Mental Lapses

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
I jumped on Philadelphia Joe Veasey once for dumping one of the regulars at Five Points Bowl. This was his reply: "John, get busted 3,000 miles away from home and see what you would do".
I would not and did not ever dump anyone. I never got 3,000 miles away from home either. When I saw I could not make it playing pool, I got a job.

What he said...(but 2800 miles from home, is as far as I ever gotten. Another 200 may have made a difference..NOT)...:cool:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
One word for you : ROUTINE.
Apply it to shot selection, cueball adress, stroking, and looking at the next shot.
MGM Tony said:
Warning: Long post, tl;dr at the bottom if you don't want to sift through this.

Hello everyone,

I started playing pool again about a month ago, I've been putting in at least forty hours every week. I had a championship Snooker table when I was a kid that I played on everyday but I took about three years off for personal reasons. I've gotten my play and abilities back to where I now play a little above and think far above where I used to be. I dedicate almost all my free time to pool and I recently developed a love for one pocket. It's a fantastic game.

I live in Michigan just a hairbreadth outside of Detroit, so there is no lack of pool around here. One of the pool halls near my condo has small tournaments throughout the week and I play every single one of them that I can. There is a lot of talent around here. Sometimes I go over to Ron Wiseman's stomping ground and watch him play some nights. There is always a big money one pocket game around here.

Back to the point, these little tournaments (start at 7ish end around 12 or 1 depending on the number of players) that I play in, I come to find out that I have terrible mental lapses. I am a certified choke artist. If you didn't know better you'd think I was throwing the game. I blow easy game winning shots, or I give up easy three ball run-outs. I don't have a problem with execution normally, I practice at every available opportunity. When I gamble, I don't miss these shots but for some reason, whenever I play these tournaments, something doesn't click. I don't know why.

Surprisingly there is a lot of talent that plays in these. I've played against Adam Smith on a couple of occasions and like I said before I watch Ronnie whenever I get a chance. I've been fortunate enough to chat with these fellas and I keep hearing the same thing, practice. But practice doesn't stop me from choking. I've started doing some meditation and zen focus exercises. That seems to help a little bit. I did better today than I have before (may also be because I didn't draw A+ players) but I felt better to. How do you guys combat mental lapses and over analysis? I know that I can't be the only one who goes through this so what are some things that I can do to get my head right?

tl;dr - I choke when shooting game deciding shots what do?

P.S. I was so happy to get my verification email today. Feels like Christmas.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
MGM Tony

MGM Tony

Welcome to the site... there is an incredible amount of knowledge here...

by the way, I am seeking the same as you... here are some of the tidbits I have picked up...

1. Play your speed (or as Artie says, perfect pool), make the shots you can make, practice the ones you can't at home, or away from the tournament or gambling...

2. Write it down... when you do lose, make a mental note of what you did to lose, write it down in a notebook and go back and look at it to re-enforce it into your mind so you won't do it again... Same goes for a win... analysis of positive and negative feedback...

3. Seek out the best you can find to help, (there are lots on this site), to show and talk you through a game, shot by shot... I have been blessed by a few of the members here...

4. You are only playing the table, your opponent really doesn't matter, he only arranges the game for you to figure out, this has been the hardest for me to learn...

5. Play hard, but have fun, it is why we play...

Longest post I have ever written... Good luck in your pursuit... If you are ever on the Mississippi Coast give me a shout for a game...

Bille :cool:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wgcp said:
Welcome to the site... there is an incredible amount of knowledge here...

by the way, I am seeking the same as you... here are some of the tidbits I have picked up...

1. Play your speed (or as Artie says, perfect pool), make the shots you can make, practice the ones you can't at home, or away from the tournament or gambling...

2. Write it down... when you do lose, make a mental note of what you did to lose, write it down in a notebook and go back and look at it to re-enforce it into your mind so you won't do it again... Same goes for a win... analysis of positive and negative feedback...

3. Seek out the best you can find to help, (there are lots on this site), to show and talk you through a game, shot by shot... I have been blessed by a few of the members here...

4. You are only playing the table, your opponent really doesn't matter, he only arranges the game for you to figure out, this has been the hardest for me to learn...

5. Play hard, but have fun, it is why we play...

Longest post I have ever written... Good luck in your pursuit... If you are ever on the Mississippi Coast give me a shout for a game...

Bille :cool:
Very good Billie, except for your rule #4, playing the player is sometimes an important part of winning. There are weaknesses and strengths that we all have as players, it's up to us to figure out our opponents weaknesses and play into them when available. Same thing with their strengths, except we play away from their strengths.

I hope I didn't confuse you, or contradict another's opinion, but that's what I do when I play.

Good luck with your game.

Billy I.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doctor I,
soon as I try to play to someones weakness, as in some of my notes, by grace, luck or whatever they seem to come with a shot...
that is why I try my best to play (what limited ability I have), the table as it is left to me...
maybe as I learn more, I will see more opportunities... I practice as much as a working stiff allows...

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
wincardona said:
Very good Billie, except for your rule #4, playing the player is sometimes an important part of winning. There are weaknesses and strengths that we all have as players, it's up to us to figure out our opponents weaknesses and play into them when available. Same thing with their strengths, except we play away from their strengths.

I hope I didn't confuse you, or contradict another's opinion, but that's what I do when I play.

Billy I.

A friend and I play every week. He dogs easy cuts & straight-in shots but nails two, three, and four rail banks with mind numbing regularity. I'm learning to leave him long & medium straight-in shots (distance is my friend) but absolutely no multi-rail banks.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:

Billy I.

Leave the old guys down on the end rail. We'll probably play safe. :D
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cary said:
A friend and I play every week. He dogs easy cuts & straight-in shots but nails two, three, and four rail banks with mind numbing regularity. I'm learning to leave him long & medium straight-in shots (distance is my friend) but absolutely no multi-rail banks.
bille(wgcp)
this is what Billy I. was trying to tell you

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Tony, From your original post it appears you miss important shots not through physical ability but a mental barrier. There have been many good suggestions but may I add one?

When you are in this situation again change your mental reference. Instead of thinking that this is an important One Pocket shot--- think that this is a snooker shot or 9 ball shot.

Sometimes a change of mental scenery can be more helpful than fighting a lingering mental obstacle.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Tony, From your original post it appears you miss important shots not through physical ability but a mental barrier. There have been many good suggestions but may I add one?

When you are in this situation again change your mental reference. Instead of thinking that this is an important One Pocket shot--- think that this is a snooker shot or 9 ball shot.

Sometimes a change of mental scenery can be more helpful than fighting a lingering mental obstacle.[/QUOTE

Joe I have said meny times do not look for gimmicks and angles.

PLay the game they way its suppose too be played.

If you feel unconftrable about a shot or a situation. Stepe back and think about what you have too do. Thake a deep breath off air and relax yourself.

If you dont feel relaxed get back up again take another deep breath and relax youreself. And face the shot with a good solid thought.

Figure out ahead off time what you are going too do. Then get down and line youre shot up. And when you feel you are lined up and relaxet go ahead and shoot youre shot.

Give it your best effort and concentrate totaly on what you looking too acomplish.

Geel the pressure but dont let it take control off you. Face the shot with confedence and give it youre best. the presure should make you feel more aleart and bear down on the shot.

And then shoot the shot with a smooth controled stroke. Dont jab aor hurry up and shoot so the pressure goes away. But face the chalnge and give it a smooth stroke.

And your resulte will be ok. And your mind knowes you gave it your best. And you didnt just shoot or pannick. You facet the shot and the challange. in a controled way. And you gave youre best effort.

And nobody can give any more. And you gave it your all. And thought about the shot and how too shoot it And you gave your best effort in execuiting the shot.

MGM Tony

Artie, you are on the right track. I think that I lose focus or make the shot less important. I met a pretty good shortstop (very intelligent one pocket player) last week whom gave me some good advice, a couple of drills, some pointers and some overall help. Basically, he told me what I need to hear, very similar to what Artie said.

Also, I played again today and I have been becoming much stronger in the last couple of weeks. This is an extension of my new outlook on life. When I get frustrated, I tend to focus better in general. For some reason I care less about the outcome and more on the task at hand. When I get frustrated, I adopt a nothing to lose attitude and mentality. In a nine ball tournament today, I went hill hill with my opponent after being up 4-0, missing a couple of easy but crucial shots. I got so mad at myself, I channeled my frustration instead of go berserk. My opponent pushed, left me a glimmer of a shot and I ran out. I didn't miss due to forcing all that energy (not really negative or positive, it's all just energy but if we attach meaning to it then the outcome is affected) into my play. I made one incredibly difficult shot after that push and then I was perfect for the rest of the rack.

Afterwords, I just stepped back and thought about how to keep that intensity all the time. I still don't have an answer yet, but I think I am on the right track.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for the input, there is an array of great ideas here.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
MGM Tony said:
Artie, you are on the right track. I think that I lose focus or make the shot less important. I met a pretty good shortstop (very intelligent one pocket player) last week whom gave me some good advice, a couple of drills, some pointers and some overall help. Basically, he told me what I need to hear, very similar to what Artie said.

Also, I played again today and I have been becoming much stronger in the last couple of weeks. This is an extension of my new outlook on life. When I get frustrated, I tend to focus better in general. For some reason I care less about the outcome and more on the task at hand. When I get frustrated, I adopt a nothing to lose attitude and mentality. In a nine ball tournament today, I went hill hill with my opponent after being up 4-0, missing a couple of easy but crucial shots. I got so mad at myself, I channeled my frustration instead of go berserk. My opponent pushed, left me a glimmer of a shot and I ran out. I didn't miss due to forcing all that energy (not really negative or positive, it's all just energy but if we attach meaning to it then the outcome is affected) into my play. I made one incredibly difficult shot after that push and then I was perfect for the rest of the rack.

Afterwords, I just stepped back and thought about how to keep that intensity all the time. I still don't have an answer yet, but I think I am on the right track.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for the input, there is an array of great ideas here.

Just keep playing and always think. Play as hard as you can and then push yourself harder.

You need lots off playing and experience. And when you are ready.

The real test will be when it counts and has vaue too it. When you miss a shot it cost you youre money. Thats the real test.

If you play in a good money game. Or isn a good money tournement. The value off what you are playing for will show up.

So will all youre hard work and effort. But dont gamble or play in a big tournement tell you are ready. You will no when you are ready.

By howe you perform at the table. And good players play a lot better when it means something.

But you have too learn first and dont make a silly game because off your EgO and give youre money away.

If you gamble and youre not winning that means you need more practice and learning.

It takes a lot off hard work and concentration too become a good player.

It does not happen by axcedent. People put in theier time and hard work.

Nothing is easy. But if you want too be a good player then keep playing. And watching the good players what the do.

I recomend that you watch the finale game especialy.

Because both players play very haed too win. And they dont just shoot up in the air.

Stay foucused on what you are doing . And if you gey in a game. And you need too no what too do on a certain shot.

Ask a good player. Ask more then just one opinion. Umless you no they are realy qualified. And thier are not too meny off those people.

And practice what you missed playing in the game. Tell you no you can make that shot. Next time you play and a similaer shot showes up.

You should be able too execute the shot. And never give up or get aggrevated. If you are agrevated dont play.

Or go and wash your face and get youre head together. Take a few minutes away from the game. That should change your attitude.

And get back too concentrating on the game. It is no good yoo play if youre mind is not on the game or you dont feel like playing. Play another time.

Because youre not going to learn anything when you dont feel like playing and you are agrrivated.

Your mind has too be on the game. And like I always said. You should be playing too win. If youre not playing too win.

You need to go and sit down and ask youself what are you playing for,

Your goal is too play and you play too win. If you cant do that. You realy need too stop and think. WHY you are even playing.

You play pool to win. And its ok if you want too play just too have fun. But you need to answer these qouistions to yourself . WHY YOU ARE PLAYING.

BUt keep youre energy rooling . But what happines too your energy when you are not playing good.

Do you only have all that energy when you are playing good.

You are playing as hard as you can every time you play. Because you want too be a player. You got it Now go ahead and do it.

Nobody can do it for you. But yourself.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Tony,

Once you understand the import of this little gem you will be on your way;) .

Who was the pretty good shortstop that helped you?

Dennis

If you can get mad at yourself. You can reverse it and be happy with youself.

Just take the happy side and you will be OK.

Beating youself up is not the answer. And you want you and youre mind too be on the good side.

Not on the side against yourself. You are the greatest guy in the world too yourself.

And with that thought you will be the kind off person you want too be.

No more picking on youself. Its not what will make you feel good.

Have a happy and wonderfull day. AS much as you love pool. Love yourself the same way. And you will allways feel good about youself.

Next time you get angry or mad say to youself. I dont want too be that person.

Smile and the world smiles with you. When Eferine makes a mistake watch his face and reaction.

He starts smiling and scratches his head. THats a great attitude too have. THats why he is a winner.

MGM Tony

Sometimes when I miss shots I start laughing. I don't know why but it seems to break tension sometimes. I still feel the anger but the laughter seems to help a little. Like I said before though, there is no negative or positive energy. It's all just energy and only becomes something else if we attach meaning to it.

The shortstops name is Tony, like me. I think he's Macedonian or Milano. All the good players I talk to just say practice and talk to other players. So I do. My game is getting much better. I try to care less about losing and more about how I play. If I play my best and still lose, I don't get angry because there was nothing I could do. If I play below my best and win I say "Well I won but I got really lucky and need to play better than that." But if I play like I have nothing to lose, I always play my best. That's what happened yesterday, I had a really tricky shot across the table that had to be hit perfect with the perfect draw to get a decent leave at the next shot. I had all these thoughts of Oh just play safe here and hope he misses; that shot is too hard don't take it, etc. but as I was standing there, I said,"F--K it" got down and ran out. No over-thinking, just point and shoot.

EDIT: Artie, your wisdom is like the perfect woman, it's almost impossible to find.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
MGM Tony said:
Sometimes when I miss shots I start laughing. I don't know why but it seems to break tension sometimes. I still feel the anger but the laughter seems to help a little. Like I said before though, there is no negative or positive energy. It's all just energy and only becomes something else if we attach meaning to it.

The shortstops name is Tony, like me. I think he's Macedonian or Milano. All the good players I talk to just say practice and talk to other players. So I do. My game is getting much better. I try to care less about losing and more about how I play. If I play my best and still lose, I don't get angry because there was nothing I could do. If I play below my best and win I say "Well I won but I got really lucky and need to play better than that." But if I play like I have nothing to lose, I always play my best. That's what happened yesterday, I had a really tricky shot across the table that had to be hit perfect with the perfect draw to get a decent leave at the next shot. I had all these thoughts of Oh just play safe here and hope he misses; that shot is too hard don't take it, etc. but as I was standing there, I said,"F--K it" got down and ran out. No over-thinking, just point and shoot.

EDIT: Artie, your wisdom is like the perfect woman, it's almost impossible to find.

I never meet a perfect woman yet. And they yhink way different then men. Thats why they dont play banks and one pocket.

Its too masculent.