Am I banking wrong?

TJOHIO

I was told that you should hardly ever draw the ball wen playing bank, if this is true im screwed cause I draw the rock on about 90% of my straight backs. Any info on this id like to know.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was told that you should hardly ever draw the ball wen playing bank, if this is true im screwed cause I draw the rock on about 90% of my straight backs. Any info on this id like to know.

Does that mean that you are actually drawing the cue ball back or are you just hitting it low?

Beard

TJOHIO

Does that mean that you are actually drawing the cue ball back or are you just hitting it low?

Beard

well on a lot of shots I draw the cueball back to the end rail. Only on straight backs though Fred cross sides and corners its more center ball, and also on some straight backs I use center. but it seems like im drawing the cue ball like 70 to 90% of the time on straight backs.

4Point

From
Bartlett, Illinois
What up TJ? I was your 1st round bye over at Red Shoes a month ago...anyway, Fred's inquiry certainly has a professorial tone to it! ;) I've been working specifically on my straight-backs & with what I've gathered from this site - I've found that if you slightly over cut the bank in the direction of the pocket while putting a VERY slight amount of inside and hitting low enough to in essence stop the cball upon impact gives me the results I desire. I like this formula for 2 destinct reasons...1: The shallow'er' path the object ball takes off the short rail to the pocket makes it play much bigger and 2: The speed needed to hit & stick, on say a spot shot with you in the kitchen, has you opening up your stroke & guttin' this thing with some pace. Man, for me it just seems even with speed...the object has that spin we all love to see that when it wipes its feet on the pocket - it still topples in nicely! Excited to learn what the experts say on this becuase I used to draw my straight backs a vast majority of the time too...at least for safety reasons. -David

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
drawing the ball

drawing the ball

There are some banks that can only be made if you have the ability to draw the cue ball back so it does not kiss the ball you are trying to bank. I beat a lot of guys that play shape on a short rail bank when shooting a long straight back.
When their straight back jaws up, they leave you their perfect position.
I use draw when i do not want to sell out if the ball hangs on me. I don't think this idea of not using draw is chiseled in stone as the gospel. imho, let the shot dictate what i need to do with the cue ball. I'm not a champion , but have been playing pool since 1956 at age 12. Jim

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yes.

Yes.

There are some banks that can only be made if you have the ability to draw the cue ball back so it does not kiss the ball you are trying to bank. I beat a lot of guys that play shape on a short rail bank when shooting a long straight back.
When their straight back jaws up, they leave you their perfect position.

I use draw when i do not want to sell out if the ball hangs on me. I don't think this idea of not using draw is chiseled in stone as the gospel. imho, let the shot dictate what i need to do with the cue ball. I'm not a champion , but have been playing pool since 1956 at age 12. Jim

Big Jim is correct. Some shots you need draw, most shots you do not. You gots to do what youre supposed to do.

Beard

tylerdurden

Verified Member
John has mentioned in here that he never draws banks he is cinching, unless it is required to get out of a kiss, or perhaps for safety or position play.

I'm with you though. I use draw sometimes and dont know why. i do this less now though, and with good results. I have come to the conclusion that bank pool is essentially about shortening banks up, and using a lot of center ball, with touches of english (both inside and outside come up a lot). I used to use too much spin, now I have toned that down and i'm more accurate.... I see those "shortened" angles, and go from there.

John Brumback

Verified Member

I think so.I know I don't like using draw unless I really really need to.But that's just me.By the way,I sell "how to bank" dvds.Fred the Beard does also.
Good luck kid.John B.