Alex vs. Efren

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I would bank the 11 into the stack and draw the cueball uptable. Pagulayan probably cut the 2 in. Not many options here, unless he might bank the 11 across and try to get behind the 8 ball, but that's a great risk for little advantage. He needs to get another ball or two in play on his side, while he can.

Cookie is in the mail. This was a very difficult shot, hit with speed but killing the rock in the process. He hit it perfect.

AP's Shot.jpg

He left it here for Efren:

CapturedPicture_2.Jpeg
CapturedPicture_3.Jpeg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ok we saw what alex shot and we see how close he came to scratching
he lives for another inning.(nice execution of the shot alex)
BUT
after all things considered and somehow i was transported back in time to coach alex on what to do
id tell him to bank the stripe into the stack and send whitey up table
alot of reward for little risk and ease of execution(imho)
i dont think the bank goes and if you miss you didnt sell out thats good:)
but if you hit it into the stack you have more balls for efren to worry about
being a monday morning quaterback is fun:heh
icbw

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Even though I know what happened next and in the rest of the game I think I'd agree that banking the 13 into the stack and drifting the cueball uptable is what I'd do.

I also think that the "Efren Effect" was in evidence here, I think Alex was so afraid of leaving Efren the straight-back on the 3 ball with the 8 ball making it a "big" pocket that he "overthought" this shot and decided wrong. We all do it sometimes.

P.S. Monday morning QB'ing is what we do, no need to apologize for it:D.

P.Ps. He didn't really come as close to scratching as it looks.

Dennis

bbutler

Verified Member
From
In yer pocket!
Even though I know what happened next and in the rest of the game I think I'd agree that banking the 13 into the stack and drifting the cueball uptable is what I'd do.

I also think that the "Efren Effect" was in evidence here, I think Alex was so afraid of leaving Efren the straight-back on the 3 ball with the 8 ball making it a "big" pocket that he "overthought" this shot and decided wrong. We all do it sometimes.

P.S. Monday morning QB'ing is what we do, no need to apologize for it:D.

P.Ps. He didn't really come as close to scratching as it looks.

Dennis

And as it was, didn't he leave that same bank for Efren anyways? If so then I definitely agree with you; I think this shot was too much risk for not much reward.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
My choice would be about whatever shot I was most comfortable with to get the CB where I'd want. :) If I could shoot at the pocket and handle the CB that's what I'd do.
Rod.

I agree that the cue ball is the most important part of this shot and when you say that if you can bank it toward your pocket ..'providing you can handle the cue ball' is what you would do is also good information.

For those who are interested, if you feel unsure that you can bank the ball toward your pocket and handle the cue ball ....THEN DON'T. Bank the ball toward the stack and control the cue ball. Whenever cue ball control is at a premium, it's ok to sacrifice offense in turn for.. 'cue ball control.' Mistakes are commonly made when we try to do a little too much with a shot, especially when one end of the shot is much more important than the other end of the shot.

Read Rod's post again and then you'll understand what I am referring to.:)

Billy I.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Dragging the cueball down the rail with draw is a very easy thing to do, but dragging it all the way to the bottom of that pocket is pretty easy, also. Trying to stop it on a dime, or even on a dollar bill, is very ambitious. Better to leave it a bit short, or drag it uptable instead.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Dragging the cueball down the rail with draw is a very easy thing to do, but dragging it all the way to the bottom of that pocket is pretty easy, also. Trying to stop it on a dime, or even on a dollar bill, is very ambitious. Better to leave it a bit short, or drag it uptable instead.

What he said.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I agree that the cue ball is the most important part of this shot and when you say that if you can bank it toward your pocket ..'providing you can handle the cue ball' is what you would do is also good information.

For those who are interested, if you feel unsure that you can bank the ball toward your pocket and handle the cue ball ....THEN DON'T. Bank the ball toward the stack and control the cue ball. Whenever cue ball control is at a premium, it's ok to sacrifice offense in turn for.. 'cue ball control.' Mistakes are commonly made when we try to do a little too much with a shot, especially when one end of the shot is much more important than the other end of the shot.

Read Rod's post again and then you'll understand what I am referring to.:)

Billy I.

This right here is a valuable nugget of info.

Very often when I make the biggest mistakes it is because I am trying to force a shot that isn't really there. As the ghost and Nick Varner both told me I often try to do too much.

There usually is a much more natural shot. Recognizing when a shot is really there is an important step in becoming a better one pocket player.

Dud

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

The most important thing Mr Dudley is too remember, "when you gotta go, you gotta go". Don't second guess your shots. Shoot what you can make with rewards. You play fine. What ifs are the scourge of one pocket players from the rail. You know the ones who never step up but know everything " you" should have shot? I'll be home Saturday, at the phul room that night.:frus:frus

SJDinPHX

Suspended
BUT
after all things considered and somehow i was transported back in time to coach alex on what to do
icbw

I agree Larry, your shot selection is outstanding...If you would coach me the next time I play Preacher Ronn, I think
we would have the nuts...:D

Oh wait, the NIT wouldn't double the bet, when he had me stuck 6 games..so bring plenty of $$$$, in case he weakens..:eek:

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA

The most important thing Mr Dudley is too remember, "when you gotta go, you gotta go". Don't second guess your shots. Shoot what you can make with rewards. You play fine. What ifs are the scourge of one pocket players from the rail. You know the ones who never step up but know everything " you" should have shot? I'll be home Saturday, at the phul room that night.:frus:frus

I hear ya,

Believe me I know about shooting a "wild" shot and reaping the rewards... I just can't shoot every single flyer I see. (unless I'm on a roll) I do appreciate the point you make.

The more I play this game the closer my intended result matches the actual result.

Send me a pm if you want to get together and play some this weekend. :)

Mr. Do right

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I agree Larry, your shot selection is outstanding...If you would coach me the next time I play Preacher Ronn, I think
we would have the nuts..

Oh wait, the NIT wouldn't double the bet, when he had me stuck 6 games..so bring plenty of $$$$, in case he weakens..

dick im honored that you respect my shot selections so much that you would ask me to coach you:rolleyes:

show me the video and ill be happy to tell you what you should have shot:D

only thing is im not sure you could shoot what i told you:p:D:)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
BUT
icbw

It's not often I get too heated, but I watched alex play this game, and I was just so amazed.... i mean he was so busy being amazed by efren, he took some of the most ill-advised shot(s) ive ever seen a player his caliber take. Alex ended up on the other side of this 8 later in the game. He could have just hit like a stop shot and knocked two balls away, and he scratched straight into efren's hole. I was just so amazed by his lack of professionalism. I guess this is why nobody beat efren for so long??

Anyway, that was a rant for sure.... i just remember being so pissed after watching this game about the way people play (thinking wise, not execution) on efren.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Alex ended up on the other side of this 8 later in the game. He could have just hit like a stop shot and knocked two balls away, and he scratched straight into efren's hole.

There is definitely an "Efren Effect" in play when people play him. He does so many amazing things that I guess you start to think you need a perfect shot just to have a chance.

Here is the layout where Alex scratched that led to Efren's 9 & out and the match. Remember that Alex had just put Effie behind the 8 ball on two consecutive shots, maybe he figured the 3rd time would be the charm:D.

P.S. I think with the 8 that close to the pocket there was no possible "stop shot & knock two away" but that's just how it looks to me, I wasn't there.

AP's Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_4.Jpeg

CapturedPicture_3.Jpeg