Buddy Hall vs. Gary Spaeth 2000 DCC: Exhibition Banks

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Jersey Red and Danny Jones were playing a game of one pocket to see who got to pick the third team in a three team baseball parlay.
Danny asked "Sharking ?"
Red replied "Light sharking only "
Rod.:p :D
PS, Red lost !
Danny bet against Marichal ( REDS ALL TIME FAVORITE PITCHER )
PPS, Marichal won. :)
Light sharking only, that's too strong Rod:D .

RBL

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Let me elucidate...

Let me elucidate...

cuesmith said:
[/I]

Sherm, I remember exactly most of what happened in that tourn.
I certainly cannot dispute your claim of me sharking. I dont remember doing anything as overt as you say, but that type of gamesmanship was certainly not out of my wheelhouse.
Did you remember that I beat Donnie Anderson 23 to 4 to get into the finals with Gary? Donnie had beaten me the first match I played and I came up all the way thru the losers bracket.
The score was 21 all and Gary was on the back rail and he swung at a straight back. He missed and the cue ball somehow wedged in between two balls and I had to shoot the cue ball out of there and he ran 2 and out. One of the shots was a long cross corner. I dont remember if that was the game ball or not. I have been telling this story this way for 20 years and this is the first objection. I dont know who the hell else to ask about that. Most of the guys that were there are now dead.

And yes, he did get lucky to put me in that death trap. He certainly wasnt trying to freeze me between two balls from 7 ft away. You must think I am trying to take something away from Gary. You are wrong. Gary played better than me then, but I was in a real zone that day, as was he, and neither one of us was going to miss anything. What upset me was that I didnt get a chance to win from that spot. I knew whomever got the first shot was going to take it down.

Beard

Freddy, First off let me explain something, I like you. I like your stories, your books & DVD's and most of all I like when you talk at the HOF Banquet at the Derby each year. I also really like your commentaries. You have a very amusing way of telling

stories and one-liners that make listening to you a lot of fun. I feel if we lived close and frequented the same poolrooms we'd probably be good friends. But I gotta stick up for my old road partner when I think he's taking the worse of a situation. I'm not

stalking you or trying to knock you, just sticking up for the guy who was besides being my road partner, he was my best friend. When he found out he had leukemia, it was me he came to and we both cried. I can still remember him saying "I'm too young

to die" and me telling him" don't worry about it, you've been in worse traps in the pool room and got away from it", but I was wrong. In the years after that tournament Gary and I went through a lot together and I can honestly say I've never had a better

friend. He matured a lot after that tournament and as I said in an earlier post his game matured a lot also. He was getting better all the time and playing smarter all the time. His cueball control was phenomenal, maybe even better than his banking ability.

That's why I think you could be wrong about that "death trap" as you put it. He put Shannon Daulton in a couple of those when he beat him 7-1 in the 9-ball at the Derby, 1999, his last year there. He had a winning record playing Buddy hall in both banks

and 9-ball tournaments. Bugs quit trying to play him banks and made a one pocket game with him spotting him a ball but never won at it even though he tried 3 different times. Bugs learned a lot of his one pocket game from Joey and Gary learned more

from Bugs than he did from Joey. I do remember you bar-b-cueing Donnie at that tournament. I didn't remember the score but I'll take your word for it. Frankly we expected it to be Gary and Donnie in the finals but you stopped that. The night before Gary

played Piggy and robbed him, giving him 8-7 and winning 9 straight games. Piggy told his stake horse when he pulled up "He can't beat me at this game, he's spell banking" His stake horse said " you know what, I believe you, problem is we don't know how

long this spell is going to last"! Didn't mean to get you stirred up Freddy, just wanted to stick up for my buddy![/QUOTE]

As you are inclined to stick up for your buddy Gary, I am forced to stick up for the Chicago side of things and of course, myself. Firstly, why should Gary or anybody else be immune from me putting them in death traps? I did that all my career to every human. That particular death trap was that I opened the balls on the foot rail, put Gary on the back gum where he had no avenue to return the cue ball to the back rail and so was forced to shoot. It was just a lucky break that the cue ball wound up dead safe.
Secondly, the year was 1991, eight years before he played Shannon at DCC. Eight years for him to learn the game a little better. In 1991 his game was certainly not complete. He was mostly a shooter, and had no chance trying to move with me.
Thirdly, no one is trying to demean or defame Gary. I really liked the kid. He was always very respectful to me, since I knew him from when he was a little kid hanging with his dad. He also never hustled me to play. I thought that was very gracious of him, since I couldnt beat him at that time and if he tried heating me up, ego would have forced me to play. That year was 1991 wasnt it? For sure?

Beard
Keep in mind, all of us old timers speak selectively. You mentioned Piggy getting trimmed at the Cafe, and Bugs quit trying to play him banks, but you did neglect to mention that Bugs and Gary played after that tourn. I promise not to bring up Howard the Coward also.:)

cuesmith

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Freddy, First off let me explain something, I like you. I like your stories, your books & DVD's and most of all I like when you talk at the HOF Banquet at the Derby each year. I also really like your commentaries. You have a very amusing way of telling

stories and one-liners that make listening to you a lot of fun. I feel if we lived close and frequented the same poolrooms we'd probably be good friends. But I gotta stick up for my old road partner when I think he's taking the worse of a situation. I'm not

stalking you or trying to knock you, just sticking up for the guy who was besides being my road partner, he was my best friend. When he found out he had leukemia, it was me he came to and we both cried. I can still remember him saying "I'm too young

to die" and me telling him" don't worry about it, you've been in worse traps in the pool room and got away from it", but I was wrong. In the years after that tournament Gary and I went through a lot together and I can honestly say I've never had a better

friend. He matured a lot after that tournament and as I said in an earlier post his game matured a lot also. He was getting better all the time and playing smarter all the time. His cueball control was phenomenal, maybe even better than his banking ability.

That's why I think you could be wrong about that "death trap" as you put it. He put Shannon Daulton in a couple of those when he beat him 7-1 in the 9-ball at the Derby, 1999, his last year there. He had a winning record playing Buddy hall in both banks

and 9-ball tournaments. Bugs quit trying to play him banks and made a one pocket game with him spotting him a ball but never won at it even though he tried 3 different times. Bugs learned a lot of his one pocket game from Joey and Gary learned more

from Bugs than he did from Joey. I do remember you bar-b-cueing Donnie at that tournament. I didn't remember the score but I'll take your word for it. Frankly we expected it to be Gary and Donnie in the finals but you stopped that. The night before Gary

played Piggy and robbed him, giving him 8-7 and winning 9 straight games. Piggy told his stake horse when he pulled up "He can't beat me at this game, he's spell banking" His stake horse said " you know what, I believe you, problem is we don't know how

long this spell is going to last"! Didn't mean to get you stirred up Freddy, just wanted to stick up for my buddy!

As you are inclined to stick up for your buddy Gary, I am forced to stick up for the Chicago side of things and of course, myself. Firstly, why should Gary or anybody else be immune from me putting them in death traps? I did that all my career to every human. That particular death trap was that I opened the balls on the foot rail, put Gary on the back gum where he had no avenue to return the cue ball to the back rail and so was forced to shoot. It was just a lucky break that the cue ball wound up dead safe.
Secondly, the year was 1991, eight years before he played Shannon at DCC. Eight years for him to learn the game a little better. In 1991 his game was certainly not complete. He was mostly a shooter, and had no chance trying to move with me.
Thirdly, no one is trying to demean or defame Gary. I really liked the kid. He was always very respectful to me, since I knew him from when he was a little kid hanging with his dad. He also never hustled me to play. I thought that was very gracious of him, since I couldnt beat him at that time and if he tried heating me up, ego would have forced me to play. That year was 1991 wasnt it? For sure?

Beard
Keep in mind, all of us old timers speak selectively. You mentioned Piggy getting trimmed at the Cafe, and Bugs quit trying to play him banks, but you did neglect to mention that Bugs and Gary played after that tourn. I promise not to bring up Howard the Coward also.:)[/QUOTE]

OK, when you're right, you're right. But, it wasn't 1991, it was more like 1988 or 89. I know this for sure because I closed my Oakley poolroom in Sept 1989 and started work on my new poolroom, Beechmont Billiards in Sept 1989 and I know it was when I

still had Oakley open because I couldn't get away once I started working on the new room. And yes, Gary did play Bugs after that tournament. I remember that like it was yesterday. Bugs came into the room with his entourage just before the tournament

was finished up. You could have heard a pin drop in the room when he walked in. It was one of those "pregnant pauses" you hear about. Everyone in the room I think knew that before long Gary and Bugs would be in action even before a word was spoken

about them matching up. Greg Sullivan came up to me and said if Gary and Bugs play, Can I have a piece of the action. I was reluctant, but because as usual Gary had already locked up all of his winnings and would not risk any of his money. We'd left

town on short money but with the meager tournament winnings and my end of what we'd won from Piggy the night before I only had about a Grand left over and above what I needed to pay the motel bill and travel home. So Greg kicked up another Grand

and they agreed to a race to 4 for a Grand. Gary won the first set easily 4-1 and only the one that Bugs won was even close. Bugs' stakehorse opened up one of those satchels like the old country doctors used to carry which was FULL of money and told

Bugs not to worry about it that they may be able to out bank you now but they can't out-bet you. He told Bugs to make us double the bet! I said no immediately knowing that if we raised it then we only had one barrel. Greg said "are you kidding, did you

see all the money he had. We can turn a toothpick into a forest! I against tried to explain that we should play another one for a thousand. That way win or lose we could still play! We could jack it if we won the next set because we'd at least have 2

barrels and if we lost we'd keep it at a grand because we'd just have the one barrel left! Greg was livid and insisted that we take a shot at that big bankroll. I finally gave in and let him play the next set for 2 grand. That one came down to hill-hill and to

the last ball on the table! They played end rail to end rail safeties back and forth for about 4 innings each, both of them playing perfect safeties, freezing whitey on the end rail each shot. (Which is one reason why I say that Gary's safety game was

better than you gave him credit for, even back then). Finally Bugs took a chance and shot a straight back with the cueball frozen on the Hudson and the 15 ball just about a half inch off the other end rail to win the set. Bugs ended up winning a grand

but was actually behind in games and balls total for the two sets they played and as I tried to warn Greg we were out of business. We couldn't ask them to lower the bet, you know the ridicule that would have brought on and they would have never gone

for it.

And yes Howard the Coward caught us arriving at Kalamazoo for the US Open One Pocket Tournament one year. He immediately asked Gary to play $200 full rack banks. He played like Eddie Taylor for 4 games and drilled Gary taking most of the money I

had on me for the tournament. After 4 games I had to pull Gary up. I'll bet that Howard never played a better 4 game stretch in his life! He made everything he shot at! I can still remember him in those eyeglasses with the pimped out gold adorned frames

just drilling balls straight back! He played great that day. We made a few small scores and when the tournament was about over Gary asked him to play some more. He refused and every time Gary saw him after that he continued to refuse to play. But for

four games he played lights out!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sherm, Sherm

Sherm, Sherm

cuesmith said:
[/I]

Beard
Keep in mind, all of us old timers speak selectively. You mentioned Piggy getting trimmed at the Cafe, and Bugs quit trying to play him banks, but you did neglect to mention that Bugs and Gary played after that tourn. I promise not to bring up Howard the Coward also.:)

OK, when you're right, you're right. But, it wasn't 1991, it was more like 1988 or 89. I know this for sure because I closed my Oakley poolroom in Sept 1989 and started work on my new poolroom, Beechmont Billiards in Sept 1989 and I know it was when I

still had Oakley open because I couldn't get away once I started working on the new room. And yes, Gary did play Bugs after that tournament. I remember that like it was yesterday. Bugs came into the room with his entourage just before the tournament

was finished up. You could have heard a pin drop in the room when he walked in. It was one of those "pregnant pauses" you hear about. Everyone in the room I think knew that before long Gary and Bugs would be in action even before a word was spoken

about them matching up. Greg Sullivan came up to me and said if Gary and Bugs play, Can I have a piece of the action. I was reluctant, but because as usual Gary had already locked up all of his winnings and would not risk any of his money. We'd left

town on short money but with the meager tournament winnings and my end of what we'd won from Piggy the night before I only had about a Grand left over and above what I needed to pay the motel bill and travel home. So Greg kicked up another Grand

and they agreed to a race to 4 for a Grand. Gary won the first set easily 4-1 and only the one that Bugs won was even close. Bugs' stakehorse opened up one of those satchels like the old country doctors used to carry which was FULL of money and told

Bugs not to worry about it that they may be able to out bank you now but they can't out-bet you. He told Bugs to make us double the bet! I said no immediately knowing that if we raised it then we only had one barrel. Greg said "are you kidding, did you

see all the money he had. We can turn a toothpick into a forest! I against tried to explain that we should play another one for a thousand. That way win or lose we could still play! We could jack it if we won the next set because we'd at least have 2

barrels and if we lost we'd keep it at a grand because we'd just have the one barrel left! Greg was livid and insisted that we take a shot at that big bankroll. I finally gave in and let him play the next set for 2 grand. That one came down to hill-hill and to

the last ball on the table! They played end rail to end rail safeties back and forth for about 4 innings each, both of them playing perfect safeties, freezing whitey on the end rail each shot. (Which is one reason why I say that Gary's safety game was

better than you gave him credit for, even back then). Finally Bugs took a chance and shot a straight back with the cueball frozen on the Hudson and the 15 ball just about a half inch off the other end rail to win the set. Bugs ended up winning a grand

but was actually behind in games and balls total for the two sets they played and as I tried to warn Greg we were out of business. We couldn't ask them to lower the bet, you know the ridicule that would have brought on and they would have never gone

for it.

And yes Howard the Coward caught us arriving at Kalamazoo for the US Open One Pocket Tournament one year. He immediately asked Gary to play $200 full rack banks. He played like Eddie Taylor for 4 games and drilled Gary taking most of the money I

had on me for the tournament. After 4 games I had to pull Gary up. I'll bet that Howard never played a better 4 game stretch in his life! He made everything he shot at! I can still remember him in those eyeglasses with the pimped out gold adorned frames

just drilling balls straight back! He played great that day. We made a few small scores and when the tournament was about over Gary asked him to play some more. He refused and every time Gary saw him after that he continued to refuse to play. But for four games he played lights out![/QUOTE]

Got off the phone with Greg Sullivan who has a different recollection of the Bugs/Gary match. He was one of the bankers of the game, correct? Bugs won the second set easily. Thats what I remember and thats what Greg remembers. Also, Bugs never turned down a game even, from anybody in his whole life. Even when diabetes was working him over and his skills were diminishing.
Let us not forget, first off Bugs never played without a backer. So he never cared whose money he fried up. He played Artie every time he seen him, even tho his batting average there was about 10%. Also Howard the Coward Meachum never ducked anybody unless he was broke. He went to Ky to Buddy Hall's home pool room to play him with his own money --and won.

So you see Sherm, you are guilty of the same biased viewpoint as I am. I celebrate me and my homeboys, as you celebrate your guy Gary. And we both insert provisos for our losses and misadventures, and paint the events in our favor.
Finally, Gary was a terrific player. Didnt I bang the drum for him to get into the Hall of Fame?
Lets just call it even. The only winner in these debates are the negative evidence accumulators. Do we really want to feed them?

Beard

Oh yeah, I have an old video of me and Truman playing in that tournament. I am going to post it up on YouTube. The date on the video credits was 1986. Anybody that wants to see how to shut down a monster shooter should watch that match.

Attachments

• Howard the Coward Meechum  & Bugs Rucker (536 x 600).jpg
    Howard the Coward Meechum & Bugs Rucker (536 x 600).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 4 and Gary needs two balls. What would you do?

View attachment 2736

I would shoot the 2 straight back then the 1 straight back In the other corner.I think like Gary.haha Must be cause I played alot with him.
John B. Just messin around.

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
Only thing I could find Bugs playing on was Gold Crowns hard to compare playing on them with the Diamonds we play on today. Defiantly two different worlds there. The Crowns accept balls way easier than Diamonds. Hell even I make balls on them regularly.

Watched Gary drill him in a 1992 video on what looked to be a Gold Crown.

Fred, One question, "When does Red shoes have another race to 23 bank tournament?"

For the record I'd cross the 2 get back up the table for the strait back on the 14. Taking a chance on position on the 14 by crossing the 2 you sell out anyway if you miss the long rail on the 2. One is bad as the other, except Gary made the 2. Other wise Buddy shoots the 14 and wins.

I played Buddy Hall in 2006 or 07 at The Side Pocket in Paducah on his choice of tables. Which was a Gold Crown, he came out 3 games ahead of me that afternoon. The following year at the DCC we met in a match and went to the hill and he won on the last ball. I respect him and his game. But he ask me to come to the DCC that year.

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
Fred,

Watch this video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYai7DYaEos&feature=related[/ame]

Gary has the same shot(at 4:15) in this game( in the above video) as the shot posted one in this thread and look what he does.:)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will have the next Bank Tournament (23) on Saturday October 1st, 2011. I will be posting details. It will be the standard $50 entry fee, $500 added event.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
Well, Gary had some squeeze in him after all.

Beard
first
warren thank you for posting that link
we have nearly identical layouts with 2 different shot selections from the same player
i think what that tells me is this
in all our what would you do threads we really dont know how the shooter is FEELING ie their confidence level based on how the equipment is playing,
their success rate so far in the match,
how well their opponent is playing
all play a role in their shot selection

billy I. in his thread talked about high percentage shooting (or playing the percentages)
on one day a shot is a hanger on another day it is not

so one day you are a "risk taker" and one day you are a "squeezer"

the winners can assess themselves on a given day and play accordingly

some like rafael martinez from the small amout of games i watched him play seem to want to wow the crowd and obviously lose more often since he doesnt always play the percentages

jmho

your comments are welcomed:)

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
I enjoy people who appreciate a player who goes for the hard ones and makes them. Playing safe is good in many situations but some people play too much safe, I like making balls.;)

As for the link I posted, I just happened to see the shot in the video and thought it appropriate to share.

Again I will say "Playing Bank on a Diamond is a different world than playing on a Gold Crown. "Great players from years ago who played on Gold Crowns, might not be as dominate today playing on a Diamond." IMO Not trying to start an argument and no disrespect to any player or players.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Diamond vs Gold Crown

Diamond vs Gold Crown

Warren said:
I enjoy people who appreciate a player who goes for the hard ones and makes them. Playing safe is good in many situations but some people play too much safe, I like making balls.;)

As for the link I posted, I just happened to see the shot in the video and thought it appropriate to share.

Again I will say "Playing Bank on a Diamond is a different world than playing on a Gold Crown. "Great players from years ago who played on Gold Crowns, might not be as dominate today playing on a Diamond." IMO Not trying to start an argument and no disrespect to any player or players.

Warren, I truly believe that --- once you know how -- banking on a Diamond is much easier than banking on a Crown. I am going to feature this difference in either, maybe both, my next book or my next DVD.

Beard
Hint: it has to do with "curl" off of the cushions