpet Billiards)our paths never crossed I guess. I know you were around playing Texas Tony I thought but then you disappeared. It would be great to host you sometime at Fast Eddy's. Regards.

glee

Verified Member
Mosconi said sarge (MAC) was the best straight pool player of all the hustlers.
The old timers said after Caras won the title in Milwaukee, Mac beat him playing for cash.
Rod.

It was early 1961 when Tooth played and beat Mac in Lawton OK. Tooths uncle, Harless ( Blackie) Cook played him in Oakland 17 or 18 years earlier.
They played one pocket, but not the game we see today. To win you had to pocket 25 balls in your pocket, for instance you pocketed 3 balls in your inning you and you missed or played safe you spotted the balls back up and your opponent played his inning. Sort of like playing line up straight pool.

Blackie was way ahead on the ball count. 22 to Macs 14. Its Macs shot and theres a ball about mid table a few inches off the center line towards Blackies pocket and and the cue ball is way up table on Macs side of the table.

Mac steps up puffs his cheeks way up and cuts that ball backwards into his pocket and the cue ball broke the balls loose at the foot of the table and ran 11 and out. They were playing for $500.00 a game.

Tooth heard this story many times during his childhood because his dad was there and had a piece of the action.

Toothie sort of evened the score in Lawton but he didn't steal any thing, it was quite a battle and I glad to be there and be part of the action.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It was early 1961 when Tooth played and beat Mac in Lawton OK. Tooths uncle, Harless ( Blackie) Cook played him in Oakland 17 or 18 years earlier.
They played one pocket, but not the game we see today. To win you had to pocket 25 balls in your pocket, for instance you pocketed 3 balls in your inning you and you missed or played safe you spotted the balls back up and your opponent played his inning. Sort of like playing line up straight pool.
Glee-- Great story about Mac & Blackie. But I don't understand the scoring in that type of one-pocket. Was it a "no count" type inning, where they had to make X number of balls in order to be counted? Or did the player get to score all his balls per inning, but then he had to spot them up so the opponent got a chance at all of them? How many balls were lined up at a time?

Sounds like an interesting game. A guy could even practice it himself.

Cheers~ Doc

glee

Verified Member
Glee-- Great story about Mac & Blackie. But I don't understand the scoring in that type of one-pocket. Was it a "no count" type inning, where they had to make X number of balls in order to be counted? Or did the player get to score all his balls per inning, but then he had to spot them up so the opponent got a chance at all of them? How many balls were lined up at a time?

Sounds like an interesting game. A guy could even practice it himself.

Cheers~ Doc

Hi Doc,

The "no count" prop was not involed, any balls made during an inning would be spotted back up in a line behind the spot and tallied on the wire the same as straight pool. In Macs case if he had run 10 balls and missed or played safe he would spot up all 10 balls and because he already had 14 points on the wire his score would be 24 and needing a ball to win. Blackie needing 3 to get to 25 would be looking at 15 balls on the table with ten of them lined up in a row behind the spot.

I heard the Macdonald -Blackie story a number of times over the years and all that was ever mentioned was the backwards cut and running out and no mention of the scoring system.

A year or two ago Tooth discribed the session in detail and thats when I got filled in on the game and the scoring system.

Have fun practiceing.

George