wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
after that shot he left himself like this

this was the shot before buddys and then jeremy scratched

http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=68507&postcount=117

This was the shot that he lost control with, if you notice where he left the cue ball you will see what i'm talking about. If he would of played more cue ball when he double banked the 11 ball and positioned it on the foot rail behind the 10 ball Buddy would have never been able to shoot the 11 ball and put him in a trap.

The shot that Jeremy shot with the combination was just a bad roll, he deserved better. But not the following shot with the double bank on the 11 ball.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
This was the shot that he lost control with, if you notice where he left the cue ball you will see what i'm talking about. If he would of played more cue ball when he double banked the 11 ball and positioned it on the foot rail behind the 10 ball Buddy would have never been able to shoot the 11 ball and put him in a trap.

The shot that Jeremy shot with the combination was just a bad roll, he deserved better. But not the following shot with the double bank on the 11 ball.

Billy I.
thanks billy for the reply:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
well jeremy did shoot the 2 ball -stripe combo
got a double kiss and left himself like this
View attachment 2871
View attachment 2870
its still jeremys shot
Yeah, this was the shot that Jeremy "earned" out of that long exchange of great safeties. It seems like for him to clear out his side the way he did, he must have shot the combo kinda firm, playing position for one of the balls along the bottom rail rather than soft rolling for position on the first ball in the combo, straight pool style.

Myself, being considered a better mover than I am a shooter, I feel like I often "beat my opponent to the shot" only to miss the damn shot so they get to mop up -- grrrr.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I wouldn't have liked to slow roll the combo because it wouldn't have been a free shot if he missed. He would have been on the wrong side of Buddy's balls. I was advocating a kind of 'strokey' shot where you don't hit them too hard but you keep stun english on the cue ball so you move to the right. I didn't think it through to all the possible kisses.

At any rate, I learned my lesson. Now let's go back to post #131 like Artie suggests. What is Jeremy supposed to do? Assuming he can't see all of the stripe on the bottom rail at the first diamond from Buddy's pocket, I'm thinking he should kick off the side rail between the 9 and his pocket and aim for The bottom rail just in front of Buddy's pocket and die there or keep going until he tucks up under the stripe closest to the pocket. Very tough shot but he is in a really tough place. Whadd'y'a think?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:

Billy I.
the shot billy is talking about is #126
http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=68549&postcount=126
if use arties approach of not how do you get out of the trap but what did you do to let your opponent put you there
artie i assume im right on with this thinking
it really is the shot in post 126 that started the downward spiral
from there we can consider shot 131
http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=68567&postcount=131
i think from here he has to get the cue near the corner pocket up table from buddys pocket whatever shot gets him there
just to bide time
hes already in deep doo doo
from shot #126 and buddys reply

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
the shot billy is talking about is #126
http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=68549&postcount=126
if use arties approach of not how do you get out of the trap but what did you do to let your opponent put you there
artie i assume im right on with this thinking
it really is the shot in post 126 that started the downward spiral
from there we can consider shot 131
http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=68567&postcount=131
i think from here he has to get the cue near the corner pocket up table from buddys pocket whatever shot gets him there
just to bide time
hes already in deep doo doo
from shot #126 and buddys reply
I went to the Ultimate Ten Ball tournament in Frisco Tx. last night and bumped into Jeremy Jones, I asked him if he remembered that match he played with Buddy. His response was "wasn't that a great match" I said yes it was a very well played match by both of you. He then said "what about that cold roll I got when I shot the combination" I said I thought it was a bad roll too and said that the following shot where you lost the cue ball double banking the 11 ball cost you the match. He didn't say much to that, but he did say 'did you see how I lost the match by scratching" I didn't say much in answer to that.

Just thought i'd mention that.

There are many times when we're playing that we feel it's right to shoot, but for reasons things don't always work out. Just because things at times don't work out, that doesn't necessarily mean you shot a bad shot. I try to be as objective as possible, I really don't like playing results that's not my style of commentary. Jeremy imo didn't make a bad shot shooting the combo, I must give him the respect that he's earned based on his good judgement. If I was betting on him and knew he was playing the combo I wouldn't feel badly at all, even if he missed it. I would feel that he thought it was the right thing to do, and when I made my decision to bet on him that's exactly what i'm doing...betting on him...

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
I went to the Ultimate Ten Ball tournament in Frisco Tx. last night and bumped into Jeremy Jones, I asked him if he remembered that match he played with Buddy. His response was "wasn't that a great match" I said yes it was a very well played match by both of you. He then said "what about that cold roll I got when I shot the combination" I said I thought it was a bad roll too and said that the following shot where you lost the cue ball double banking the 11 ball cost you the match. He didn't say much to that, but he did say 'did you see how I lost the match by scratching" I didn't say much in answer to that.

There are many times when we're playing that we feel it's right to shoot, but for reasons things don't always work out. Just because things at times don't work out, that doesn't necessarily mean you shot a bad shot. I try to be as objective as possible, I really don't like playing results that's not my style of commentary. Jeremy imo didn't make a bad shot shooting the combo, I must give him the respect that he's earned based on his good judgement. If I was betting on him and knew he was playing the combo I wouldn't feel badly at all, even if he missed it. I would feel that he thought it was the right thing to do, and when I made my decision to bet on him that's exactly what i'm doing...betting on him...

Billy I.
Billy thats a great anecdote to tell. what a coincidence to run into jeremy right after we dissected that game.
i guess certain matches stick out in your mind as you go thru your carreer.
i can understand that the roll he got on the combo
and of course the scratch that ultimately cost him the game stands out in his memory.
but if he just could have controlled the cue ball alittle better on the 2 rail bank on the 11...........................

Hungarian

wincardona said:

Billy I.

Billy:

Thats a pretty funny exchange with Jeremy.

By the way, I too went to the UTC event and had the pleasure of chewing the fat with you while we watched JJ vs Putman and Alex vs Klatt. We talked about Johnstown, PA, and the difference between great players playing great vs great players playing absolutely solid. Example, Scott shoots the 2 railer vs Dippy, etc.

Enjoyed speaking with you and feel my game has gone up 1/2 a ball as a result.

Cheers,
Mark in Houston

I remember watching this Buddy vs JJ match on VHS. didn't JJ have him 3-0?

senor

Verified Member
Hungarian Nut said:
Billy:

By the way, I too went to the UTC event and had the pleasure of chewing the fat with you while we watched JJ vs Putman and Alex vs Klatt. We talked about Johnstown, PA, and the difference between great players playing great vs great players playing absolutely solid. Example, Scott shoots the 2 railer vs Dippy, etc.

Cheers,
Mark in Houston

Nut, I'm not sure if they let your kind in here :confused: meaning we here on this forum are all diligent, patient and careful one pocket players who never shoot flyers straight up in the air like saddams scuds :rolleyes: Welcome to the site!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Hungarian Nut said:
Billy:

Cheers,
Mark in Houston

Mark, I could't tell you if Buddy was trailing 3-0, I don't have the tape and don't recall what did happen.

I enjoyed talking to you too, and i'm glad that I helped you with your thinking playing one pocket. When ever you have a chance to sit next to grey hair people do it, you can always leave if you don't like what you're hearing.

I wish I could sit down with someone that can explain to me how not to miss so many balls, other than taking time off.:D

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
I wish I could sit down with someone that can explain to me how not to miss so many balls, other than taking time off.:D

Billy I.
only shoot what you can execute???:rolleyes: :D
just kidding billy but couldnt resist:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
only shoot what you can execute???:rolleyes: :D
just kidding billy but couldnt resist:)
If only I could stick to that, but than I wouldn't have many options, plus the challenges in the the game would be taken away, and along with that goes the fun.:D

We must try to improve our game, and a big part of that is to challenge ourselves and learn through our mistakes. Like trial and error, no better way of learning than experiencing the agony of defeat. Lessons are learned better that way.

But you must remember that there's a time and place for every thing.

Billy I.

Hungarian

senor said:
Nut, I'm not sure if they let your kind in here :confused: meaning we here on this forum are all diligent, patient and careful one pocket players who never shoot flyers straight up in the air like saddams scuds :rolleyes: Welcome to the site!

Senor, You must thinking of the old Nut. Didn't you read my post....Billy straightened me out and now I know to always play solid instead of just great.