lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cooney vs joyner
joyner leads 4-0 in ball count
its joyners shot
besides giving your shot
maybe explain your overall strategy in decision making when the game gets to this stage.
i know sometimes as the balls get uptable im not always sure what to do(edited to mean whats the correct shot)
cc1.jpg

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't see anything aggressive I want to shoot, as all my banking lanes are tied up by the 5 and 8. So, I will attack the two potential banks for Cooney. I will hit the 13 thin, banking it across to my side, and then run into the 1, bumping it in my direction also. Could be a long game, but I can afford to wait better than he can, and he will have to shoot from the area close to the upper left pocket.

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
It's a little tough to tell by the angle of the picture, but it appears a 1 rail kick on the 3 ball my be available. If so, that would be an aggressive shot that should not leave Cooney with nothing to do but be defensive.

A more defensive shot would be to go soft off the left side of the 1 and freeze him against the 13.

crystal cue

Verified Member
I would shoot the shot that puts my opponent in a position that his only option is to sell out.I would pocket the 13 and try to freeze the qb on the back left side of the 1.
The 13 gets spotted and your opponent is in trouble.
Special thanks to Artie for his response to Gulfportdoc yesterday,I read that 6 times ,I am here to learn and the more I learn the more I will participate.
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on here and teach people that are my speed.

bstroud

Verified Member
When the balls are up table you need to think beyond a shot or two.

Joyners main problem are the balls near his side pocket. They are blocking his end rail banks. Cooneys' side is open. If J doesn't change that he will soon be even or worse in this game.

When I am ahead on the score I don't like to shoot a ball in and have it spotted up but in this case the first thing J should do is remove the on balls toward C pocket by shooting in the 13 and trying to stop behind the 1. That would force C to move the 1 and perhaps give J a chance to move it to his side.

If he doesn't get behind the 1 then after the next shot he will probable have a chance to move at least one ball to his side.

Bill Stroud

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cliff has a bank on the 1 ball. The cueball can be hit so as to kick the 13 toward his corner as well.

If that's too aggressive, then he can cut the left side of the 13 with slow speed and try to get behind the 13 or 1. The danger there is the potential for leaving a cross-corner on the 5 ball.

Of course, Joyner is going to have to get that 5 ball away from there soon anyhow.;)

Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Cliff has a bank on the 1 ball. The cueball can be hit so as to kick the 13 toward his corner as well.

If that's too aggressive, then he can cut the left side of the 13 with slow speed and try to get behind the 13 or 1. The danger there is the potential for leaving a cross-corner on the 5 ball.

Of course, Joyner is going to have to get that 5 ball away from there soon anyhow.;)

Doc

With the score as it is the bank on the 1 is way too risky. Possible scratch in the corner. If you hit it perfect who knowes how you will billiard the 13. If you leave any shot at all on the 13 C will probably get the 1 as well.

The 13 in the pocket is the shot. Cue behind the 1.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Well, you guys need a Gofer to give you something to argue about.:)
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
I like your shot very much. I don't see the scratch here liked Billy S. says and it looks like you can hit the 13 ball on the good side after the second rail.

I don't believe that a 4-0 lead is enough to go into a full prevent defense mode. If you get the one ball near your hole it's most unlikely that he would shoot at anything other than a fair shot on the 13 ball.

If the one goes and you get a shot on the 13 ball there's a chance to win the game from there.

bstroud

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
I like your shot very much. I don't see the scratch here liked Billy S. says and it looks like you can hit the 13 ball on the good side after the second rail.

I don't believe that a 4-0 lead is enough to go into a full prevent defense mode. If you get the one ball near your hole it's most unlikely that he would shoot at anything other than a fair shot on the 13 ball.

If the one goes and you get a shot on the 13 ball there's a chance to win the game from there.

Frank,

I was looking at the shot from the other side. Bank the 1 and a 2 rail billiard onto the 13. Neither shot is any good given the position and the score. You could even up the game needlessly. Why take the risk?

Bill Stroud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:
When the balls are up table you need to think beyond a shot or two.

Joyners main problem are the balls near his side pocket. They are blocking his end rail banks. Cooneys' side is open. If J doesn't change that he will soon be even or worse in this game.

When I am ahead on the score I don't like to shoot a ball in and have it spotted up but in this case the first thing J should do is remove the on balls toward C pocket by shooting in the 13 and trying to stop behind the 1. That would force C to move the 1 and perhaps give J a chance to move it to his side.

If he doesn't get behind the 1 then after the next shot he will probable have a chance to move at least one ball to his side.

Bill Stroud
bill you and cliff thought alike:)
i was surprised up 4-0 that cliff woulkd willingly make a ball to be spotted
even tho he smothered the q behind the 1
( you know if you are up in the score move balls up table dont bring them down table)
heres how he left it showing the 13 spotted
cc2.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
From there Cooney probably skimmed the 1 and went 2 rails up to the other end rail.

It doesn't matter because he is dead from there on.
Unless J made a terrible mistake C has no chance to win the game.

Bill Stroud

bstroud

Verified Member
I can see Cooney looking at pocketing the 10 ball.
If the 9 doesn't go straight in it is an OK shot and would put another ball behind the spot.
He should still lose the game.

Bill S.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:
I can see Cooney looking at pocketing the 10 ball.
If the 9 doesn't go straight in it is an OK shot and would put another ball behind the spot.
He should still lose the game.

Bill S.
he did pocket the 10.
however cliff made some errors and after being up 6-2 let jack back in the game:eek:
the score is now jack leading 7-6 and its joyners shot
jj1.jpg

Attachments

• cc8.jpg
    cc8.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1

bstroud

Verified Member
How did Joyner manage that?

He's got a spin bank with low left. Danger of a scratch in the side or corner. No good if he doesn't get the object ball very close to his pocket. If he doesn't he will leave a bank on the other ball.

The other shot is rail first off the end rail with high right, the object ball to the side rail and over toward his side pocket. Still could leave a free bank on the other ball if it goes past the side pocket. Bad situation for him.

Bill Stroud

bstroud

Verified Member
I also see a hail Mary shot. Since he's completely screwed up to this point he could try this.

If the 6 is frozen he could spin it in the pocket and send the cue ball into the 7.
If he hits the 7 and scratches he will probably push the 7 to the end rail and spot a ball. There will 2 balls on the spot and no easy shot for Cooney.

If he hits the 7 right he is back in the game.

Bill Stroud

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
bstroud said:
How did Joyner manage that?

He's got a spin bank with low left. Danger of a scratch in the side or corner. No good if he doesn't get the object ball very close to his pocket. If he doesn't he will leave a bank on the other ball.

Bill Stroud

I agree with the spin bank. From the angle it appears he should be able to navigate the cue ball away from the side pocket and getting the OB over to his side is high percentage for a play like Joyner. if he happens to pocket the OB he is going to have some kind of bank on the six to win the game.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
bstroud said:
I also see a hail Mary shot. Since he's completely screwed up to this point he could try this.

If the 6 is frozen he could spin it in the pocket and send the cue ball into the 7.
If he hits the 7 and scratches he will probably push the 7 to the end rail and spot a ball. There will 2 balls on the spot and no easy shot for Cooney.

If he hits the 7 right he is back in the game.

Bill Stroud
There's got to be a better hail Mary than that.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
joyner hit the ball thin into the side rail and only made it half way to his pocket
cooney proceeded to cut the ball in and win the game:eek:
jj6.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lll said:
joyner hit the ball thin into the side rail and only made it half way to his pocket
cooney proceeded to cut the ball in and win the game:eek:
Well...so much for rolling in the 13 and hiding behind the 1 ball, and putting Cooney into a position where he can't win.:D

Doc