The Rack in its heyday

junior

Verified Member
During what time period was the action at the Rack the best? The 80's? The 90's? What circumstances made this huge action possible? Is it likely to come back again? Is it desirable?

Any Rack-related stories are welcome, of course, whether or not they directly answer one of these questions. I'll sit back and let the people who experienced it tell about it. Thank you.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
During what time period was the action at the Rack the best? The 80's? The 90's? What circumstances made this huge action possible? Is it likely to come back again? Is it desirable?

Any Rack-related stories are welcome, of course, whether or not they directly answer one of these questions. I'll sit back and let the people who experienced it tell about it. Thank you.

Junior; In a little while I'll post my first experience at, "The Rack."

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The Rack in its heyday

I was never there but somewhere I have a Sunday newspaper insert featuring Cornbread from back in those days....

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Junior; The action days of, "The Rack," were from about 1975 thru the late 80's.

My first trip to the rack was about, 1976, The schedule for the action on a daily basis was from about, 2 pm till when? But, normally, in the morning hrs. the only person's there were, Gil Elias, the owner and the cleanup man.

Now, Gil played a little billiards, and would gamble playing from time to time. I had already planned on going in on Gil's shift to stir his interest. The first day, I walk in, (in the mornings, with NO action, you didn't have to be buzzed in! I was there with another half-ass player from the, "D," I noticed someone playing on the front snooker table by the counter, tall skinny kid, a lefty with a mustache, he and Gil seemed pretty friendly.

I said to the guy with me, "Hey that have 3 cushion table," "lets try it out!" No longer were we knocking them around when, the tall skinny lefty cracked, "You guys gamble at that silly game?" My partner replied, "I don't, but he might try you some." Naturally, he asked me to play, I obliged.

We started out, 25 points for a $100.00, He had a nice fluid stroke, but ALL he good make were off the outside of the ball shots. I could tell his speed in about 10 minutes, I stalled around, (3 Cushion is probably the BEST game ever to stall!) I let him get to 21, and closed the door. He looked over to Gil and asked him, "Play him another," Gil nodded yes, and handed him the C-note. They went for one more barrel, and that was it!

The young, skinny lefty was none other than, Mike "Captain Hook" Sigel, He asked me my name, I told him, "Bill Smith," he didn't believe me.

That was my first and cheapest of MANY scores I made over the years at, "The Rack."

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. BTW, The guy I went to trap, the owner Gil, went for 2 barrels the next morning when NO one was there, $500 a pop! After I beat him he said, "We'll make some serious money here!"

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I dedicate eleven (11) pages to The Rack in my new book, and it is about to be released, so I am going to hold off on my contribution to The Rack stories. :frus

Beard

junior

Verified Member
Thanks for the story, Bill. How was Sigel's 3C game? I've always assumed that somebody who has mastered one cue sport is automatically pretty good at any other one, but I have heard of some exceptions (Sang Lee). And thanks for answering the question about the time period.

Fred, I don't blame you. Besides, you have told plenty of good Rack stories in the past. I'll take lll's advice and look at those earlier threads, too.

I am hoping to get some hints about what makes a pool hall and its pool culture thrive or struggle.

Toncam

Verified Member
I was reading the interview section, which is great by the way, and i was reading about Donny Anderson and he told a story about a guy named Pittsburgh Johnny who beat a guy out of 300 large in the Rack and was busted a few weeks later.
Man, i been around and dealt in some of the biggest crap games going but these guys betting these numbers on pool just blows me away, not for the amounts but the pressure its got to have on you. Shooting craps or playing cards is one thing but going for a shot where you know a huge number is at stake has got to be something else entirely.
I know the more you do something, the more you get used to it, but this is something else at that level, lol.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was reading the interview section, which is great by the way, and i was reading about Donny Anderson and he told a story about a guy named Pittsburgh Johnny who beat a guy out of 300 large in the Rack and was busted a few weeks later.
Man, i been around and dealt in some of the biggest crap games going but these guys betting these numbers on pool just blows me away, not for the amounts but the pressure its got to have on you. Shooting craps or playing cards is one thing but going for a shot where you know a huge number is at stake has got to be something else entirely.
I know the more you do something, the more you get used to it, but this is something else at that level, lol.

Nah, he didnt blow it in 3 weeks, maybe 6 months. He got an apartment and paid the rent for a year first. Pittsburg John Stapolis unfortunately had a dope habit and was generous to his friends who also had habits.

Beard