Who's shot is it???

chicagomike

Verified Member
Here's the scenario...

You're playing full rack bank pool against a formidable opponent who is quite familiar with the rules of the game. That opponent is breaking the balls in a soft break safe manner in which the rack is glanced and the cueball goes two rails back uptable. The opponent does not call "safe" and a ball from the stack leaks out into a pocket.

Who shoots the next shot???

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Here's the scenario...

You're playing full rack bank pool against a formidable opponent who is quite familiar with the rules of the game. That opponent is breaking the balls in a soft break safe manner in which the rack is glanced and the cueball goes two rails back uptable. The opponent does not call "safe" and a ball from the stack leaks out into a pocket.

Mikey...Where ya been ? Are you going to make Vegas ? I'd buy you a drink, but it's hard to do when Deeman's around ! :D

PS..No harm, no foul..just spot the ball up..next player's shot..;)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's the scenario...

I would say it's the breaker's shot. He made a ball on the break and didn't foul.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I would say it's the breaker's shot. He made a ball on the break and didn't foul.

Dennis

Thats bacause you are stupid..He did not call a pocket, ball, or safety...Stick to your Greensh*t, you doorknob..Cheeeesh ! :frus

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Thats bacause you are stupid..He did not call a pocket, ball, or safety...Stick to your Greensh*t, you doorknob..Cheeeesh ! :frus

Hey Genius, if you make a ball on the break playing banks you shoot again, why do you think Broombach hits 'em so hard?. I thought banks was your forte. You'll never make the Banks HOF like this:p.

RBL

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hey Genius, if you make a ball on the break playing banks you shoot again, why do you think Broombach hits 'em so hard?. I thought banks was your forte. You'll never make the Banks HOF like this.

RBL

You may accidently be right..I forgot they were playing the (ugh) Banks...No telling what the rules are in that stupid 'niche' game..
I'll take John Broamnbaches word for it..Not yours..:( :eek: :rolleyes:

E.Taylor McDuck<---Will make the Banks HOF before you do.,:sorry

PS..We'll play some full rack 'Snooker Banks' on a 6 X 12 next time I see you..$4200 a game..minimum.:cool:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
You may accidently be right..I forgot they were playing the (ugh) Banks...No telling what the rules are in that stupid 'niche' game..
I'll take John Broamnbaches word for it..Not yours.

E.Taylor McDuck<---Will make the Banks HOF before you do.,:sorry

PS..We'll play some full rack 'Snooker Banks' on a 6 X 12 next time I see you..$4200 a game..minimum.:cool:

Do you know what I hate? I hate when you post sober:p. Please drink a little before posting so early in the day.

P.S. Would you please stop calling me?

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member

Dennis

I would say... YOUR DEAD WRONG!! He was playing safe therefore he loses his shot.Why can't you ever get the rules right? I get very tired of correcting you all the damn time.:frus:mad::p:heh John "the reff" Brumback

PS: seriously,the guy that broke loses his shot.The ball spots up.
PPS: another reason real bank players call their shots and their safes.
Onemore..It dose not matter whether you are gambling or playing in a tourny!!!!

Don't forget they are playing full rack not short rack.there is a difference you know? Ya'll are going to drive me to drinkin..... too.:lol

John Brumback

Verified Member
Here's the scenario...

The ball spots up and it's the next players turn.That' why you should always call a ball or call a safe.None of that in between stuff,tryin to pull a move kinda of stuff.John B.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

I would say... YOUR DEAD WRONG!! He was playing safe therefore he loses his shot.Why can't you ever get the rules right? ..Don't forget they are playin full rack not short rack.there is a difference you know? Ya'll are going to drive me to drinkin..... too.:lol

Dear Wrong Again Breath,

Didn't I tell you, theres NO TELLING what the rules are, in that "sissie, niche" game..:frus :rolleyes:

E.Taylor McDuck <---Knows his rules, John...I was just testing idiot, Denise :p

Latest picture of RBL..(left)..Congrats on beating SOMETHING..:D
View attachment 5801

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would say... YOUR DEAD WRONG!! He was playing safe therefore he loses his shot.Why can't you ever get the rules right? I get very tired of correcting you all the damn time.mad::p John "the reff" Brumback

PS: seriously,the guy that broke loses his shot.The ball spots up.
PPS: another reason real bank players call their shots and their safes.
Onemore..It dose not matter whether you are gambling or playing in a tourny!!!!

Don't forget they are playing full rack not short rack.there is a difference you know? Ya'll are going to drive me to drinkin..... too.

I agree with you when you say that if you call your shot whether it be a ball or a safe it should stand as called but I believe in this instance neither was called.:confused: Should we then assume that since the safety was not called the breaker should continue shooting? But then again when you break softly one's to assume that you're breaking safe, but if you don't call safe before you break then you are technically wrong, right? Being technically wrong would then pit you in a weak position to negotiate your case of playing safe ... I guess then it would revert back to how badly the players want to win, should technically right be a good enough reason to enforce the rule when you know that the player was playing safe when breaking the balls? That's another can of worms.:eek: My conclusion would be that both players are wrong and right, with the non breaker getting the nod. :sorry Fred.

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I agree with you when you say that if you call your shot whether it be a ball or a safe it should stand as called but I believe in this instance neither was called.:confused: Should we then assume that since the safety was not called the breaker should continue shooting? But then again when you break softly one's to assume that you're breaking safe, but if you don't call safe before you break then you are technically wrong, right? Being technically wrong would then pit you in a weak position to negotiate your case of playing safe ... I guess then it would revert back to how badly the players want to win, should technically right be a good enough reason to enforce the rule when you know that the player was playing safe when breaking the balls? That's another can of worms.:eek: My conclusion would be that both players are wrong and right, with the non breaker getting the nod. :sorry Fred.

Dr. Bill

Let me ask you a question. You have played a lot of bank pool. :rolleyes:
I am going to assume at some point you must have broken safe playing full rack. The question is this, how many times, if ever, did you utter the words, "safe break" before you did so?
Next question. If you didnt do so, and you happened to execute a bad safe break, and a ball accidentally fell in, and you were fortunately or unfortunately, left with a good shot, would you try to continue shooting? Plus, do you think your opponent would allow you to continue shooting at that hanger? If he argued no, would you make a case out of it?

I have played in many scary black pool rooms where you MUST be technically correct at all times, and where a safe break playing bank pool is the rule not the exception. Neither I nor they have bothered to actually state our safe break intentions out loud. And as you would expect, a ball has accidentally fell in many times.

Beard

At least I got Brumback to agree with me. (For the very first time):lol

John Brumback

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,there should be no assuming in this situation.The guy broke safe.Go back and read the op.And he said the guy knows how to play and knows the rules.Fred will tell you that the way real full racks banks is played that you have to 'bank" a ball before you can shoot again.Even if they weren't playing with those rules the guy should not ever get to shoot again from that spot.
Again,the way I grew up playing with the best bank players in the world is that you call your safe or call your ball.Simple and we never ever had a problem.Why can't we all just play by my rules? :lol Disclaimer these rules are how and what I like and think they should be.DR.reff Brumback

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dear Wrong Again Breath,

Didn't I tell you, theres NO TELLING what the rules are, in that "sissie, niche" game..:frus :rolleyes:

E.Taylor McDuck <---Knows his rules, John...I was just testing idiot, Denise :p

Latest picture of RBL..(left)..Congrats on beating SOMETHING..:D
View attachment 5801

Oh yeah,you had the rule right,right off the bat.Your a quick study,Sir.

DR.Reff broooombach

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dr. Bill,there should be no assuming in this situation.The guy broke safe.Go back and read the op.And he said the guy knows how to play and knows the rules.Fred will tell you that the way real full racks banks is played that you have to 'bank" a ball before you can shoot again.Even if they weren't playing with those rules the guy should not ever get to shoot again from that spot.
Again,the way I grew up playing with the best bank players in the world is that you call your safe or call your ball.Simple and we never ever had a problem.Why can't we all just play by my rules? :lol Disclaimer these rules are how and what I like and think they should be.DR.reff Brumback

John,

You are the one assuming. You say the guy broke safe but the only way to break safe is to announce your intentions. If he didn't announce it then it was an open break and he made a ball and shoots again. Play by the rules, like you say. It's the breaker's shot.

P.S. I don't remember ever announcing "safe" when breaking a full-rack in banks. I also don't remember a ball going in on the break but it's been awhile. Started 9-ball banks probably in early 80's.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
John, if we are playing full rack banks and the rule is in place that if a ball is made on the break the breaker continues shooting, then there shouldn't be an argument over who's shot it is. But
At the same time I understand that when a player breaks softly we are to assumethat he is breaking safe, but not announcing it. So with this unwritten rule among gamblers is it right to call it on the breaker (calling a tech) and enforce the technically right rule of ..'you must call your shot for it to be legal' That's what I was referring to when I mentioned ...it all depends on how badly the players want to win...

Personally I think the breaker was wrong for not calling safe before breaking the balls, but right to rebut the technically right claim. I also feel the non breaker was right to call the technically right claim, but wrong for enforcing it.
But if you grew up playing a certain way then that way should be honored, providing you're playing someone you grew up with.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
John, if we are playing full rack banks and the rule is in place that if a ball is made on the break the breaker continues shooting, then there shouldn't be an argument over who's shot it is. But
At the same time I understand that when a player breaks softly we are to assumethat he is breaking safe, but not announcing it. So with this unwritten rule among gamblers is it right to call it on the breaker (calling a tech) and enforce the technically right rule of ..'you must call your shot for it to be legal' That's what I was referring to when I mentioned ...it all depends on how badly the players want to win...

Personally I think the breaker was wrong for not calling safe before breaking the balls, but right to rebut the technically right claim. I also feel the non breaker was right to call the technically right claim, but wrong for enforcing it.
But if you grew up playing a certain way then that way should be honored, providing you're playing someone you grew up with.:D

Dr. Bill

You dodged the questions I asked you in post #12.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's the scenario...

I think there is too much assuming going on here. It doesn't matter if they are lifelong acquaintances or just met. I answered the question without bias or prejudice to either player. I'm not assuming the breaker has an easy shot to bank and I'm not assuming he doesn't. It's just as likely that Mike wants the guy to shoot again, maybe he left himself tough but none of that matters. By the interpretation of the rule it's the breaker's shot.

Here's Mike's post with the extra and unneccessary info removed. Here are the pertinent points:

Here's the scenario...

You're playing bank pool against a opponent who is familiar with the rules of the game. That opponent is breaking the balls, the rack is glanced and the cueball goes two rails back uptable. The opponent does not call "safe" and a ball from the stack leaks out into a pocket.

Dennis

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

I agree with the good Dr. There was sort of an example last night in one pocket of these technicalities. Corey fouled twice in a row. Bustamante got Coreys attention and held up two fingers. Corey acknowledged it with a nod. Then Corey made a third foul. It Definitely should have been a win for Buste. But no. Corey runs to Shuman (again) and said I thought he was just telling me I owed two balls when he held up the two fingers. Also did you all know that in All pool games the player on two must be given the warning as he approaches for his shot???! Giving him the warning right after the second foul is NO Damn Good!! Corey got his way, got the benefit of moving balls to his side with a third kick foul and won the game......