Adjusting spots, would like advice (Long post)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
petie said:
Thanks, Vape. I really never intended to become the grammer corrector for the forum and I have noticed a lot of lapses in the posts not the least of which are some of my own. It's always tricky if you don't use spell check.

The thing with Billy's use of that one saying started for me long ago before I knew about this forum. I have a few CDs where he is commentating and I noticed it on several of them. I thought to myself that he would appreciate knowing the proper saying if he only knew about it due to the fact that he is so 'out there' in the public eye, so to speek. I've wanted to tell him for a long time--really as a friend not as the commissar of English. I could never come up with a way to tell him that sounded like it wasn't offensive coming from a relative stranger. Well, last Saturday I just did it anyway. I believe that as time goes on, he'll get over the sting to his ego and realize that this can only help him. This is all I ever intended to do.

Petie, you didn't hurt my ego, I know that I make many mistakes in my grammer. There are many people, and people that post here that could teach me better grammer. My grammer was horrible 20 years ago, but I made a conscience effort to improve it. I never took a class even though classes would of served me better than the long road of self learning. But yes I am conscience of how I speak and do appreciate people that help me with my speaking and writing.

Knowing how to speak and write will not only enable you to be a better communicator, but it also aids you in your ability to understand what other people are saying.

I wish that in my younger years I would have educated myself better than I did, possibly today I could of been doing sometming more productive with my life. But as we all know we can't go back and do it all over again, if I could I may have done it the same way,knowing how stubborn I am.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
petie said:
Thanks, Vape. I really never intended to become the grammer corrector for the forum and I have noticed a lot of lapses in the posts not the least of which are some of my own. It's always tricky if you don't use spell check.

The thing with Billy's use of that one saying started for me long ago before I knew about this forum. I have a few CDs where he is commentating and I noticed it on several of them. I thought to myself that he would appreciate knowing the proper saying if he only knew about it due to the fact that he is so 'out there' in the public eye, so to speek. I've wanted to tell him for a long time--really as a friend not as the commissar of English. I could never come up with a way to tell him that sounded like it wasn't offensive coming from a relative stranger. Well, last Saturday I just did it anyway. I believe that as time goes on, he'll get over the sting to his ego and realize that this can only help him. This is all I ever intended to do.

Petie, you didn't hurt my ego, I know that I make many mistakes in my grammer. There are many people, and people that post here that could teach me better grammer. My grammer was horrible 20 years ago, but I made a conscience effort to improve it. I never took a class even though classes would of served me better than the long road of self learning. But yes I am conscience of how I speak and do appreciate people that help me with my speaking and writing.

Knowing how to speak and write will not only enable you to be a better communicator, but it also aids you in your ability to understand what other people are saying.

I wish that in my younger years I would have educated myself better than I did, possibly today I could of been doing sometming more productive with my life. But as we all know we can't go back and do it all over again, if I could I may have done it the same way,knowing how stubborn I am.

Billy I.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Getting Back To The Topic

Getting Back To The Topic

In my opinion, for adjusting spots.

The weaker a player is, the real deal is two things;

When a shot is available for the weaker player, he MAY run a ball or two, but he will not "punish" like a stronger player will. A weaker player will hardly ever go 8 and out, on a opportunity.

Secondly, as John Brumbeck said in another post, a weaker player will often shoot a shot that when and if he misses it could cost the game. A better player will better determine the "risk vs reward".

So IMO, the best way to adjust and to play is lowering the number the weaker player needs (big difference) verses the number the better player needs (little difference).
If a little adjustment is needed then require more balls from the stronger player.

Ken

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ken_4fun said:
In my opinion, for adjusting spots.

When a shot is available for the weaker player, he MAY run a ball or two, but he will not "punish" like a stronger player will. A weaker player will hardly ever go 8 and out, on a opportunity.

Secondly, as John Brumbeck said in another post, a weaker player will often shoot a shot that when and if he misses it could cost the game. A better player will better determine the "risk vs reward".

So IMO, the best way to adjust and to play is lowering the number the weaker player needs (big difference) verses the number the better player needs (little difference).
If a little adjustment is needed then require more balls from the stronger player.

Ken

The ratio (generally speaking) is around 2 balls up for the better player.
until a certain point.
IE From 8/5 up to 10/6 to 13/7.
When the weaker player is winning, a ball up for each.
IE From 8/5 to 9/6 to 11/7
Rod.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
:D :)
petie said:

You misspelled the word speak. There's no such word as speek, although the word speech is spelled wi two e's. You know Artie would appreciate you making corrections to his posts and such. Maybe you should concentrate on him for awhile. Uh maybe not. I'm only kidding. I spell words incorrectly in almost every one of my posts and use incorrect phrases and prepositions constantly. Sometimes I am aware of it but don't take the time or trouble to fool with it. Overall I always thought that Bill had grammar and diction that was more than up to par. I know for sure you had good intentions though. Certain people like AB are too close to perfection for other certain people to mess with. Besides he will just tell you to drink down a bottle of VO and take a long walk off of a short pier, and after you swim back to shore, go get a check-up from the neck up, because his grandad got rich in the mining business-Minding his own F_cking business!! And if certain legends tell me to do something or criticize me I will take it and not fire back. That would be like me at bat hitting against Nolan Ryan, and if he wanted to hit me with the ball I would not charge the mound. Why do that? Why would I go and get my ass beat on top of everything else. I would take my base and be happy that I was on first

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
wincardona said:

Billy I.

Billy,

If you had recieved a better education, you probably wouldn't play pool as well as you do. You know the saying about a mis-spent youth.

I have always admired people who could think well on their feet when they were under pressure. Nowhere does this become more useful than in gambling. I'm talking here as a rail bird compared to you. You have made a liveing with your wits for decades, I assume. I first heard of 9-Ball Billy jeeze, I don't know, was it the '70s? Suffice it to say you were a legend a very long time ago and you survive today as an icon of our sport. I've admired you for years. It is clear that you have done very well for yourself. I really don't feel that I'm in your league by any standard-- pool or otherwise.

Pete

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
androd said:
until a certain point.
Rod.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with the above. I was trying to say that but this makes it clear(er)

Ken

u12armresl

Verified Member
Thank you Ken for staying on topic and offering helpful knowledge. Artie started to derail this thread and what started out as something which I think could help lots of people turned into a grammar contest and something other than the intended post.

Wish Billy would specifically weigh in on something which could be offered up as far as a game. Some people just wont go for 12-6 even though that's the fair game, but may go for 12-8 and a pick or something similiar.

QUOTE=Ken_4fun]In my opinion, for adjusting spots.

Ken[/QUOTE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
u12armresl said:
Thank you Ken for staying on topic and offering helpful knowledge. Artie started to derail this thread and what started out as something which I think could help lots of people turned into a grammar contest and something other than the intended post.

Wish Billy would specifically weigh in on something which could be offered up as far as a game. Some people just wont go for 12-6 even though that's the fair game, but may go for 12-8 and a pick or something similiar.

QUOTE=Ken_4fun]In my opinion, for adjusting spots.

Ken
[/QUOTE]

I havant replied much on this tread because it is very complex. And no easy answers or saloutions.

THE spots change with every person. Forget about two people playing even and playing a good player the same game. It is not true.

And will not come out the samr because off the different ways they play. Even though playing each other may be fair.

PLaying a good player the same game is not fair.

THier is a lot too gambling. Everything is not cut and dry. THier are different things and factors that change the game.

Im not goig too go into it. We will keep it plain and simple. And like I said the Rules arev a big problem in a handy cap game. THat must change.

ITs completly wrong too use the sane rules in a handiecap session or game.

AS in a tournemets were everyone is playing 8 to eight. THey are not fair and I no it because I have been playing by these rules and taking advantage off them my whole life.

If you are getting 4 to one on a real hard shot . Howe can you bet a player even money. You have no chance off willing.

And to play one ball for one scratch is completlly redicoulous. Any time you are in a complete trap and you take scratch for scratch with a great player.

Anydody in thier wright mind knowes its not fair. So you take two scratches and instead of needing one ball apeace. You both need 3 balls apeace.

With one ball you might be 3 to 0ne dog too win the game. With 3 balls apeace you might be 20 to one dog needing 3 balls apeace.

the rules make the game unfair too the weecker player. A scratch playing a player 18 to 4 cannot be a ball for a ball. And is not added into the handy cap that is commplete bull shot.

And the reason nobody knowes befrore the game os played if the weaecker player will scratch or not.

Thats why it is bs when they say its in the handycap.

WE will go one step further if its in the hansycap. Howe meny balls is the weeker player getting credit for it??

Howe meny balls. Not knoweing if he will scratchn0 times or 4 times.

ANd her is the bottom line if you new the weeker player was going to scratch 3 times.

You could spot him 25 too 4. Because you are playing him 25 to 7 and he would not play if you told him that you are going too play him 18 to 7.

And if he doest scratch you cant gieve him 25 tto 4. But if he scratches 3 times. You would love too play him 25 too 7.

And we dont no ahead off time if he will scratch or not or howe ment times if any.

THatswhy the rules have too be changed.as the game goes on. And by howe meny times he sctatches.

And the sctayches are not figured in the handycap. Because nodody knowes if thier will be any sctatches or not. But they have too be fair. And its completly unfair in a handycap match.

Dont the weeker players ever ask them selves. If they are getting 18 to4. Why are they paying the same price for a scratch then the good player.

And if thier is one ball on the table and the great player is 4 to 1 the favorite too win the game.

Then howe much more favorite is he iff they both need 2 or 3 balls apeace.

THe odds change drastickly.

And No game is made with the scratches.

ITs understood that the rules are fair for and equal too both players.

Witch they are if you are playing even 8 to 8. And All this nonsens that its in the spot is not true.

And is not talket about or discuiset because its a even game. But 18 too 4 is not a even game.

And the rules need too change in a handycap game and they are not discoust. Or talket about because people take it for granted that all the rules are equale and fair.

THey are but not in a handy cap game. THe rules are for even games.

NOt handycap games.

WEre does it say that the rules are fair to handycap games? THe mprtale off the story.

Is the rules were never made for a handycap game.

IT thier are rules that were made for big handycap games. You showe me.

Nobody wants too her the truth. And people do whatever suites them the best.

And that is the truth. And if someone wants too debate this statement. THen thier not a honest person.

And I am just stating the real truth.. I dont have anything against anybody wanting the best off it. Including me.

But I will showe you the truth and bring it out. And I have played a lot off games and gambling with the best off it. And I am not a sait.

I will do what I have too do to win. Does it make it wright no. But thats what I will still do too win.

Ans if we can get away with it why not. But that still doesnt stop me from bringing out the truth.

WE win because we have the best off it. And having the worst off it you will not win.

And if you think taking the worst off it and playing the greatest. THats fine with me.

But what are you trying too prove too youself playing someone. Knoweing you have the worst off it.

Do you think that showes courage and heart. I think it showes the opposite and we all no what that is.

So think and belive what you want. And leep doing the same things the same way. You have that wright and nobody else has.

Because its youre life.

Hope its a enjoyable one.

u12armresl

Verified Member
What am I trying to do?

Well the simple answer would be to play people. The longer answer is that there will always be levels of players and when you have played everyone at your speed, you either start giving up weight to lesser players, or you take weight from better players (and take a big chance at learning something)

I choose the later.

Not sure how you play, but wouldn't it be foolish to try to play someone better than I am without making the game more fair? It's not about any kind of heart, I want a chance to win. If I have that chance and blow it, then it's on me and I can deal with that. If I never have any chance to win because the guy is a consistent 8 and out ball runner, then it's on me, but in a different way.

I havant replied much on this tread because it is very complex. And no easy answers or saloutions.

THE spots change with every person. Forget about two people playing even and playing a good player the same game. It is not true.

And will not come out the samr because off the different ways they play. Even though playing each other may be fair.

THier is a lot too gambling. Everything is not cut and dry. THier are different things and factors that change the game.

Im not goig too go into it. We will keep it plain and simple. And like I said the Rules arev a big problem in a handy cap game. THat must change.

AS in a tournemets were everyone is playing 8 to eight. THey are not fair and I no it because I have been playing by these rules and taking advantage off them my whole life.

If you are getting 4 to one on a real hard shot . Howe can you bet a player even money. You have no chance off willing.

And to play one ball for one scratch is completlly redicoulous. Any time you are in a complete trap and you take scratch for scratch with a great player.

Anydody in thier wright mind knowes its not fair. So you take two scratches and instead of needing one ball apeace. You both need 3 balls apeace.

With one ball you might be 3 to 0ne dog too win the game. With 3 balls apeace you might be 20 to one dog needing 3 balls apeace.

the rules make the game unfair too the weecker player. A scratch playing a player 18 to 4 cannot be a ball for a ball. And is not added into the handy cap that is commplete bull shot.

And the reason nobody knowes befrore the game os played if the weaecker player will scratch or not.

WE will go one step further if its in the hansycap. Howe meny balls is the weeker player getting credit for it??

ANd her is the bottom line if you new the weeker player was going to scratch 3 times.

You could spot him 25 too 4. Because you are playing him 25 to 7 and he would not play if you told him that you are going too play him 18 to 7.

And if he doest scratch you cant gieve him 25 tto 4. But if he scratches 3 times. You would love too play him 25 too 7.

And we dont no ahead off time if he will scratch or not or howe ment times if any.

THatswhy the rules have too be changed.as the game goes on. And by howe meny times he sctatches.

And the sctayches are not figured in the handycap. Because nodody knowes if thier will be any sctatches or not. But they have too be fair. And its completly unfair in a handycap match.

Dont the weeker players ever ask them selves. If they are getting 18 to4. Why are they paying the same price for a scratch then the good player.

And if thier is one ball on the table and the great player is 4 to 1 the favorite too win the game.

Witch they are if you are playing even 8 to 8. And All this nonsens that its in the spot is not true.

And is not talket about or discuiset because its a even game. But 18 too 4 is not a even game.

And the rules need too change in a handycap game and they are not discoust. Or talket about because people take it for granted that all the rules are equale and fair.

NOt handycap games.

WEre does it say that the rules are fair to handycap games? THe mprtale off the story.

And that is the truth. And if someone wants too debate this statement. THen thier not a honest person.

And I am just stating the real truth.. I dont have anything against anybody wanting the best off it. Including me.

But I will showe you the truth and bring it out. And I have played a lot off games and gambling with the best off it. And I am not a sait.

I will do what I have too do to win. Does it make it wright no. But thats what I will still do too win.

Ans if we can get away with it why not. But that still doesnt stop me from bringing out the truth.

WE win because we have the best off it. And having the worst off it you will not win.

And if you think taking the worst off it and playing the greatest. THats fine with me.

But what are you trying too prove too youself playing someone. Knoweing you have the worst off it.

Do you think that showes courage and heart. I think it showes the opposite and we all no what that is.

So think and belive what you want. And leep doing the same things the same way. You have that wright and nobody else has.

Because its youre life.

Hope its a enjoyable one.[/QUOTE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
u12armresl said:
What am I trying to do?

Well the simple answer would be to play people. The longer answer is that there will always be levels of players and when you have played everyone at your speed, you either start giving up weight to lesser players, or you take weight from better players (and take a big chance at learning something)

I choose the later.

Not sure how you play, but wouldn't it be foolish to try to play someone better than I am without making the game more fair? It's not about any kind of heart, I want a chance to win. If I have that chance and blow it, then it's on me and I can deal with that. If I never have any chance to win because the guy is a consistent 8 and out ball runner, then it's on me, but in a different way.

NOt handycap games.

Because its youre life.

Hope its a enjoyable one.
[/QUOTE]

All I can tell you nobody knowes what the wright game is. Everyone is guessing. And some people try too make themselves out like they are better at picking then you.

But up a 50 50 proposition and nobody has the edge. And everyone can pick as good as the other person.

Because its all a guess. If the bettor player pocks the better player and has the edge.

He will win more then the pther person.Get it in youre head and mind nobody can win takeing the worst off the bets.

If you no each other and the other player always wins you do not need too ask who has the worst off the game.

And why would you gamble high if you dont no if you have a good game a bad game or a even game.

Remember wherever thier is good money involved. Larceny will be thier.

If you dont no what you are realy doing.

My best advice id not too gamble.

People gamble to get youre money. And If you have money you dont need to gamble.

And the try to antaganice you too gamble and bet so they can beat you out off youre money.

And if they beat you out off youre money. THe motr yhey will loke you. Why Because you atre giving them youre money.

Not because they think youre a nice guy. And too see the truth. Just look around and see too howe meny brocks they talk too. Zero. Its about getting youre money.

I played the game my whole life. And once you qouite loosing youre money. You will have out lived youre uslesseness.

And I am telling you the truth. I dont care who says what.

Because they no that I will tell them thier full off it. I am telling you the truth and what life has tought me.

And people who act nice are sometimes the worst people thier are. Isnt that what a confidece man does. Get you too belive in him and then he taks you off.

People are great actors and pretenders. And they realy have too be that way.

So they dont realy get exposed. And people will see what they realy are and the things they do.

That a gutter rat wouldnt do. And People dont reay fear thee unknown. They fear what they have done to others in thier past.

And I have been on all sides.

And Im far from a angle. BUt I do draw the line at a certain place. And some people never do.

THier is no perfect way too make a handycap. Its all human made and just try too make it as close as you can. And by playing you will see if you can win or loose.

And ajust the game accordingly. BE fair with each other and you will enhoy playing each other.

And if you are playing a player who is a creep or likes to argue. Give him a pass. You dont need it.

And all this bull Shit about howe much heart the greatest players have.

Thats all propaganda. And not true. A avarage player or even a weeker player. Can have more heart then the greatest player.

But people assume the greatest players have the most heart. Well I have knews for everybody. Some off the greatest players have the weackest heat.

So dont let nobody BS you or brain wash you. THat the greatest players have the most heart.

THats a complete loe. The greatest players are the greatesy players. But they dont have the most heart. That people make it out too be.

I have given you some off my experemce and howe it realy is. Isnt it funny that all these great players with the most heart.

HAve and use the most backers. Why because they have so much heart.

You can take that too the donicor and flush it.

And if we breack down caracter and scrupeles people arent going too want too do that. Or her it.

Thier is a different side too all off this. But does it ever come out. Or is it hiden forever.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Ya know what would be really useful and quite cool as well is if someone would post a legend or chart showing the relative power of each possible spot. You know the way they have one for poker hands. A ranking of the spots. Maybe you would want to add notes for when one was better than the other even though they might be mathematically equivalent. It will take a very knowledgeable and courageous player to post the first draft because I am sure it will go through many iterations before it really becomes something everybody can agree on. I'm sure it will spark a lot of discussion. Any takers?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:
Ya know what would be really useful and quite cool as well is if someone would post a legend or chart showing the relative power of each possible spot. You know the way they have one for poker hands. A ranking of the spots. Maybe you would want to add notes for when one was better than the other even though they might be mathematically equivalent. It will take a very knowledgeable and courageous player to post the first draft because I am sure it will go through many iterations before it really becomes something everybody can agree on. I'm sure it will spark a lot of discussion. Any takers?

Or you could ask what time it is, and have someone tell you how to make a watch factory. You still wouldn't know what time it was. ( see thread) :D
Rod.

u12armresl

Verified Member
I've gotten a few good items,but this topic was derailed around page 2.

Artie, it doesn't matter in your eyes if "no one" knows what the right game is. I'm looking for alternative starting points. I'm surely not going to turn down anyone who wants to play because "no one knows the right game"
Would you have given up if you received a negative response. I know that all of your games weren't even and that you received weight plenty of times.

Back to the topic at hand.

androd said:
Or you could ask what time it is, and have someone tell you how to make a watch factory. You still wouldn't know what time it was. ( see thread) :D
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
until a certain point.
Rod.

Rod, the jump from 9/6 in favor of the better player goes to 10/7 not 11/7. Some players, including myself feel that 11/7 is a bigger spot than 9/6 but not by much. If a weaker player is beating me 9/6 i'm not going to change the game to 11/7, the change will be to 9/6 one game 10/7 one game, or a straight 10/7 game adjustment.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
Rod, the jump from 9/6 in favor of the better player goes to 10/7 not 11/7. Some players, including myself feel that 11/7 is a bigger spot than 9/6 but not by much. If a weaker player is beating me 9/6 i'm not going to change the game to 11/7, the change will be to 9/6 one game 10/7 one game, or a straight 10/7 game adjustment.

Billy I.

You're correct of course. I stand corrected. Thanks for catching that error.
I was trying to keep it simple ;) and had a senior moment.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If player A is entitled to 10/7 from player B and player C spots player B 10/7 I feel that a fair game between player A playing player C would be something close to 12/6 or 11/5. Possibly 11/5 on his break and 12/6 on player A's break. I believe that that would be a good spot to start with.

I figured that by adding 1 to 2 balls onto player C's total and deducting 1 to 2 ball from player A's total would be the fairest thing to do. It would be unfair to player A if 3 balls would be added to player C's total= 13/7, or 3 balls deducted from player A's total=10/4. So a somewhat compromise is possibly what we should be looking for, adjusting the spot to one game 12/6 and one game 11/5.

Billy I.

RedCard

Verified Member
Adjusted Spots

Adjusted Spots

I spent some time a while back adjusting spots. My then girlfriend would tell me she'd sometimes hear me fire up the Dremel at 2am. When the pips were dry and the dice were ready the game they were adjusted for fell on schedule. Yet another bar I can no longer go in without disguise. The hardest part was feigning surprise at my good luck as the owner counted out the $2300 pot.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
If player A is entitled to 10/7 from player B and player C spots player B 10/7 I feel that a fair game between player A playing player C would be something close to 12/6 or 11/5. Possibly 11/5 on his break and 12/6 on player A's break. I believe that that would be a good spot to start with.

I figured that by adding 1 to 2 balls onto player C's total and deducting 1 to 2 ball from player A's total would be the fairest thing to do. It would be unfair to player A if 3 balls would be added to player C's total= 13/7, or 3 balls deducted from player A's total=10/4. So a somewhat compromise is possibly what we should be looking for, adjusting the spot to one game 12/6 and one game 11/5.

Billy I.
The above spots are predicated on ball spots, but there are other kinds of spots that would negate ball spots. For instance break and ball in hand spots, but the uncertainties involved make these types of spots too difficult to put an exact imprint on. Ball in hand to one player may be worth more than ball in hand to another player, even if both players are entitled to 12/6 from their opponent. I'm hoping you people can understand the reasons behind what I say and why I say it.

Than their are the scratches don't count spot that could be possibly added on to a ball spot to make up the difference of the spot. But than again one would have to know the strength of scratches don't count to determine what the final spot would be. We've been down that road here on onepocket.org with mixed results. But if you go back to that thread I would tend to side with Rodney on that issue. Lets move forward.

Than there are money lines put on a game that would negate ball spots. A money line would be very interesting and definitely a good way for two people to gamble. Money lines are an option to bet just about every sport, foot ball, basket ball, hockey, prize fights, and obviously base ball. I'm not certain what 8/7 would be worth in a money line but 11/10 on the money couldn't be far off. I would guess that 9/7 would be worth somewhere around 6/5 or 1.25/100 where as 10/7 may be worth somewhere around 1.35/100 or possibly 7/5.

Keep in mind these money lines are a rough graph and not to be taken as bible. But never the less, reasonable in opening negotiations.

Billy I.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
Keep in mind these money lines are a rough graph and not to be taken as bible. But never the less, reasonable in opening negotiations.

Billy I.

Billy.

I am nowhere near your level of handicapper. But I have, many times worked the money odds successfully. You can match up a game with someone well under you, and when they won't play, you can throw in the money odds (2/1 or 3/1 etc...If you are careful, you can make a good score...It doesn't take long, to find out if you are out of line.

One of the biggest scores I ever made, was giving up 9/7, and 3 to 1 on the money, per game...It was hard for the guy to quit, knowing that if he won a game or two in a row, he would be even...He played for a week...:cool: