Photos from US Open One Pocket

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Nice set up with about 12 tables in a partitioned off area with its own seating, so it feels intimate even though this is a huge place. From the "sky boxes" you can see most of the tournament room (a few more tables off screen to the left) and in the distance a glimpse of the hundreds of bar tables for the amateur league event.

Vie from the sky box:

Ken Schuman and Bill Stock (?) view from the tournament room desk:

More photos in this gallery:
http://www.poolinaction.com/2011Tournaments-1/2011-US-Open-One-Pocket/17033361_5Vjb8V

And of course, more yet to come...

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
great pics Steve.. I love what the camera does.

Did you get any pics of John Doherty? J.D. ?

Thanks for the updates

and I'm jealous as hell too.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Great pictures, Steve! Nice group photo of the 1p.o group, minus you taking the pic.

Could that be a glass of milk sitting in front of Dick!? Has SJD changed his ways? Maybe it was Lou's.;)

Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
So that was SJD on the left. I expected him to look old and decrepit the way he descibed himself but on the contrary he looks great. AS does that whole group. Major props to Lou on the showcase table performance. He plays all games extremely well and is one of the most prolific writers on the internet. Do not get in a fued wi him. If you do you are toast. Im from rec sport billiards so I know. The photos are fantastic, as well as the stream. Joey A is now on against paprika so I must cut this short to watch

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'll have some more uploaded later -- I slept in this morning and the matches start early...

"Champagne" Ed Kelly was in the house last night. Some of you may have caught him in the commentary booth on the live stream for the Cotton Leblanc/Danny Di Liberto match.

a couple of pic's:

...and with Danny Di Liberto's daughter Angela

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Patrick said:
Booth in the booth:
That is tongue-twister for you...

Samm Diepp had trouble with that in the introduction earlier, lol.

It was fun --but you have to respect the guys that are good at the commentary match after match after match, because I can see how easy it would be to start being redundant. It helps that commentators like Danny, Billy, Grady, etc, have so many stories they get to fill in with. It was also hard not to be biased towards John, what with the sponsorship and all.

I'd do it again though...

lfigueroa

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Great pictures, Steve! Nice group photo of the 1p.o group, minus you taking the pic.

Could that be a glass of milk sitting in front of Dick!? Has SJD changed his ways? Maybe it was Lou's.;)

Doc

That was, most definetly, not my glass of milk.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Jimmy B said:
So that was SJD on the left. I expected him to look old and decrepit the way he descibed himself but on the contrary he looks great. AS does that whole group. Major props to Lou on the showcase table performance. He plays all games extremely well and is one of the most prolific writers on the internet. Do not get in a fued wi him. If you do you are toast. Im from rec sport billiards so I know. The photos are fantastic, as well as the stream. Joey A is now on against paprika so I must cut this short to watch

Thanks, Jimmy. My "performance" on the TV table could have gone either way, but somehow, I kept it together. Later that night I ran into Double JJ, who was one of the commentators (along with Watchez), and he said, "Nice shooting, Lou. You only flinched twice." And I laughed and said, "I know exactly the shots your talking about, Jeremy. I think it was the second game and I missed two makeable shots back-to-back. After the second one I realized I was gripping my cue too tight and I just eased up on that and everything was OK."

More on all that later. It's Sunday morning. I am out of the tournament. I've been in Vegas four nights and I am burnt up to a crisp :)

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Very nice pics Steve. I'm envious of you and others who know how to take nice pictures and make it look easy.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I've worked hard to improve my results over the last few years -- plus it is a lot of constant focus on the subjects at an event like this, so you catch as many good shots as you can as they happen. Each potential nice pic is only "there" for a second or so, so you have to be fully ready to take advantage when they appear. I did miss one, because I made the mistake at 2 AM when Efren's match with Corey wrapped up. It ended in spectacular fashion and I made the mistake of "watching the game" instead of "watching for the photo op", and I missed Efren's fist pump, which would have been a much better photo than his more subdued celebration at the end of the actual finals -- just the nature of the way the games ended. However, all the other photographers had gone to bed earlier -- at least I was still there :D

PS the best way to view these photos in my opinion, is to go to the gallery and then in the upper right hand corner above the selected photo, there is a link for "slideshow". If you click that, it goes to a very nice nearly full screen slide show for viewing.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
I did miss one, because I made the mistake at 2 AM when Efren's match with Corey wrapped up. It ended in spectacular fashion and I made the mistake of "watching the game" instead of "watching for the photo op", and I missed Efren's fist pump, which would have been a much better photo than his more subdued celebration at the end of the actual finals
ahhh.. you must mean this one. I love Efren's emotional outbursts:D They're so ........ energetic:D

He's just not the going around high fiving, whooping it up, running around, jumping on tables, screaming type of guy. So when he does give that weak fist pump, you know he's pretty excited.

A more cool emotion I saw, which you did get.. is him putting his hand on his chest and tapping back and forth. Not sure if that was like a "my heart is beating from the moment" or what.
efrenpump.jpg

lfigueroa

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Nice set up with about 12 tables in a partitioned off area with its own seating, so it feels intimate even though this is a huge place. From the "sky boxes" you can see most of the tournament room (a few more tables off screen to the left) and in the distance a glimpse of the hundreds of bar tables for the amateur league event.

Vie from the sky box:

Ken Schuman and Bill Stock (?) view from the tournament room desk:

More photos in this gallery:
http://www.poolinaction.com/2011Tournaments-1/2011-US-Open-One-Pocket/17033361_5Vjb8V

And of course, more yet to come...

Steve

I see that you can buy prints -- can I just buy jpegs from you?

Lou Figueroa

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Steve, I think there is a market for your photos, if you can keep the cost of printing them down you should offer them all up for sale. I think you take great photos. There are a couple I would like myself. :)