Purposefully prolonging a game of one pocket

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Artie

Artie

Yeah, it is true, this is a very good way to lose action, noted by somebody here about Artie's game. I don't know about east coast one pocket, but on the west coast guys seem to think it is their right to decide when you shoot or not.... if the games aren't going fast enough there is a lot of complaining, and a lot of lost action.

I have played Artie twice in the last few years, both times races to seven. The first time the set lasted 12 1/2 hours and Artie won. The second session lasted 14 1/2 hours and I won.

The first time we played I tried to move with Artie and got myself dead out of stroke and almost helpless by the time the set was over. Artie takes his time and usually leaves you over a ball, froze to a rail or froze to a ball on the rail. I have never played anyone who smothered me the way Artie did. I can imagine that when his banking and ball pocketing skills were much better he would be next to impossible to beat.

The second time we played I knew I could not outmove him and was much more aggressive and it paid off for me. Artie never sat down during either session and was a perfect gentleman to play with.

I probably learned more in those two sessions than I ever did watching tapes. You pay more attention when you are betting your cash.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have played Artie twice in the last few years, both times races to seven. The first time the set lasted 12 1/2 hours and Artie won. The second session lasted 14 1/2 hours and I won.

The first time we played I tried to move with Artie and got myself dead out of stroke and almost helpless by the time the set was over. Artie takes his time and usually leaves you over a ball, froze to a rail or froze to a ball on the rail. I have never played anyone who smothered me the way Artie did. I can imagine that when his banking and ball pocketing skills were much better he would be next to impossible to beat.

The second time we played I knew I could not outmove him and was much more aggressive and it paid off for me. Artie never sat down during either session and was a perfect gentleman to play with.

I probably learned more in those two sessions than I ever did watching tapes. You pay more attention when you are betting your cash.

Good story!

Is this simply just the way artie plays, or is there some reasoning within arties slow play that is trying to get people out of stroke or frustrated i wonder?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Good story!

Is this simply just the way artie plays, or is there some reasoning within arties slow play that is trying to get people out of stroke or frustrated i wonder?

After two long sessions with him I believe it is just the way he plays. He looks over every possibility and picks the shot that he can execute best. Probably takes longer now because he doesn't have the firepower he used to.

I am much more deliberate now myself and it has helped me keep my game at a fairly high level for someone my age.

Artie takes multiple balls out of your pocket better than anyone I have played. Takes him a while to figure it out but it works.

One of the regular posters on Az sweated our game at the Derby and posted that he would rather stick needles in his eyes that have to watch it again. He said "They not only did not make a ball for 1/2 hour, they did not even go for one".