J. Parica vs. G. Slivka 1996 U.S. Open #3

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well i guess ill go first
so everyone will have something to pick on:)
i dont see an easy way to protect my ball near my pocket
i could try to 2 rail the 5 but i leave him several balls that go to his pocket if he decides to shoot
i wanted to try to hit the 2 -10 with high right to follow thru to the rail after hitting the 10 and spinning behind the 3 stripes as blockers
i gave up on that idea as ai thought too much could go wrong

so im hoping to move the 2 to my side the 10 will go more up table and ill leave the q on the foot rail
expecting him to move my ball away and we'll start moving balls uptable
cd4.jpg
im curious to see what others would do
this was tough for me to find a very productive shot

bbutler

Verified Member
From
In yer pocket!
I don't see much of a productive shot either. I think I just clip the ball near my pocket, move it up the rail about a diamond, and try and freeze him to the end rail. In my opinion the game is most likely going to turn upside down eventually from this position, so by doing it yourself you gain a small measure of initiative.

Plus I happen to know Gerry hates 'uptable' games, so I don't mind trying to get under his skin a little :)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would shoot it as Mr. Butler would. I can't find a safe place uptable for the CB, especially a place from which he could not bank this ball. Also, I just watched the tape with Bugs Rucker - that was spooky. :eek:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
parica 2.JPGThis could be an option. The only ball that can be banked is the twelve, which I would welcome him to try. I would take the seven ball two rails around the five ball and leave it uptable.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Hit the 2(6?) with top. Sends the 2 back below the two stripes and should stick the CB close to the side rail, but up enough to block a direct shot at the ball above Parica's pocket. Hopefully, any reasonable bank should be blocked and 2 balls will now be over on Parica's side.

andyk

From
Tucson, Az
Hi all... been reading this forum for a while but haven't posted before. I live in Tucson and have been playing one pocket with the locals for about five years, even duking it out with Sappo (Keith) quite a bit :)

I first saw a few shots that lll and bbutler posted. Playing the 2 ball into the stripe next to the 9 could send it towards my hole, but it is pretty risky as lll has pointed out. I might shoot it... but I sell out a lot :D What about clipping off the red solid, just sending it to the side rail, and putting the cue ball on the head rail approximately behind the five ball? Slivka might have to execute a tough shot in that case... Otherwise, I like bbutler's shot.

Looking forward to learning a lot of one pocket here!

Peace!
Andy

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
andyk said:
Hi all... been reading this forum for a while but haven't posted before. I live in Tucson and have been playing one pocket with the locals for about five years, even duking it out with Sappo (Keith) quite a bit :)

I first saw a few shots that lll and bbutler posted. Playing the 2 ball into the stripe next to the 9 could send it towards my hole, but it is pretty risky as lll has pointed out. I might shoot it... but I sell out a lot :D What about clipping off the red solid, just sending it to the side rail, and putting the cue ball on the head rail approximately behind the five ball? Slivka might have to execute a tough shot in that case... Otherwise, I like bbutler's shot.

Looking forward to learning a lot of one pocket here!

Peace!
Andy
andy you get a cyber cookie for calling me lll not III:)
if you could get behind the 5 to protect you ball by your pockets AND not leave a shot on the 5 thats a good shot

Skin

Verified Member
Provided there is not a lane for the 5 to bank, I would look at banking that stripe next to the 9 over to my side and freeze up on the 9 to block for the ball by my hole. He might kick at my ball, but OK. It's a tough spot.

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Provided there is not a lane for the 5 to bank, I would look at banking that stripe next to the 9 over to my side and freeze up on the 9 to block for the ball by my hole. He might kick at my ball, but OK. It's a tough spot.

Skin
my eye doctor visit is next month:rolleyes: :)
to me that lane is open

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
my eye doctor visit is next month:rolleyes: :)
to me that lane is open

Send him my way when he's finished with you, Larry. It looks to me the 5 has a half-pocket at most. ;)

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
View attachment 3689This could be an option. The only ball that can be banked is the twelve, which I would welcome him to try. I would take the seven ball two rails around the five ball and leave it uptable.

I like Franks shot. If I don't draw into the combo there's a chance to make it or get close and get fairly safe. :D
Rod.

bstroud

Verified Member
Can't really tell from the pic but it looks like you have a free bank on the 2 ball.

Use high left, cut the 2 ball thin and use the ball next to the 2 ball to stop the cue ball.

If you don't make the 2 ball you will have two balls near your pocket and the cue ball hidden.

Bill Stroud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Jose played a very strange safety, maybe he needed glasses too:) . Billy I. let loose with a stinging rebuke (for him) QUOTE: Now that was just foolish.

Jose's Shot2.jpg

Here's how he left it:

Jose's Leave.Jpeg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Sometimes, you just have to duck.Parica doesn't take many chances.He's what I would call a grinder.I would have done something like that also.
John B.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
bstroud said:
Can't really tell from the pic but it looks like you have a free bank on the 2 ball.

Use high left, cut the 2 ball thin and use the ball next to the 2 ball to stop the cue ball.

If you don't make the 2 ball you will have two balls near your pocket and the cue ball hidden.

Bill Stroud

I know I need glasses. I dont see the bank on the two as a good shot. Double kisses, not enough room to bank. Whats wrong with the nine banking onto the other stripe, pulling the cue towards the side rail? Besides selling out, I mean. I like the safe but he could have gotten his cue ball on the rail.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
John Brumback said:
Sometimes, you just have to duck.Parica doesn't take many chances.He's what I would call a grinder.I would have done something like that also.
John B.

I know you're a grinder John, I played you twice in 2003. Once in banks where you sent me to the losers side and next in the one pocket. I dont remember I had a decent shot in six games. Trap, dink, trap, trap, dink, trap, dink. I had a headache for three days.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Scrzbill said:
I know you're a grinder John, I played you twice in 2003. Once in banks where you sent me to the losers side and next in the one pocket. I dont remember I had a decent shot in six games. Trap, dink, trap, trap, dink, trap, dink. I had a headache for three days.

Hey,sorry bout that.JK LOL That's the way I play.John dink dink B.haha

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud

I thought about the left at first as I was responding, but that may keep the CB in sight of the (now) 2 balls on Parica's side. Top ought to give it a little more steam to roll a few inches and get hidden. Well.. I hope that's how it would've turned out anyways. :eek: