Gabe Owen vs. Alex Pagulayan 2010 D.C.C.#3

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
First, my g/f would probably tell me to lose a few pounds cuz I'm filling out my shirt.. and I'd nod and tell her I'll start working on it soon. :D

Then I may try this.. (hopefully it comes out ok for a hack)

test.png

Edit - Yeah, what JR said. Get that CB locked with or between the 6 and 15 while getting the 9 to the other side. Not sure if my attachment came out alright, since I can't see it. :/

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
He might not get another shot as good as this one, so I am banking the nine, running the cue into the six and hoping I get some kind of follow up shot if I make it.

Yeah John, might as well just go now - probably won't get anything better later....if you're not gonna go now, then I guess you're gonna hafta go into ultra-patient Nick Varner mode...:)

- Ghosty

treeMan

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah John, might as well just go now - probably won't get anything better later....if you're not gonna go now, then I guess you're gonna hafta go into ultra-patient Nick Varner mode...:)

- Ghosty

Whatever it takes to win the game.

I wouldn't go for the bank here because I don't think I could get much more unless I got a perfect roll.

I would bank the 9 up into the side rail and try to skim the high stripe near the side pocket and at least get the 9 on my side, drawing the cue-ball to near Alex's pocket.

Also I would make sure I don't disturb the 5 and 13(?) that are doubled up towards Alex, pocket. I need to rearrange the furniture a bit (thanks Dr.) before I go off in this game.

tree

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i'll shoot off safe
9 into the rail, hope to move some balls over
leave whitey on rail and/or in front of opponents pocket

(this is an awesome forum)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I always pick my spots to lose the game. I'm picking right here. All the balls are in play and I've got a chance to open them up a little if I make the 9 ball bank
and hit the 6 &12 balls.:p
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Well Gabe did bank the 9 but he didn't get a great chance to run out. The cueball actually came back and took the place of the 6 ball. I didn't want to clutter up the layout more than necessary.

GO's Shot.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Well Gabe did bank the 9 but he didn't get a great chance to run out. The cueball actually came back and took the place of the 6 ball. I didn't want to clutter up the layout more than necessary.

View attachment 2885

Maybe it wan't the right time to shoot. Even though you trail 6 to 0 and the balls are still relatively in play, based on that criterion alone it's not enough to shoot. You must have some reasonable plan if you're going to shoot an even money bank in scenarios like this one.

I think that situations like the one shown the player would fare better if he would employ the Nick Varner principle.:eek:

Billy I.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
My 1P credentials are not up there at the top(they might be near the bottom)

Having said that, at 6-0 gabe has 2 choices play the score and bank the 9 and gamble a little on getting another shot, he could win from here if he gets a favorable roll. Or turn the game into a up table game which I dont like because I think Alex is gonna get 2 before Gabe gets 8 in a up table game.

So IMO he has to swing at the 9, make it and deal with the next shot when it comes up. Seems to me by the looks of the balls alex could have left gabe in a worse spot the shot before this one.

thats how I see it

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
All the balls are a laying against Gabe. Why not go? it's a safe shot and now he has the cross corner to bank and after that a long rail putting the cue behind the 15. If you don't go here where do you go? When you're stuck on the rail try to save a ball? Gabes game is nine ball one pocket. He hasn't played a safe since the Reno open ten years ago.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Maybe it wan't the right time to shoot. Even though you trail 6 to 0 and the balls are still relatively in play, based on that criterion alone it's not enough to shoot. You must have some reasonable plan if you're going to shoot an even money bank in scenarios like this one.

I think that situations like the one shown the player would fare better if he would employ the Nick Varner principle.:eek:
Billy, I'd bet a dollar to a penny that you'd shoot the 9-ball here.:rolleyes: Besides, Gabe didn't get shape, but he left the CB pretty tough if he'd missed. NOW he could start the Varner squeeze...:)

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
My 1P credentials are not up there at the top(they might be near the bottom)

Having said that, at 6-0 gabe has 2 choices play the score and bank the 9 and gamble a little on getting another shot, he could win from here if he gets a favorable roll. Or turn the game into a up table game which I dont like because I think Alex is gonna get 2 before Gabe gets 8 in a up table game.

So IMO he has to swing at the 9, make it and deal with the next shot when it comes up. Seems to me by the looks of the balls alex could have left gabe in a worse spot the shot before this one.

thats how I see it

Sorry for the hijack little buddy,I just got to say..that's the table that's setting In my basement right now.It even has the scares on It from Efren's big belt buckle!! I got It right after I won the banks.Thank you..please carry on.John B.

treeMan

Verified Member
androd said:
I always pick my spots to lose the game. I'm picking right here. All the balls are in play and I've got a chance to open them up a little if I make the 9 ball bank
and hit the 6 &12 balls.:p
Rod.

I'm feeling frisky so I'll take up the venerable androd (purely for the sake of discussion).

How do you see all the balls in play here? Maybe for Alex they are. The only ball that goes for Gabe is the 8. Those two tied up balls (2 and 11?) don't go and they block the way for pretty much all the other balls. And I don't see much chance in breaking them up with the bank. So why go here? 6-0 or 6-1 doesn't make much difference here.

To me it's a 50/50 bank with something like a 1/6 chance to get more balls, which is not enough to make me go, even down 6-0. Guys that are near the finish line or have a big lead often get impatient and want to take it down, or get too passive trying to "play the score," both of which can lead to better chances to get back in this game.

Of course my frame of reference isn't champions so take it all with a rock of salt.

tree

senor

Verified Member
treeMan said:
I'm feeling frisky so I'll take up the venerable androd (purely for the sake of discussion).

How do you see all the balls in play here? Maybe for Alex they are. The only ball that goes for Gabe is the 8. Those two tied up balls (2 and 11?) don't go and they block the way for pretty much all the other balls. And I don't see much chance in breaking them up with the bank. So why go here? 6-0 or 6-1 doesn't make much difference here.

To me it's a 50/50 bank with something like a 1/6 chance to get more balls, which is not enough to make me go, even down 6-0. Guys that are near the finish line or have a big lead often get impatient and want to take it down, or get too passive trying to "play the score," both of which can lead to better chances to get back in this game.

Of course my frame of reference isn't champions so take it all with a rock of salt.

tree

"All the balls in play" means they are all below the side pocket and all Gabe has to do is make the 9 and open up the 15/2 and he really could run all of them...and so could Androd ;)

And your notion is correct, Alex is probably not going to dog it off from here, Gabe will have to take it from him.

treeMan

Verified Member
senor said:
"... all Gabe has to do is make the 9 and open up the 15/2 and he really could run all of them...and so could Androd ;)

That's sounds easy enough, but I don't see a "reliable" way to open up the 15-2 off the bank, and as long as they are where they are, then the balls aren't quite in-play for the shooter, imo. The 15-2 are why I don't think one should go off here.

tree

senor

Verified Member
treeMan said:
That's sounds easy enough, but I don't see a "reliable" way to open up the 15-2 off the bank, and as long as they are where they are, then the balls aren't quite in-play for the shooter, imo. The 15-2 are why I don't think one should go off here.

tree

Yes, the situation is not ideal, but down 6-0 against a world class player it seems that the unpredictability of where all the balls wind up is secondary to pocketing the 9. Seems to me that if the 9 is hit with medium right spin, the cue ball will carom off of the 6 into the 15/2. What happens after that carom is unknown. To me it looks like the cue ball could then hit the 7, sending the cue ball to the wrong side of the table, but it could be worth the risk right here.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
treeMan said:

tree

Well results of the shot would've been a little different for me.
#1 I'd probably miss the bank twisting it to get shape.
#2 I'd have tried to hit the 6 and then the 15 balls.
#3 I'd have been a basket case waiting for Alex to shoot.:(
#4 I certainly wouldn't want him to push the balls uptable.:mad:

Senor's correct about the balls being below the side pockets.
Patience isn't my forte, that's why I don't play tournaments.

I wouldn't disagree that it might not be the correct spot to shoot.:)
Bless your heart for having the discipline to wait, it's a fine trait. ;)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Billy, I'd bet a dollar to a penny that you'd shoot the 9-ball here.:rolleyes: Besides, Gabe didn't get shape, but he left the CB pretty tough if he'd missed. NOW he could start the Varner squeeze...:)

Doc
No Art i'm not shooting, after looking at the layout for the last several days i'm drawing off the 2 ball and repositioning the cue ball on the foot rail at dia. #1 by Alex's pocket. The balls will then be open for me to be a threat. If Alex plays solid I will do the same and hope that I end up with a better shot than the 9 ball bank that I passed.

I've won many games trailing 6 to 0 with basically the same layout, i'm sure Gabe has the skills to win many himself.

There's still a lot of work to do to get the balls up table and out of play, having patience in this situation is my choice.

Billy I.