Scott, Tony and Shane are the future of U.S. One Pocket ?...not so fast

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I originally posted this down the web @ azbilliards in response to posts in another thread...but it's about One Pocket, so I figure it belongs over here as well....

Scott, Tony and Shane were mentioned several times on the Efren vs. Scott Frost thread as being the present and/or future champions/standard bearers of U.S. One Pocket.....Well, not so fast, there's two names that are glaringly missing from that proclamation: Gabe Owen and Larry Nevel - Everybody who saw them finish 1st & 2nd in the 2008 DCC One Pocket division, knows what I'm talking about....

....I've watched Scott, Tony, Gabe, & Larry play a lot, and played them a few times, so here's a few opinions/evaluations of mine:

Of the 4 of them, Scott probably knows the game the best.

For firepower, I think it's a toss-up between all 4 of them.

For cueball control and all varieties of stroke applications, I rate Larry best.

Banking is close to a pick-it between all 4 of them.

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking for straight-shooting, Tony, Gabe, & Larry are even, with Scott a tad behind them.

Playing under heavy pressure, I think it's another toss-up, although maybe Larry ranks last in this facet.

How badly do they want to win, and won't give up.....I rank Tony last in this part.

And last of all, one important part of the game where I rank Gabe and Larry above Scott and Tony is discipline....Gabe and Larry are better at staying smart, and resisting shooting at the tempting high risk shot.....Scott and Tony give in to this temptation a little too much.

What do all you knowledgable One Pocket observers/handicappers think of this comparison ?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
I originally posted this down the web @ azbilliards in response to posts in another thread...but it's about One Pocket, so I figure it belongs over here as well....

Scott, Tony and Shane were mentioned several times on the Efren vs. Scott Frost thread as being the present and/or future champions/standard bearers of U.S. One Pocket.....Well, not so fast, there's two names that are glaringly missing from that proclamation: Gabe Owen and Larry Nevel - Everybody who saw them finish 1st & 2nd in the 2008 DCC One Pocket division, knows what I'm talking about....

....I've watched Scott, Tony, Gabe, & Larry play a lot, and played them a few times, so here's a few opinions/evaluations of mine:

For cueball control and all varieties of stroke applications, I rate Larry best.

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking for straight-shooting, Tony, Gabe, & Larry are even, with Scott a tad behind them.

Playing under heavy pressure, I think it's another toss-up, although maybe Larry ranks last in this facet.

How badly do they want to win, and won't give up.....I rank Tony last in this part.

And last of all, one important part of the game where I rank Gabe and Larry above Scott and Tony is discipline....Gabe and Larry are better at staying smart, and resisting shooting at the tempting high risk shot.....Scott and Tony give in to this temptation a little too much.

What do all you knowledgable One Pocket observers/handicappers think of this comparison ?
I see nothing to disagree with, but would add rating Scott as most creative, with Tony next.

Ghost -- how much did you watch of the match? For what I watched, I was impressed at the degree to which Scott seemed to control the general flow of the games -- including forcing the balls up table or vice versa. Still Efren knows whitey better than anybody, though.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
....I've watched Scott, Tony, Gabe, & Larry play a lot, and played them a few times, so here's a few opinions/evaluations of mine:...What do all you knowledgable One Pocket observers/handicappers think of this comparison ?
Good assessment, Ghost. An additional category might be intimidation/agression. Frost is a pretty big guy, and also extremely agressive. That has to intimidate some of his opponents. When playing Frost 1P, it must feel like there's some caveman standing there with a club, who's about to pounce as soon as you miss!

Bob Ogburn gave off the same feel: big & nasty!

Chohan is a big guy, but he's laid back and soft spoken.

My current belief is that SVB will be the premiere 1P player within 3 years.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Wrong guy doc !

Wrong guy doc !

gulfportdoc said:
Good assessment, Ghost. An additional category might be intimidation/agression. Frost is a pretty big guy, and also extremely agressive. That has to intimidate some of his opponents. When playing Frost 1P, it must feel like there's some caveman standing there with a club, who's about to pounce as soon as you miss!

Bob Ogburn gave off the same feel: big & nasty!

Chohan is a big guy, but he's laid back and soft spoken.

My current belief is that SVB will be the premiere 1P player within 3 years.

Doc

Scott is not an imposing guy. he is under 6' and weighs about 150 lbs.
You must be refering to the " woofing " factor. He woofs like Shaq O'Neal !
Dick

Deeman

Verified Member
Ghost:

I was really impressed with Gabes game at the DCC, especially when conpared with the a year ago. It seems he is one fast learner and has come a long way in the last three years. Whoever said he has discipline nailed was exactly on target.

I have not seen SVB play one hole but shutter at the thought. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dick Mc Morran said:
Scott is not an imposing guy. he is under 6' and weighs about 150 lbs.
You must be refering to the " woofing " factor. He woofs like Shaq O'Neal !
Dick
I'll be damned. I thought he was bigger than that. I'm 6'2", and I guessed he was just a little smaller than I. Must be his manner, and the big shirts.:D

Doc

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
gulfportdoc said:
I'll be damned. I thought he was bigger than that. I'm 6'2", and I guessed he was just a little smaller than I. Must be his manner, and the big shirts.:D

Doc
He is 6ft tall or better,Im 6ft 1 and weigh 170 lbs,Scott is roughly my size i think,here is a pic of me,him and Reyes.Scott can come off as imposing,its not always the size of the dog in the fight,its the size of the fight in the dog,his bark is loud too! :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fast Lenny said:
He is 6ft tall or better,Im 6ft 1 and weigh 170 lbs,Scott is roughly my size i think,here is a pic of me,him and Reyes.Scott can come off as imposing,its not always the size of the dog in the fight,its the size of the fight in the dog,his bark is loud too! :D
There you go, Lenny. Scott can be a pretty intimidating package.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I beg to differ !

I beg to differ !

Fast Lenny said:

Lenny,
Its not a big deal but I stand by my original evaluation of Scott Re; his height and weight. He may be barely 6', (Iam 5' 9") But he has never towered over me. He tends to slouch. Also he does favor tee shirts about 2 sizes too big. In order to get him to weigh 170# you would have to get him soaking wet, with a few anvils in his pockets. I would be willing to wager he does not outweigh me. ( 163#) And no fair fattening him up for the weigh-off. (look at his arms, he's thin boned.) Its all fun tho !!!

Dick
PS. In the picture you furnished, Efran and Scott are on about the same plane. We all know Efran is not too tall. You are in the background, and still appear taller than Scott. I demand an impartial measurement and weigh-off. LOLIMHO HA HA !!!

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Fast Lenny said:

Scott's a killer on the table but not off-table - though he can get a little cantankerous with a few drinks. I saw him mouthing off to a shorter guy at the Cue Club in Vegas awhile back. When the guy tried to confront Scott, Scott jumped behind his beefy backer and tried to kick at the guy from behind his backer. When the guy almost caught Scott later, Scott backed off pleading: "Why does everyone always pick on the skinny guy?" I think he's just got a touch of harmless devil in him;)

jay helfert

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

Pretty good analysis here. Any one of these guys can beat the other ones on a given day in a tournament. Gambling, I like Gabe, then Tony, then Scott and finally Larry. But Gabe can't give Larry a ball, even 9-8 would be tough. In fact none of them can spot anyone else 9-8, and have the best of it.

I think Gabe is the most consistent and steadiest of the four. And maybe the best player overall. Tony may have the most firepower, and play the best for big money. Although Scott is always willing to bet it up. Larry has the most talent, and biggest stroke, but his temperament can be problematical,
especially in a big game.

Tony may be improving the most rapidly right now. He could well turn out to be a One Pocket Godzilla. Shane is not ready for any of these guys yet.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Dick Mc Morran said:
Lenny,
Its not a big deal but I stand by my original evaluation of Scott Re; his height and weight. He may be barely 6', (Iam 5' 9") But he has never towered over me. He tends to slouch. Also he does favor tee shirts about 2 sizes too big. In order to get him to weigh 170# you would have to get him soaking wet, with a few anvils in his pockets. I would be willing to wager he does not outweigh me. ( 163#) And no fair fattening him up for the weigh-off. (look at his arms, he's thin boned.) Its all fun tho !!!

Dick
PS. In the picture you furnished, Efran and Scott are on about the same plane. We all know Efran is not too tall. You are in the background, and still appear taller than Scott. I demand an impartial measurement and weigh-off. LOLIMHO HA HA !!!
Haha,yeah if we made a bet I could get Scott to put on some weight,its hard to tell with the big tees.I do believe he is my height,he slouches alot as i sometimes do but in the pic i am not,so 6ft sounds right. :)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
demonrho said:
Scott's a killer on the table but not off-table - though he can get a little cantankerous with a few drinks. I saw him mouthing off to a shorter guy at the Cue Club in Vegas awhile back. When the guy tried to confront Scott, Scott jumped behind his beefy backer and tried to kick at the guy from behind his backer. When the guy almost caught Scott later, Scott backed off pleading: "Why does everyone always pick on the skinny guy?" I think he's just got a touch of harmless devil in him;)
Thats a funny story,dont we all have alittle devil in us? :p

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Scott vs Fargo

Scott vs Fargo

I remember in the action room at the Derby a few years ago, Scott was with Marcus Chamat and they were watching Tony Fargo hit some balls. Evidently there was some past history with the two and the woofing started. Fargo then got in Frost's face and looked like he had bad intentions. They said they would take it outside and on the way out Fargo said he would bet Frost wouldn't be comming back in! Cooler heads prevailed and the ruckus died down.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:

Ghosty,

I'm bored & looking at old threads. Would you still stand by what you wrote in this thread about Gabe and Nevel? I know that time changes things, I was just wondering.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

I'm bored & looking at old threads. Would you still stand by what you wrote in this thread about Gabe and Nevel? I know that time changes things, I was just wondering.

Dennis[/QUOTE

IN a big money game Scott and Shane what would be a fair game? LIke 5 ahead ot a race to 8 ? Not a tournement game 3 out of 5.

What would thee odds be Scott and Alex. 5 games ahead or a race to 8?

What would be the odds with Scott 5 games ahead or a race too 8. I dont no if Buddy can play that long. But anyway what would the odds be.

And what could players like Scott Alex Shane spot ricky birds partner that he had in Mobel Alabama. Against Billy and me. I no the guy shoots real straight. What would you make the spot.

You people no these playersway better then I do. I never even seen Alex play anybody. But I would like to her what the spots would be.

Deeman

Verified Member
I think Ghost's postnwas spot on. Another consideration is how they choose to live from now on out, taking care of themselves, bad personal habits and getting rest and exercise over time. I think Gabe may have the best shot at this for longevity. If they are all say within a ball of each other, what does that say about Efren at the top of his game being able to give more than one to everyone for a few years?

DeeMan

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

Dennis

IN a big money game Scott and Shane what would be a fair game? LIke 5 ahead ot a race to 8 ? Not a tournement game 3 out of 5.

What would thee odds be Scott and Alex. 5 games ahead or a race to 8?

What would be the odds with Scott 5 games ahead or a race too 8. I dont no if Buddy can play that long. But anyway what would the odds be.

And what could players like Scott Alex Shane spot ricky birds partner that he had in Mobel Alabama. Against Billy and me. I no the guy shoots real straight. What would you make the spot.

You people no these playersway better then I do. I never even seen Alex play anybody. But I would like to her what the spots would be.
Artie,

I haven't been in a "gambling" poolroom in at least 7 years. I don't know anything about any top players except for what I see in live matches online & DVD's. I couldn't set odds on Tweedledee being smarter than Tweedledum:) .

That said, I've been around Alex a couple of times when he was betting (Ronnie Wiseman's) cash pretty high. He was playing serious, not like the clown that I've seen him be lately when gambling high. I would say that for serious cash in a tough game Alex is a helluva player IF his head is on straight. He definitely plays better than Gabe or Nevel. Alex truly has the heart & talent to beat anybody that I've ever seen except Efren in his prime.

In my weak opinion I would say that Frost is unbeatable by anyone except himself. Isn't it always like that? If he's on his game and feels like winning then I don't think anybody can beat him. To steal a line from "The Hustler": "I know he can beat you, I asked if he will beat you, with him it's two different things". I'm sure I messed up that line but it's close. Frost is running from life instead of towards it and soon he'll pay the price. He's already made a down payment.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Deeman said:
I think Ghost's postnwas spot on. Another consideration is how they choose to live from now on out, taking care of themselves, bad personal habits and getting rest and exercise over time. I think Gabe may have the best shot at this for longevity. If they are all say within a ball of each other, what does that say about Efren at the top of his game being able to give more than one to everyone for a few years?

DeeMan

I seen Tobby give Scott and gab both 9 to 7 so its hard too say. Because players all play different against each other.

It is very hard too make a exacte line on two players. Like Shane might play real good against Alex but not against Scott because they play different styles.

And Cliffs Game might be better then Scotts game against Shanne because off how he plays the game. Thats why you have too see howe they against each other.