how well did Bugs play 9 ball?

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
He played just "fine"....good stroke, broke well, could string racks together. When he got "out of line" he did have the great ability to bank back into line. It has been many years but 20-25 years ago it would of taken a "top 16" player to be assured of a victory. Anything less "you were gambling". Most players never realized he could play 9 Ball...they figured he was just a "bank or one pocket" player and would "WOOF" about 9 ball...guess what "SURPRISE"!!!

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
Tom Spencer and The Ghost

Tom Spencer and The Ghost

I wish I had the chance to have played Bugs, I guess thats my fault, should of thrown a few bills at him for experience alone. Did draw Spencer in a one pocket tourny at Chris's a few years back. Very strong at all games. Danny Diliberto was there as was The Beard,and Ghost. I lost to Spencer as I wasn't recieving my complimentary hit and the pick, which all the top players in Chicago lure me in with. Spencers next match had him against the Ghost on the table next to me. They got into a very spirited exchange on some ruling. Just wondering if The Ghost remembers the situation and how it was resolved. I was playing Chicago Mike, what happened to Mike?

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
The real shame about Bugs and alot of these players is they played before video.

You can go on Youtube and see most players.

Its a shame that Gary Spathe, Bugs and lots of other players are just a memory.

ken

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The real shame about Bugs and alot of these players is they played before video.

You can go on Youtube and see most players.

Its a shame that Gary Spathe, Bugs and lots of other players are just a memory.

ken

Ken,

Although it's not 9-ball there are DVD's available of Bugs & Spaeth playing Banks & One-Pocket. Granted there aren't many but there are a few.

I've got Bugs/Daulton, Bugs/Cornbread & Bugs/Parica. Got a couple of Spaeth too.(Gary).

Your overall feeling is shared though, it would be nice to have as many DVD's of Red as I have of Efren or Shannon.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I wish I had the chance to have played Bugs, I guess thats my fault, should of thrown a few bills at him for experience alone. Did draw Spencer in a one pocket tourny at Chris's a few years back. Very strong at all games. Danny Diliberto was there as was The Beard,and Ghost. I lost to Spencer as I wasn't recieving my complimentary hit and the pick, which all the top players in Chicago lure me in with. Spencers next match had him against the Ghost on the table next to me. They got into a very spirited exchange on some ruling. Just wondering if The Ghost remembers the situation and how it was resolved. I was playing Chicago Mike, what happened to Mike?

Yeah, since it was the hill-hill game, and we were in the final 4 on the winners side, I remember that incident all too well - but here in public, I'm going to be a gentleman and not say anymore about it.

- Ghost

PS, And by the way, SJDick may remember when Darren Appleton had a big problem with Tommy, in a key spot in their match at the DCC 3-4 years ago...:cool: