Let Tony go free

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If you're referring to Tony Chohan, according to an insider (who happens to be a lovely lady), Tony got 7 years. He's done about 2-1/2, so he likely has about 4 left. It would be nice if he got out early for good behavior.

Sure hope he straightens out his life, and that he also can regain his championship level pool game.

Doc

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Seriously.

1.) Do they have pool tables in school?
2.) Has any pool player ever been able to play like they once did after they get out of school?

Ken

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Federal Prison time is shortened by parole, if applicable, only after 75% of the term is served.

7 years starting in Jan 2010, 75% of 7 years is 5yrs 3 months. so Tony is looking at April 2015.

We will have a party.

RedCard

Verified Member
Chohan

Chohan

I don't think that's a federal case. It looks like in Ohio they can knock up to 8% off by being in the designated programs, etc. I'm not sure what they say he did, other specific things about the crime he was convicted of or pled to can impact how much of the sentence he has to do.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2967.193

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I don't think that's a federal case. It looks like in Ohio they can knock up to 8% off by being in the designated programs, etc. I'm not sure what they say he did, other specific things about the crime he was convicted of or pled to can impact how much of the sentence he has to do.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2967.193

I think it was possession or delivery with intent to distribute....cocaine. This lead my late great partner Side Spin Jim Dougherty to say, "Never be you own mule."

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Seriously.

1.) Do they have pool tables in school?
2.) Has any pool player ever been able to play like they once did after they get out of school?

Ken

Androd already mentioned Rodney Morris. Other players who may have played at a higher level after a stay at the Gray Bar Hotel would be Dennis Hatch, and possibly Clem Metz and Sonny Springer (neither of whom I witnessed -- no pun intended, lol). But I talked to Sonny about that. With a lot of time on their hands in the house, pool players often comment that they spent a lot of time running racks and "practicing" in their minds, and studies have shown that practice like that can actually be very effective! I gave that advice to a pretty good local player to try during his six month stay and it seemed to work for him too. Don't be at all surprised if Tony comes out shooting great -- whether there is a table in the house or not!!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

RedCard

Verified Member
Sentences

Sentences

I think it was possession or delivery with intent to distribute....cocaine. This lead my late great partner Side Spin Jim Dougherty to say, "Never be you own mule."

The Ohio cocaine sentences, as probably in most states, depend heavily on the amount and previous criminal history of the defendant. There are mandatory minimum sentences for some coke charges in Ohio. I hope Chohan is getting the proper advice to pare all he can off his sentence, if that is possible at this point. Maybe if he's been an exemplary inmate he can be moved to a less restrictive facility, one with a pool table or at the very least a Tonk area, to finish his sentence.

The 'never be your own mule' rule should be observed. If you get caught with it, it's yours. You'll look around, secure in the knowledge the prosecutors have determined you could personally never afford what you were caught with, and wonder where everybody went. All your good friends and financiers have scattered. You now own it, even though you didn't have a dime invested and it sits in a property room waiting to be schleped into a courtroom.

Wybrook

What's the over under he goes back in? I doubt this was his first time, just his first time caught...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've never heard that Tony did any other time, or even got busted. IMO he has a good chance of turning his life around. Both he and his cousin Amar Kang came from very good families. They both fell in with the SF Bay Area pool scuff crowd, which undoubtedly contributed to their retarded development in life. It used to be called "a mis-spent youth".

Tony has a good head on his shoulders, and he could do whatever he puts his mind to do. It's just a question of whether he comes out of prison wanting to do something with his life, or whether his lengthy exposure to hardened criminals will turn him against society. He certainly has some good friends who are older and wiser guys. So hopefully that will influence his direction.

~Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Are we sure cocaine was part of the reason he is where he is? I thought it was weed, being transported over state lines.

Why he didn't just get a medical marijuana card and fire up some lights in CA is mind boggling...he really is too good a guy to need to spend this f-ing long locked up. When he shoots at somebody I'll change my mind.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

.....It's just a question of whether he (Tony) comes out of prison wanting to do something with his life, or whether his lengthy exposure to hardened criminals will turn him against society. He certainly has some good friends who are older and wiser guys. So hopefully that will influence his direction.

~Doc

If he will listen to Sactown Tom and Henderson., he will do just fine !...They were extra smart..They got the governor to commute both their 'death penalty' sentences, and let them out on parole !...Of course, he did confine them to the pool room ! :p

Last edited:

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
David T in Mobile got out recently and he is playing very well. Heard he beat Cliff J two sets playing even. Then again this is all just 'hearing'

Pel

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If he will listen to Sactown Tom and Henderson., he will do just fine !...They were extra smart..They got the governor to commute both their 'death penalties', and let them out on parole ! :p

I doubt he will be back in California for a while when he gets out. He has a wife and kid in the Detroit area.