The Sub-Conscience mind and the Cue games

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I was going to mention this subject in the, "Killer Instinct..." thread, but, I felt it needed it's own thread! Besides, I didn't want to go too off track there.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from members where there have been instances where, you tried to "second guess" a situation or shot at the table and if it turned out badly or with a good result.

If and when others express a point of view on this subject, I'll reveal my thoughts and experiences relating to "the sub-conscience" mind in Pool!

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was going to mention this subject in the, "Killer Instinct..." thread, but, I felt it needed it's own thread! Besides, I didn't want to go too off track there.

I'd like to hear some thoughts members on their thoughts, if any, on the sub-conscience mind when playing.

Have there been instances where, you tried to "second guess" a situation or shot at the table and if it turned out badly or with a good result.

If and when others express a point of view on this subject, I'll reveal my thoughts and experiences relating to "the sub-conscience" mind in Pool!

androd said:
One more thing, the little guy in your head that's telling you it's the wrong shot is an aggravating pain in the a$$. After a long time I began to realize how often the little nag was right, and began to listen.

I also have a lot of what Henderson mentioned. but can shut it down when serious.
Rod.

My thoughts from the killer instinct thread.
Rod.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

I'd like to hear some thoughts from members where there have been instances where, you tried to "second guess" a situation or shot at the table and if it turned out badly or with a good result.

I experience two things that I call "second guessing":

1. Questioning my aim/plan while executing it - a pretty sure road to disaster.

2. Rethinking/resetting my aim/plan before execution - mostly good results with this.

I think the difference in these is whether or not I'm fully committed to the shot as I execute it.

And, by the way, committed isn't the same as confident. I may not be confident that it will turn out as planned, but I still want to execute it with total commitment - both to get the best results and to be able to learn from them either way.

pj
chgo

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Second guessing would be an example of the conscious cognitive process.
subconscious activity would include a non-cognitive process such as a hidden, inner reluctance to go for the kill. I believe this is a result of your right lobe and your left lobe not being in complete agreement. This is deep but here's and example. You face a hard shot and you mutter to yourself or out loud, "I'll never make this" or "What a dog I am." This was your left lobe talking as it is more verbal than your right lobe. Well, your right lobe says to you subconsciously, "OK, if you don't want to make this and/or if you are such a dog, we'll just miss this one."

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Second guessing would be an example of the conscious cognitive process.
subconscious activity would include a non-cognitive process such as a hidden, inner reluctance to go for the kill. I believe this is a result of your right lobe and your left lobe not being in complete agreement. This is deep but here's and example. You face a hard shot and you mutter to yourself or out loud, "I'll never make this" or "What a dog I am." This was your left lobe talking as it is more verbal than your right lobe. Well, your right lobe says to you subconsciously, "OK, if you don't want to make this and/or if you are such a dog, we'll just miss this one."
A big difference between the conscious and the subconscious is the unfathomable ability of the subconscious to crunch truckloads of data and coordinate complex mental/physical activities in real time. This ability is indispensable for executing pool shots, and it can be disrupted by the conscious process of second guessing. Both conscious and subconscious processing are critical, and it's critical that they cooperate - usually meaning the conscious should learn when to STFU.

pj
chgo

Last edited: