Clamato and One Pocket

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
Thursday night, my practice night. I always quit in the middle of my 3rd beer. 2 hours practicing with a couple of beers, is almost as good as a day of vacation. On days like this, when it's 70 degrees no wind and low humidity with a bright sun, I miss the good old days when I could talk to puff the magic dragon before I practiced or played. It doesn't happen often, but today I missed it. Anyway, I am on my 2nd Clamato after returning home for the evening, so I'll probably come back and read this tomorrow and laugh at how poorly it is written...

I had a couple of 4's and lots of 3's but not very motivated. No one to play here in Junction. I have only ran out a couple of times so I don't want to make it sound like I even think I'm a player, because I know better. As a kid, I grew up in the same town as a National Straight Pool Champ at the college level. We had a guy in my town that they called the greatest bar room player in the world. He was probably one of the top 3 in Oklahoma for 10 years or so. Maybe not as good as I was led to believe, but pretty good. I saw him run 12 on a bar table in 9 ball, and a couple runs in golf on a championship snooker table. That's obviously nothing to "The Beard" or Artie, but I can't do it. I know he played Buddy Hall at the King's Club in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and lost, but he was damned good. Him and my brother used to bet that I could take guys down and kiss them in 10 seconds. Bad bet, but we never lost. He was one of the guys to play in Oklahoma in the 70's. His name was/is Donnie Fulks. Jim McDermott who owns McGoo's is also from my small home town in N.E. Oklahoma, as is Dick...Christ, his name escapes me, and he's the best to come out of my town. He is/was either owner or part owner of the "Clicks" billiard rooms. Maybe those visits with puff in the 70's has had an effect on my memory.

I look forward to learning much and listening mostly to you players on here. I guess a blithering half drunk opening post is not the way to introduce myself to all of you, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I've loved my addiction to pool, since I was Donnies' backer a few times as an 18 year old Division I College Wrestler. That's where I got hooked. He was a sure bet when I backed him. We all split ways when I was still a teen-ager, but it was an amazing experience. So it's nice to be on here with all of you. I have wonderful pool experiences, but I'm sure all of mine pale in comparison to those that some on here have experienced. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, there is absolutely now doubt that I would choose One Pocket. So for all it's worth, I do understand how we all wound up here.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Peso said:
Thursday night, my practice night. I always quit in the middle of my 3rd beer. 2 hours practicing with a couple of beers, is almost as good as a day of vacation. On days like this, when it's 70 degrees no wind and low humidity with a bright sun, I miss the good old days when I could talk to puff the magic dragon before I practiced or played. It doesn't happen often, but today I missed it. Anyway, I am on my 2nd Clamato after returning home for the evening, so I'll probably come back and read this tomorrow and laugh at how poorly it is written...

I had a couple of 4's and lots of 3's but not very motivated. No one to play here in Junction. I have only ran out a couple of times so I don't want to make it sound like I even think I'm a player, because I know better. As a kid, I grew up in the same town as a National Straight Pool Champ at the college level. We had a guy in my town that they called the greatest bar room player in the world. He was probably one of the top 3 in Oklahoma for 10 years or so. Maybe not as good as I was led to believe, but pretty good. I saw him run 12 on a bar table in 9 ball, and a couple runs in golf on a championship snooker table. That's obviously nothing to "The Beard" or Artie, but I can't do it. I know he played Buddy Hall at the King's Club in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and lost, but he was damned good. Him and my brother used to bet that I could take guys down and kiss them in 10 seconds. Bad bet, but we never lost. He was one of the guys to play in Oklahoma in the 70's. His name was/is Donnie Fulks. Jim McDermott who owns McGoo's is also from my small home town in N.E. Oklahoma, as is Dick...Christ, his name escapes me, and he's the best to come out of my town. He is/was either owner or part owner of the "Clicks" billiard rooms. Maybe those visits with puff in the 70's has had an effect on my memory.

I look forward to learning much and listening mostly to you players on here. I guess a blithering half drunk opening post is not the way to introduce myself to all of you, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I've loved my addiction to pool, since I was Donnies' backer a few times as an 18 year old Division I College Wrestler. That's where I got hooked. He was a sure bet when I backed him. We all split ways when I was still a teen-ager, but it was an amazing experience. So it's nice to be on here with all of you. I have wonderful pool experiences, but I'm sure all of mine pale in comparison to those that some on here have experienced. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, there is absolutely now doubt that I would choose One Pocket. So for all it's worth, I do understand how we all wound up here.

Welcome Peso, nice post.

You will enjoy the site and a few beers won't hurt. I can't handle puff any more myself, but I am pushng 72 and still getting out there and mixing it up when I can. There is quite a bit of one pocket in Northern California to keep me going.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
Welcome Peso, nice post.

You will enjoy the site and a few beers won't hurt. I can't handle puff any more myself, but I am pushng 72 and still getting out there and mixing it up when I can. There is quite a bit of one pocket in Northern California to keep me going.

I came her thinking it was AA but I found out thier are pool hustlers on this site. And if you drink thats good.

Make sure you drink enough the more you drunk the more we like you. But read all the posts and learn what you want too learn.

And ask all the qouistions you can think off. We even have Doctores and Professers on her.

We have the greatest bankers and one pocket players. And we no all the answers.

You dont belive me just ask us. And we are open Day and Night. Therapy 24 houers a day.

The less you no the more we will like you.

And You need a 2 peace Que too join.

If you dont have one. We will recomend people who make great cue sticks.

And we have all kinds off books DVD anything youe heart desires.

The rules are fair. And even if you cant play we all welcome you.

And I think we can tost too that. And one toast is not enough.

Better make it a toast to ever one on the site. So whatever you drink have a lot in stock.

And the more I use too drink the smarter I got. So now I dont drink much excepte on hollidays.

Because I am smart enough already. And I dont want too get to smart.

And backers are always needed no experience nessasary.

But you will enjoy the site. And stay in stroke by drinking and playing pool.

You have no joined the smardest pool players in the world.

No Sharking alowed. And Our Doctor is Doctor Bill. He has all the remides for whatever ails you.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Welcome aboard. Maybe you, Artie, and Dick could have a Round Robin Blood Alcohol contest? I could only be a designated driver/clean here. Legend has it Phoenix has a Yukon Jack I.V. and that Artie likes cussing the police! Hope you can hang!

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
nice post.. I like the stream of consciousness style.

I, too, loved puff in my years when I was living and breathing pool. That could be why I don't remember a lot of details:D

But thanks to the randomness of people wanting to investigate my expulsions of my body, I sadly had to put ole puff down out back.

Welcome to the site, we take all kinds here.

Hopefully you aren't all sensitive and stuff.:)

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate the words of welcome. I'm curious to hear anything about Dick Lane. The hustler that I backed 3 for 4 times only, told me that he never beat Dick. (Boy, that sounds bad) Pawhuska, Oklahoma was where a few pretty good pool players called home. The old pool room there was run by Henry, "The old man's place" as it was called. They always played pitch with rocks, and he had the old brass spittoons and some pretty amazing action took place in that little pool room. I don't know if Dick Lane ever lived there, but I believe he did. Jim who owns McGoos in Tulsa, and Donnie that I mentioned earlier. A guy named Dave Matlock kind of took over as the best player in that area...Bartlesville, about 30 miles from Pawhuska, shortly after I moved away, I think a few of you know who he is. I think he had that standing 10,0000 bet in Bartlesville, for anyone in the world to play him on the local tables. Well, I'm going to start reading, but if any of you playas know some of the guys I mentioned, I'd enjoy hearing stories, etc.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Peso said:
I appreciate the words of welcome. I'm curious to hear anything about Dick Lane. The hustler that I backed 3 for 4 times only, told me that he never beat Dick. (Boy, that sounds bad) Pawhuska, Oklahoma was where a few pretty good pool players called home. The old pool room there was run by Henry, "The old man's place" as it was called. They always played pitch with rocks, and he had the old brass spittoons and some pretty amazing action took place in that little pool room. I don't know if Dick Lane ever lived there, but I believe he did. Jim who owns McGoos in Tulsa, and Donnie that I mentioned earlier. A guy named Dave Matlock kind of took over as the best player in that area...Bartlesville, about 30 miles from Pawhuska, shortly after I moved away, I think a few of you know who he is. I think he had that standing 10,0000 bet in Bartlesville, for anyone in the world to play him on the local tables. Well, I'm going to start reading, but if any of you playas know some of the guys I mentioned, I'd enjoy hearing stories, etc.

Ronnie Allen is from Oaklahoma. Thier was a great one pocket player from thier. Tobby always use too talk about him.

But I forgot his name. I was a kind in the carnival. When the put up the monarale.

And LBJ wae running for president. And they use too play Dominos in the pool room.

But Tobby talket real highly about this one pocket player. I wish I could remember his name.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lingo?

Lingo?

P00lh0li0 said:
Hayden Lingo? He's from OK I think. Jay Helfert was at OU for a bit.

I think Toby was too young to know Hayden Lingo. I was just a kid when I seen him just before he died.

Beard

He might have been talking about Norman Hitchcock who was not a great one pocket player. He was a great 9 ball player. I played Hitchcock 10 to 8 at Trulove's in OK city.

Beard

It wasnt Jay Helfert either.:)

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
fred bentivegna said:
I think Toby was too young to know Hayden Lingo. I was just a kid when I seen him just before he died.

Beard

He might have been talking about Norman Hitchcock who was not a great one pocket player. He was a great 9 ball player. I played Hitchcock 10 to 8 at Trulove's in OK city.

Beard

It wasnt Jay Helfert either.:)

Aaahhhh, True Loves. When I was coaching wrestling in Edmond, I used to make the drive down for those frosty mugs and I always played right in front of the air conditioner. I went by there last Summer, and it's not open any more. I've lived in Colorado about 20 years. Sadly, many great rooms have dissapeared. I think a guy named "Driller" was about the best around Oklahoma when I left. I think it was probably Driller on 9'ers and Matlock on the bar tables. I didn't even know what 1pkt was when I lived there, but used to play an older guy, wore a Gilligan style, but blue hat all the time. The locals said he was a champion in the 50's. I saw him once without his hat, and didn't recognize him. He said it was evidence down at the police station. He had to shoot and kill some PCP freak that jumped on him when he got home late one night. Anyway, that's about the time I left, but the old guy could still school me until he lost that hat. Must have been like Sampson without his hair or something. Wish I had written down his name, he was always in that blue Gilligan hat though, and he made me better just hitting balls with the guy.
I love it that I played in a room that the Beard stopped in. Pretty cool.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Peso said:
Aaahhhh, True Loves. When I was coaching wrestling in Edmond, I used to make the drive down for those frosty mugs and I always played right in front of the air conditioner. I went by there last Summer, and it's not open any more. I've lived in Colorado about 20 years. Sadly, many great rooms have dissapeared. I think a guy named "Driller" was about the best around Oklahoma when I left. I think it was probably Driller on 9'ers and Matlock on the bar tables. I didn't even know what 1pkt was when I lived there, but used to play an older guy, wore a Gilligan style, but blue hat all the time. The locals said he was a champion in the 50's. I saw him once without his hat, and didn't recognize him. He said it was evidence down at the police station. He had to shoot and kill some PCP freak that jumped on him when he got home late one night. Anyway, that's about the time I left, but the old guy could still school me until he lost that hat. Must have been like Sampson without his hair or something. Wish I had written down his name, he was always in that blue Gilligan hat though, and he made me better just hitting balls with the guy.
I love it that I played in a room that the Beard stopped in. Pretty cool.

That was Norman Hitchcock I remember thats the name he gave. He said he was great.

And he doesnt say that too often. So I no he had too be a great player.

I never seen him play. But he said he played as good as anyone.

I hope if he was that great that just showes he might be another great player that with time will not get in the Hall off Fame.

And I think he said he played great one handed too. I guess Ronnie should no him.

Did they ever play. Ronnie and Hutchcock? But that was definatly the name Norman. Hiychcock.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
That was Norman Hitchcock I remember thats the name he gave. He said he was great.

And he doesnt say that too often. So I no he had too be a great player.

I never seen him play. But he said he played as good as anyone.

I hope if he was that great that just showes he might be another great player that with time will not get in the Hall off Fame.

And I think he said he played great one handed too. I guess Ronnie should no him.

Did they ever play. Ronnie and Hutchcock? But that was definatly the name Norman. Hiychcock.

I was traveling cross country with Jimmy Rempe after one of the Stardust Tournaments, we were having a good time with the drive cutting up jack pots when I said lets stop in Oklahoma City there might be some action there. We stopped in Trueloves and Chester was there with Hitchcock, Chester asked Rempe if he wanted to play Norman and we agreed to play some 9 ball. Chester gave us gas money to finish our drive, Rempe didn't play very good, but Norman did. It goes that ways sometimes.

Billy I.

bstroud

Verified Member
My second year I went to college in Norman, OK.

I went over to play Hitchcock in OKC.
I had just won the college snooker tournament.
We played even snooker on his home court and broke even.
He could really play.

On another day I watched Lingo and Eufalla play some one pocket in another room in OKC. I don't remember the name of the room but it had a glass front with a recessed door and they were playing on the first table to the left.

There was a bench seat in the front window and I just sat down and watched for a while. The didn't say much. Just played. Neither asked me to play. I would have said no anyway as one pocket was kind of new to me then. Both were good players from what I saw.

Bill Stroud

Peso

From
Fruita, Colorado
I heard there were 20 good players for every 1 now a days. Sheesh, they didn't even bring in the foosball tables till I was in Jr.HIgh. Now they got everything but hookers on interactive games...maybe they got that too, I'll check and get back with y'all later...just kidding, but you know so many good pool rooms have disappeared. Table Steaks, both of them, in Denver. Danny's place by Sloans Lake has been gone for several years. Danny announced me on his loud speaker when I beat a local guy named Steve Knight. I'm not even in that cat's league, but I found a zone one day. Colorado Cue Club, Shane Van B. played there a few times, when he was staying in Denver. I guess Paradise was his place, but that's now Hank's Billiards on 38th and Sheridan. Chuck Nielson tried to teach me one-pocket in Paradise...Hank's, but it's taking me a lot longer than he thought, lol.

Just my limited memories from my life long hobby are priceless to me. I love hearing about you guys that were the best of the best, when there was a million players. The story about the dog in Frank's book was priceless. That took me back in my mind to several pool rooms watching guys play that were honed by hustling. I'm so stoked, I'm going down to Bank 8 and see if I can get a game of banks or one-hole. Later boys, and I'll make sure to check on that Wei LOTN thing too.