Him vs. You #2

tylerdurden

Verified Member
7 to 6 is so big. It really is. It is a 2 to 1 ratio so it is like being ahead 4 to 0 in that he must make twice as many balls. Anyway, I would just bump the 2 damn balls to my side and freeze on the end rail (focus on getting close to that rail). Then, just get one out of play at some point and things look real real good (to me anyway).

I'll "give one up" here, as I think freddy says.... when 2 balls are actually froze, the cb is going to react quite a bit different (if they aren't froze this principle doesn't apply, you have to check and see if frozen). It is essentially like hitting an ob twice as heavy. Point: it is worth practicing freezing this with the 2 balls frozen, as it reacts unnaturally to some extent -- a rolling ball (eg my shot here) isn't affected too much, but on other shots this really comes into play with the angle of the billiard.

I think the mistake people make here is not realizing how much of an advantage they already have. Anyway... I know people shoot this differently so it will be a fun discussion.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Rod, am I missing something? You've got ball in hand. Shoot this same shot from left of center, so that both balls wind up on your side, cb on the short rail!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Rod, am I missing something? You've got ball in hand. Shoot this same shot from left of center, so that both balls wind up on your side, cb on the short rail!

I was going to say something, but I just assumed Rodney wasn't paying attention to which pocket was his cause I know he is a real player. Can Rod or Beard or somebody tell me what is playing the light in card games? I was just a rookie at card cheating. They had to be total suckers for me......

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Sorry I had a senior moment. Below is better.
Rod.
P.S. GETTING OLD IS NOT FOR SISSIES.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0

Skin

Verified Member
Who knows what the heck is going on here with all this editing? :eek:

Just delete and start over, will ya! :D

I play the shot in this situation with the cb slightly to my side and two-rail gently to his side of the bottom rail, trying to line all three balls up in a row. It leaves me a ball halfway up to the side pocket he can't molest if it turns out right and nothing for him anyway if it is a little bit off.

Skin

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
kind of curious why no one likes to two rail the one to their pocket? i understand the count, just leave whitey where you cant get hurt....
:)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
kind of curious why no one likes to two rail the one to their pocket? i understand the count, just leave whitey where you cant get hurt....

It's risk/reward to me. I need one ball and you need two. I'm going to make you earn them both if you are to win. I'm not in a hurry to win now, on this shot.

Dennis

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
It's risk/reward to me. I need one ball and you need two. I'm going to make you earn them both if you are to win. I'm not in a hurry to win now, on this shot.

Dennis

so, you concur with tyler/rod as the correct shot? (would like to see a diagram of skin's....too much thinking for my fat head on a sat night. :D)

this is a good situational thread, hope some other good sticks weigh in....

tylerdurden

Verified Member

Just my opinion on this.... this really goes back to that point I made in my first post.... when you have two frozen balls (if they are in fact perfectly frozen), the cb reacts differently because it is hitting the weight equivalent of 2 balls. So, under pressure you can use all your skills acquired over the last 20 years, hit it "perfect", and draw right back into the pocket or something crazy. Although the good part is that it will be easier to get back off those 2 balls, right. Anyway, I just don't like the risks vs the very strong spot you can put yourself in with absolutely no risk.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Just my opinion on this.... this really goes back to that point I made in my first post.... when you have two frozen balls (if they are in fact perfectly frozen), the cb reacts differently because it is hitting the weight equivalent of 2 balls. So, under pressure you can use all your skills acquired over the last 20 years, hit it "perfect", and draw right back into the pocket or something crazy. Although the good part is that it will be easier to get back off those 2 balls, right. Anyway, I just don't like the risks vs the very strong spot you can put yourself in with absolutely no risk.

good enough. respect your opinion (i.e. knowledge) immensely. (that senile androd guy isn't bad either :D). thanks for sharing.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Who knows what the heck is going on here with all this editing? :eek:

Just delete and start over, will ya! :D

I play the shot in this situation with the cb slightly to my side and two-rail gently to his side of the bottom rail, trying to line all three balls up in a row. It leaves me a ball halfway up to the side pocket he can't molest if it turns out right and nothing for him anyway if it is a little bit off.

Skin

so, you concur with tyler/rod as the correct shot? (would like to see a diagram of skin's....too much thinking for my fat head on a sat night. :D)

this is a good situational thread, hope some other good sticks weigh in....

miller i think this is skins shot
its another way to play 2 balls on the spot
yy3.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have seen cliff shoot this situation with inside and go around 3 rails. Something like this....???

somebody please correct my diagram, I remember not liking this shot in any situation so I didn't put it solidly in the memory reserve, and now, ironically enough, i'm curious as to exactly how he hits this. It is def closer to that corner on the first rail with the cb, but im too lazy to fix the diagram.

Attachments

• Okey-Doke.jpg
    Okey-Doke.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have seen cliff shoot this situation with inside and go around 3 rails. Something like this....???

somebody please correct my diagram, I remember not liking this shot in any situation so I didn't put it solidly in the memory reserve, and now, ironically enough, i'm curious as to exactly how he hits this. It is def closer to that corner on the first rail with the cb, but im too lazy to fix the diagram.
The late Willie Jopling showed that shot -- pretty similar to the way Cliff sometimes shoots it. I am not sure exactly what situations Cliff would shoot it this way though. Damn One Pocket is SO situational, lol.

Willie also said, "This is the shot that Harry Crabtree intended to trap Weenie Beenie with. It is an uncommon shot for a very common One Pocket situation. You need to use inside english to float the cue ball three rails and up the table."

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The late Willie Jopling showed that shot -- pretty similar to the way Cliff sometimes shoots it. I am not sure exactly what situations Cliff would shoot it this way though. Damn One Pocket is SO situational, lol.

Willie also said, "This is the shot that Harry Crabtree intended to trap Weenie Beenie with. It is an uncommon shot for a very common One Pocket situation. You need to use inside english to float the cue ball three rails and up the table."

steve where did that diagram come from??