Corey Deuel vs. Johnny Stone 2009 D.C.C.

bstroud

Verified Member
Easy two rail on the one ball without giving up much.

If you make it a straight back on the 9 ball with position on the 6 ball.

Bill S.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What is the problem?

What is the problem?

I dont see a problem to start with. ??? Bank the one cross corner or find a different game to play besides bank pool.

Beard

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
It says the first game, so my decision depends on whether I had a chance to hit some balls right before this match. If so, I am banking the one for position to get a lot more. If not, I would two rail the one like Bill stated and not chance on selling out right out of the gate.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Good only if you make it

Good only if you make it

It says the first game, so my decision depends on whether I had a chance to hit some balls right before this match. If so, I am banking the one for position to get a lot more. If not, I would two rail the one like Bill stated and not chance on selling out right out of the gate.

A., you dont have to blast the one to make it cross corner. Just rolling it at the pocket shouldnt leave much. If you bank the one cross corner twice and miss it, you give your oppo a chance to shoot the one away and leave you on the back rail. I seldom give anyone a chance to do that.
I personally havent had much luck finding guys that opt to pass on banking the one cross corner. :rolleyes:

Beard

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I think the 1 cross corner is almost a guaranteed score if you roll it in. I think it's laying at the right angle that makes the shot easy.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I dont see a problem to start with. ??? Bank the one cross corner or find a different game to play besides bank pool.

Beard

I kinda figured the same thing but Danny D. said this is this guys 1st match on the T.V. table ever and he was a little nervous. I guess he didn't want to hit a ball soft so he banked the 5 straight-back and then the 1 cross-corner and the 4 ball cross-side.

JS's Shot.jpg

He left himself here for the 1 and then the 4.

CapturedPicture_9.Jpeg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bank axiom

Bank axiom

Here is a little bank axiom that if we think about it at all makes perfect sense.
In a game of banks, the shot with the least amount of pressure on you is probably the first shot out of the box, right after the break. It is the longest duration to the end of the game or match, thereby giving you the most room to make up any miss or mistake you might make, and you have as yet no history of missing to dim your confidence.
The first shot of the game I will swing at straight backs that I would probably play safe on later in the game.

Beard

The guys shot choice is an indication that he is not an experienced bank player. Real bank players know that short cross corners are much easier than straight backs.

John Brumback

Verified Member
The straightback Is way easier than the one cross corner due to the fact that the one and cueball are almost straight across from each other and In between the side pockets.I would shoot the straightback here also.If you know how to hit this straightback..it's an easy shot.;) JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hmmm

Hmmm

I always thought that the pocket opening for the cross corner as opposed to the straight back was an inch and a half to two inches wider? :rolleyes:The cross corner also has 9 feet less to travel. :confused: Plus the cross corner is not straight on. There is some angle. If it was dead straight on, I would consider the straight back.

Beard

shw

Verified Member
Corey Deuel vs. Johnny Stone 2009 D.C.C.

The original post asked "what would you do" so here's a lower-level, non-world-beater, opinion.

First of all, I love banks. It's my favorite game. I'm a decent player, more of a mover than a maker. I've made the money a few times at the DCC and made the Monday rounds a couple of times, definitely no champion, just a mid-level player.

For me, the 5 may be a slightly higher percentage shot than the 1 but the 1 offers a better chance of getting more balls. However, for me, they both suffer from the same problem in this situation. If I don't make the shot, I'm leaving very good offensive player a wide open table.

Shooting the 5 and missing, leaves the 1 for sure and maybe the 4, 5 or 6.

Shooting the 1 sends the cueball towards the near end of the table which is pretty open. The 9, 6, 2 and two of the three balls near the spot have pockets, also the two balls near the middle (5,4) could be made straight back.

If I make either shot I'm going to get few but if I miss there's a damn good chance that the next time I get to the table, if I get back to the table, I'm going to be down a few balls.

So the big question for me is what are my chances of making either of these shots? Well, If I've been on the table for a while, settled in, made some shots, and feeling confident, I probably shoot one of them and take a chance on jumping out to a lead or maybe even finshing but,... for me, and this is a big BUT... this is my first shot, in the first game of the match, in my first game on the TV table, at the DCC, against a formidable offensive opponent. I don't want my first shot to be a nervous miss that turns Corey loose. Given that, I'm playing safe.

I think my first shot would be a soft safe off the left side of the 1 leaving the cue close to the end rail either around the right-most diamond (or left most depending on the exact angle) and the 1 close to the rail near the right side, forcing Corey to shoot down a pretty open table without much of a offensive shot.

Just a few thoughts from a lower level.

shw

John Brumback

Verified Member
Let us in on your little secret John... ;)

Ok,just over cut It an Inch and hit the cball with a touch of Inside center and fire It.
If hit like this the pocket will be real big.Being that It's a long shot doesn't matter.Again,If you hit It right the pocket becomes a big bucket.JB

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
This is an interesting thread. I don't think I would have looked much at the straight back, but I can see John's point. Actually I can see everyone's point with their thinking. It comes down to what you are most comfortable with shooting. I shot the easy cross corner last night a few times and it was more of an angle than I first saw on the drawing, and a decent shot.

So Fred and John, is there a situtation where you would look at what I talked about, banking the one for position to get more balls? I understand the downside, but Iwould feel pretty comfortable with that shot, if I was warmed up..

Good discussion..

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Position?

Position?

This is an interesting thread. I don't think I would have looked much at the straight back, but I can see John's point. Actually I can see everyone's point with their thinking. It comes down to what you are most comfortable with shooting. I shot the easy cross corner last night a few times and it was more of an angle than I first saw on the drawing, and a decent shot.

So Fred and John, is there a situtation where you would look at what I talked about, banking the one for position to get more balls? I understand the downside, but Iwould feel pretty comfortable with that shot, if I was warmed up..

Good discussion..

At just about any point in the game or match I would be shooting the one and moving up table for position. That's me. And that is me even today. I would be hitting it with speed. I would only be lagging to the pocket if I was really dogging it or only needed one.

Beard

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok,just over cut It an Inch and hit the cball with a touch of Inside center and fire It.
If hit like this the pocket will be real big.Being that It's a long shot doesn't matter.Again,If you hit It right the pocket becomes a big bucket.JB

Thanks John!

With that said, and given the situation in the original post, would you shoot the straight back on the 3 in the manner you explained if the 4 ball wasn't there to run into? The reason I ask is... if the 4 isn't there, over-cutting the 3 and firing it would certainly let whitey loose in a big way.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Thanks John!

With that said, and given the situation in the original post, would you shoot the straight back on the 3 in the manner you explained if the 4 ball wasn't there to run into? The reason I ask is... if the 4 isn't there, over-cutting the 3 and firing it would certainly let whitey loose in a big way.

Good question!! And the answer would be a big NO. Then I would look for something else,and I don't think It would be the one.Me don't like that shot much.To easy to miss.Lots of guessing with that one ball.Skid,grab,throw,slide,smallish pocket ect ect.With the straightback.. to me the pocket plays way bigger than the pocket will with the oneball.Get ready to buy my dvd and you will see.;) John B.