Practice with Purpose Part 1.5

bstroud

Verified Member
Consider this section of Practice with Purpose transitional in nature.

Before we go back through part 1 in reverse order with lots of shots and examples, we need to examine some of the unconventional practice scenarios that really don’t fit into Part 1.

Two of these situations involve only shots. The Spot shot and the Cinch shot. Both are vitally important and widely misunderstood.

Take the spot shot in one pocket. It is one of the most important shots in the game but now day’s players seldom practice it. Why? Because it has been removed from 9 ball. The spot shot is a one pocket game winner. It is absolutely necessary that you practice it every chance you get.

As with any of these practice exercises I suggest that you set yourself a realistic goal to start. Ten in a row is a good place to start. One hundred is a good place to end. This is a shot that you can NEVER miss. Repetition trains your subconscious that you can and will make this shot under extreme pressure every time.

The other aspect of this shot is when to shoot it. This shot often comes up when your opponent has balls hanging in or near his hole. You have ball in hand and must decide to shoot it or not. The one rule I follow is this.
If you have properly trained your subconscious and have complete confidence and IF IT IS YOUR CHANCE TO WIN THE GAME-YOU ALWAYS SHOOT IT. To not do so is a weak and losing proposition.

If it is not a game winner you must examine the situation and can make other choices. Can you gain more leverage by moving more balls toward your pocket? Can you put your opponent in an untenable position?

Over the years I have spotted lots of pretty good players 8 to 4 and the break. Guess which ones were the hardest to beat? The ones that shot at their pocket when they had a chance to win. Don’t believe me? Just ask Billy Incardona. I know he has been in the same situation many times.

You don’t need to be a great player to benefit from this advice. I have watched Dippy play on the internet several times and I can guarantee you one thing. He shoots at his hole every time if he has a chance to win the game.

So just remember that just like every other time you have a good chance to win the game with one shot, you shoot at your hole with the utmost confidence. To not do so is just an excuse to lose.

Now let’s take a look at what is most likely the most important shot in a game of one pocket if not pool in general. The Cinch shot. The one shot you MUST make for all the marbles. The shot that separates the winners from the losers. It doesn’t matter if it a long straight in or a tough cut. It is the ALWAYS most difficult shot in pool because of the pressure.

If you were to ask players of my generation who they thought was the best Cinch or Clutch shot shooter of all time? The one player you would want to shoot the shot for your life? You would always get the same answer. Luther Lassiter. Time after time I have seen him in Johnson City, LA, DC and many other places shoot the toughest shots you could imagine under tremendous pressure and NEVER miss ONE shot.

I was in Norfolk one day playing 2 dollar practice 9 ball with Luther (I always called him Luther out of respect) when I asked how he did it. He smiled and raked the balls in with his cue (He was going to get out anyway). He took one ball and the cue ball and set up a long straight in. Wham. Then he set up an almost impossible cut shot and made that too. He turned to me and said “Did you see?” I said “no.” He set up another long straight in and said “Watch carefully”. This time I noticed something different in his stroke. I mentioned that to him and he said I was right.

He went on to explain to me that he had developed a special way of handling what he called “the tough ones”. He said he moved his right hand about ½ inch forward and shortened his bridge about 1 inch. He claimed it reduced his chance of hitting the cue ball slightly off center. I tried it and it seemed to work.

Now I have a better idea of what he was actually doing. He was using a mental trick to fool his subconscious mind. By making these subtle adjustments to his stroke and repeating them often enough he had convinced his subconscious that when he took these steps he could not under any circumstances miss the ball he was shooting at. Try it. It works. You establish a key that triggers your subconscious to get the required result. It doesn’t have to be what Luther did. I could be anything that works for you.

Now we are going to take a look at what I call obscure one pocket shots. Shots that you would only shoot in dire circumstances. As I said in Part 1 some billiards and caroms fall into this category. We will examine them in detail as we go back through Part 1 in reverse order.

One of the most commonly used obscure shots in one pocket is the masse. It is not a comfortable shot for most players but look at what Effren does with it. He was not born knowing how to use it. He learned by productive practice. He played Billiards. Not just 3 cushion but straight rail as well. No game teaches you caroms and the masse better. I suggest that you take 3 pool balls and find a Billiard table to practice on. What you learn there will help your one pocket tremendously.

Lastly under the obscure category is the Jump shot. “The Jump shot” you say. “In one pocket?” Heresy!

Not quite. Remember the jump shot comes in many flavors and what you can do with a jump cue and the “soft jump” will really open your eyes. Those shots where you cannot possibly get the cue ball on your opponent’s ball that is near his pocket suddenly become accessible. Again all I can do is point out what to practice and how to set goals while you practice.

I cannot make you do it. You must do it for yourself.

In Part 2 we will take a closer look at everything discussed in Part 1 in reverse.

Bill Stroud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree except?

I agree except?

bstroud said:
Consider this section of Practice with Purpose transitional in nature.

Before we go back through part 1 in reverse order with lots of shots and examples, we need to examine some of the unconventional practice scenarios that really don’t fit into Part 1.

Two of these situations involve only shots. The Spot shot and the Cinch shot. Both are vitally important and widely misunderstood.

Take the spot shot in one pocket. It is one of the most important shots in the game but now day’s players seldom practice it. Why? Because it has been removed from 9 ball. The spot shot is a one pocket game winner. It is absolutely necessary that you practice it every chance you get.

As with any of these practice exercises I suggest that you set yourself a realistic goal to start. Ten in a row is a good place to start. One hundred is a good place to end. This is a shot that you can NEVER miss. Repetition trains your subconscious that you can and will make this shot under extreme pressure every time.

The other aspect of this shot is when to shoot it. This shot often comes up when your opponent has balls hanging in or near his hole. You have ball in hand and must decide to shoot it or not. The one rule I follow is this.
If you have properly trained your subconscious and have complete confidence and IF IT IS YOUR CHANCE TO WIN THE GAME-YOU ALWAYS SHOOT IT. To not do so is a weak and losing proposition.

If it is not a game winner you must examine the situation and can make other choices. Can you gain more leverage by moving more balls toward your pocket? Can you put your opponent in an untenable position?

Over the years I have spotted lots of pretty good players 8 to 4 and the break. Guess which ones were the hardest to beat? The ones that shot at their pocket when they had a chance to win. Don’t believe me? Just ask Billy Incardona. I know he has been in the same situation many times.

You don’t need to be a great player to benefit from this advice. I have watched Dippy play on the internet several times and I can guarantee you one thing. He shoots at his hole every time if he has a chance to win the game.

So just remember that just like every other time you have a good chance to win the game with one shot, you shoot at your hole with the utmost confidence. To not do so is just an excuse to lose.

Now let’s take a look at what is most likely the most important shot in a game of one pocket if not pool in general. The Cinch shot. The one shot you MUST make for all the marbles. The shot that separates the winners from the losers. It doesn’t matter if it a long straight in or a tough cut. It is the ALWAYS most difficult shot in pool because of the pressure.

If you were to ask players of my generation who they thought was the best Cinch or Clutch shot shooter of all time? The one player you would want to shoot the shot for your life? You would always get the same answer. Luther Lassiter. Time after time I have seen him in Johnson City, LA, DC and many other places shoot the toughest shots you could imagine under tremendous pressure and NEVER miss ONE shot.

I was in Norfolk one day playing 2 dollar practice 9 ball with Luther (I always called him Luther out of respect) when I asked how he did it. He smiled and raked the balls in with his cue (He was going to get out anyway). He took one ball and the cue ball and set up a long straight in. Wham. Then he set up an almost impossible cut shot and made that too. He turned to me and said “Did you see?” I said “no.” He set up another long straight in and said “Watch carefully”. This time I noticed something different in his stroke. I mentioned that to him and he said I was right.

He went on to explain to me that he had developed a special way of handling what he called “the tough ones”. He said he moved his right hand about ½ inch forward and shortened his bridge about 1 inch. He claimed it reduced his chance of hitting the cue ball slightly off center. I tried it and it seemed to work.

Now I have a better idea of what he was actually doing. He was using a mental trick to fool his subconscious mind. By making these subtle adjustments to his stroke and repeating them often enough he had convinced his subconscious that when he took these steps he could not under any circumstances miss the ball he was shooting at. Try it. It works. You establish a key that triggers your subconscious to get the required result. It doesn’t have to be what Luther did. I could be anything that works for you.

Now we are going to take a look at what I call obscure one pocket shots. Shots that you would only shoot in dire circumstances. As I said in Part 1 some billiards and caroms fall into this category. We will examine them in detail as we go back through Part 1 in reverse order.

One of the most commonly used obscure shots in one pocket is the masse. It is not a comfortable shot for most players but look at what Effren does with it. He was not born knowing how to use it. He learned by productive practice. He played Billiards. Not just 3 cushion but straight rail as well. No game teaches you caroms and the masse better. I suggest that you take 3 pool balls and find a Billiard table to practice on. What you learn there will help your one pocket tremendously.

Lastly under the obscure category is the Jump shot. “The Jump shot” you say. “In one pocket?” Heresy!

Not quite. Remember the jump shot comes in many flavors and what you can do with a jump cue and the “soft jump” will really open your eyes. Those shots where you cannot possibly get the cue ball on your opponent’s ball that is near his pocket suddenly become accessible. Again all I can do is point out what to practice and how to set goals while you practice.

I cannot make you do it. You must do it for yourself.

In Part 2 we will take a closer look at everything discussed in Part 1 in reverse.

Bill Stroud

Every thing you went through in this section of improving your game makes complete sense to me, except the jump cue part. First I would never allow any player to use a jump cue on me playing one pocket. Furthermore I dont believe that the jump cue is legal in one pocket tournaments, and it certainly isn't allowed in my one pocket matches. Sorry.

But I definitely agree with your idea about practicing spot shots and your reasoning for building confidence in making certain shots. I found it very interesting and rewarding.

I appreciate your input and agree with your reasoning.

Billy I.

senor

Verified Member
bstroud said:

Not saying this is the right thing to do, to learn caroms before learning how to make a ball...but before I could run three balls in one pocket, I could run fifteen in caroms. I didn't have a carom table to play it on, but I played it anyway. Great game to practice.

Fanatic

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Every thing you went through in this section of improving your game makes complete sense to me, except the jump cue part. First I would never allow any player to use a jump cue on me playing one pocket. Furthermore I dont believe that the jump cue is legal in one pocket tournaments, and it certainly isn't allowed in my one pocket matches. Sorry.

But I definitely agree with your idea about practicing spot shots and your reasoning for building confidence in making certain shots. I found it very interesting and rewarding.

Billy I.

Billy that brings up a good question...is the jump cue iilegal or is the jump shot illegal period...meaning if one uses their own cue to jump is the shot legal? I've personally never jumped in a one pocket game, but it's good to know anyway.
thanks
XOXO

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Fanatic said:
Billy that brings up a good question...is the jump cue iilegal or is the jump shot illegal period...meaning if one uses their own cue to jump is the shot legal? I've personally never jumped in a one pocket game, but it's good to know anyway.
thanks
XOXO
The jump cue is ilegal playing one pocket, at least that's what I believe. But the jump shot is legal, providing you jump with your playing cue.

Billy I.

Fanatic

Verified Member
wincardona said:
The jump cue is ilegal playing one pocket, at least that's what I believe. But the jump shot is legal, providing you jump with your playing cue.

Billy I.

Thank you :)

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Mr. Stroud,

I've read your posts and think they are wonderful. I've been a member here for years and have played one pocket for many times those years. Your advice is sound and should be appreciated and used by all who would like to improve their one pocket game.

I think posts like yours will help increase membership at this site.
I can't wait to read more.

Thanks,
Phil

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wincardona said:

Billy I.
That is correct in the official OnePocket.org rules -- which are the basis of rules for most One Pocket tournaments. Private action is still a free-for-all :)

bstroud

Verified Member
I think Jump cues should be illegal in all pool games as well.

I just wanted to make you aware of some types of shots you might not have thought of.

I would never permit anyone to use a jump cue against me gambling playing 9 ball or any other game.

I don't agree about the 3 foul rule and I really don't think an object ball off the table should be a foul.

Just for your information, in English snooker if the cue ball leaves the cloth it is a foul.

Bill S.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I think it must be intentional for a foul to be called in snooker for an airborne cueball.

Check this out, maybe the rules have changed since then: [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgBfkjkpZcc[/ame]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
an obscure jump shot is hitting a ball and have the q jump over another ball(not off the table) and then controlling the q after it lands.
in one of gradys dvds he showed a bunch of them in a nine ball situation and showed how you could play shape different ways.
in one of eddie robbins book there is a diagram of that move being used to get out of a trap

sorry for the digression
your threads/posts have lots of good stuff in them
keep 'em coming

Ron Lilies

Spot shot

Spot shot

Had a very good old time friend Mexican Phil (played in San Francisco at Cochrans) Spot shots should never be missed.I never seen him miss one, watched him play for years.:cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ron Lilies said:
Had a very good old time friend Mexican Phil (played in San Francisco at Cochrans) Spot shots should never be missed.I never seen him miss one, watched him play for years.:cool:
I believe Norm Webber told me that Phil played at Cochran's back around the late 50's early 60's... Were you also around Cochran's back then?

Thanks for posting.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
That is correct in the official OnePocket.org rules -- which are the basis of rules for most One Pocket tournaments. Private action is still a free-for-all :)[/QUOTE

Hwe is a Qouistion and a rule that doesnt make any sense its a rule because thats what the made it. One thing ios the same as the other its a jump shot.

So why is it legele to jump with your cue but not the jump cue?? I would love to her a sensable answer.

And If you can shoot the jump shot with your cue. And you jump the shot just with your shaft. And are you allowed to change shafts on any off your shots.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I believe Norm Webber told me that Phil played at Cochran's back around the late 50's early 60's... Were you also around Cochran's back then?

Thanks for posting.

If its who I am thinking off he played at the placa in Sf too. He played goog one pocket.

I thing he wasaround 5 foot 6 or 7 As I remember now I think he played nine ball too.

Quite guy too real nice and friendly. Im not sure if it was or not the guy I am talking about was one off the best players there.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
If its who I am thinking off he played at the placa in Sf too. He played goog one pocket.

I thing he wasaround 5 foot 6 or 7 As I remember now I think he played nine ball too.

Quite guy too real nice and friendly. Im not sure if it was or not the guy I am talking about was one off the best players there.

Yes I was youg then I couldnt play too good but I new how to hustle Thats when Grady beat me. At that time the way I played Grady played better then me . He was ahead off me at that time.

But I wont pretty good money up at Cocherens. If I could have spoke spanish I could have made a real big score. But I didnt speack spanish and the guy I backet was a ego maniack.

He was the best straight rail player in the world. He ended up beating Katzura Best woman 3 coushion player in life and straight rail and balk line.

She could have played any American 125 to 30 straight rail. But nobody new this guy.

I seen him play at 4th and main he played a guy 3 cushion billiards. All the gut had too do wae make 5 three coushion billiard points befor he ran 300 no count in straight rail.

The owner wanted to bet 1 hundred thousand on her against the guy I was backing. He told me I could bet what I wanted.

But I realy didnt no the Guy I was backing excepte when he played at 4th and main. And someone said he was the best in the world.

He was fom another country. But he played her the first night with Ivories and he never said nothing tell it was all over and I got a interpeter. And found out what happened.

They next night he anialated her with they plastics. And everyone could see she couldnt win. And if I would have known all this it would have been a lot different.

And if I realy new him and set it up he could have gotten spotted 150 to 75 with no problem and the owner off the pool room would have still bet on her. And everyone else bet on her like she was stealing.

But it was the opposite. And we one pretty good but nothing like we should have. And I beat Kashiki he spotted me 10 on 25. And I beat him pretty good. He was in the top 3 in the world.

But back then 3 choushion was played a little different and you need a stroke. And they played you could play safe.

Bud Harris was thier too he was I would say at that time the best 3 coushion billiard player in the city. But Kashicki could have spoted bud Harries 8 or 10 on 50.

He played good put that weight makes it a litle tough. But the owner got away.

And the second night he would walk the balls around the table and smile at everyone smoking a cigar and smiling like he was stealing.

This guy was a joke. But if you dont no somebody and you dont do things wrighjt thats what happines. I beat a few more people up at cockrens.

And at the palace. And a few bars. And I flew home. I won pretty good at Richie Florences pool room. It was set up perfect. And Richie got lucky he wasant in town. He would have went off pretty good.

And I played so bad the spotted me 8 to 2 and I never drew my cue ball.
I new what hustling was all about. And The people that were in with me told me the were going too hist me.

And they were going to set up a trap for the higest men but I didnt want too go through that and people getting killed over a pool game. Thats wy I went to Sf.

I played like 3 balls or less then I played at Bensingers and I played my best one pocket at Freddys North shore. Nobody would have one 5 ahead for big money.

And I can say Freddys North Shore Club. I realy liket the way I was playing . And the only time I realy played my real game was for big money and 5 ahead.

Because I won just by playing like everyone plays the game. Shoot what you think you should shot and what the shot and move was. I realy didnt want too show my real game because nobody would have played.

Thats why when I would play some one and they won the first time. The didnt win the second time. But the realy didnt no why. Nobody new but me.

And nobody ever in life played the game that way. All the do is follow each other and do the same thing and whoever misses the least shots wins.

Thier is no mistery in one pocket the way the play. If I ever commntate a game I should have no problem saying what the are going too shot before the shoot.

Because the way they play in you can read it like a book. Its all about shooting position and moveing balls. They call it power offense or aggressive offense but I could tell you ahesd off time what they will shoot.

Especialy if I watched the player play a couple session. I think I could call 90% off the shots he will shoot ahead off time. And a weacker player is even easier too read. Because the do the same think.

The players that shoot off the wall shots are harder too predict. Because the dont shoot the correct shots. And they have different Ideas. And they dont even no why they are doing that.

Even back in my days thier were a lot off shooters. And a few safe players They called squezzers. But I never realy seen anyone playing or thinking they way that I did. And even Hopkins was a safe player. Thats reay his game.

And thats how Clem and Joe Spath played. And Phoney. The were great safe player.By safe player. They wouldnt give you a shot. Thats what Whimmpy did because he realy didnt no they game.

But he played great position and he made every ball. And he new how to play safe. Kelly probably played the whole game the best out off all the players.

But players like Taylor Bugs Ronnie were a hair over him. But players like Jersey red Marvine Henderson Csnnon ball Corn Breas Red Chriss mageen even harold Worst were wright thier.

And all theese players were close. That Field I would take over the field today. PLaying one pocket.

Nine ball I would take todays field. Bank pool they older field. And Straight pool the older field. The only game I would give too todays player over the older players is nine ball. Even in three coushion I would take the older field.

But ist a different game roday Table and Balls. I would say todays players play a lot more then the use too play.The practice and can play for ever. But thats not hard to fugure out. That its because off the tournements.

And the women play better today then the older women and a lot more. Again the answer is because off the tournement.

And as far as I see it Allison Fisher number one off all times and Caron Corr number two. But thier will be some new young ones comeing up.

But it will be hard to pass up the way Allison fisher playes. And I couldnt even imagine howe many tournements she won.

And people go by tournement players because thats what they see. And always have.Even in 3 coushion billiards.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
wincardona said:

Billy I.

I have probably had an opponent whip out a jump cue on me two or three times. Since we hadn't negotiated the point before hand I just let them go. The first two times the shots went kablewee and they left me the table wide open. The third time I was like : Oh yes, Pulseee use the jump cue :)

Lou Figueroa