Legends Of One Pocket-Philadelphia Style 1991

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Watching this match with Lou Butera playing Buddy Hall got me to thinking: Is there any way to see who played who, who beat who and who advanced how far in this tourney or any of the older tourneys? Does anyone know?

They sure named this tournament correctly. We've got a slim Billy B., a rotund RA and B. Hall playing another legend:).

CapturedPicture_1.Jpeg

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Watching this match with Lou Butera playing Buddy Hall got me to thinking: Is there any way to see who played who, who beat who and who advanced how far in this tourney or any of the older tourneys? Does anyone know?

They sure named this tournament correctly. We've got a slim Billy B., a rotund RA and B. Hall playing another legend:).

View attachment 6235
Here is a poster from that tournament, posted on Facebook by Mary Kenniston.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here are a couple of cool things from this tourney and from the match between Buddy and Butera.

Cool thing #1: Hall has BIH and runs 8 & out from here. His cueball hits no other balls until he shoots his 7th ball in and then he uses the ball for position:eek:.

bh1.jpg

Cool thing #2: Now I know why they call him "Machine Gun" Lou:). Butera has BIH and runs 8 & out in 1min. & 15secs.:eek:. Unbelieveable. It wouldn't have taken so long but he stopped to clear his pocket:). Co-commentators BI and the other guy said someone should have put a stopwatch on the run. I did.

lb8andout.jpg

Cool thing #3: Who is this guy? He was playing Danny D..

who.jpg

That's all the cool things for now:D.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

View attachment 6239

Dennis

Obviously it's Cole Dickson...:D.......ok, seriously now...At first the face looked a little like Danny Medina to me....but on closer inspection, I think it's Freddy - and more so cuz it looks to me like one of his unconventional semi-fisted bridges...:heh

- Ghost

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member

View attachment 6235

I have a lot of the matches on vhs. Maybe this screen shot will help you figure it out? In the commentary i'm sure they say who is in the semis etc, but I can't remember. The problem is, I think there were 2 91 events, I can't distinguish them in my spreadsheet. I have a quarter final match between fusco and varner with player review with fusco and grady that is just priceless -- that is one of the all time best accustat productions imo. Not sure who was in the other quarter finals; guessing pete fusco, cook, mizerak, then not sure?? Oh man i'm so confused. But cook def won, with miz in the final. I'll just post my screenshot and maybe others who were there can help figure it out. That match with our own billy is quite good.... talk about some ball running, you should see miz in that match... maybe billy doesn't want to remember it, but that was a very interesting match. And notice billy of course went hill hill with the eventual finalist -- i personally think billy felt if he played good in tournaments he'd lose his butter, and maybe even some of his bread and jam :) Just an opinion, hope he doesn't mind me saying :cool:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I have a lot of the matches on vhs. Maybe this screen shot will help you figure it out? In the commentary i'm sure they say who is in the semis etc, but I can't remember. The problem is, I think there were 2 91 events, I can't distinguish them in my spreadsheet. I have a quarter final match between fusco and varner with player review with fusco and grady that is just priceless -- that is one of the all time best accustat productions imo. Not sure who was in the other quarter finals; guessing pete fusco, cook, mizerak, then not sure?? Oh man i'm so confused. But cook def won, with miz in the final. I'll just post my screenshot and maybe others who were there can help figure it out. That match with our own billy is quite good.... talk about some ball running, you should see miz in that match... maybe billy doesn't want to remember it, but that was a very interesting match. And notice billy of course went hill hill with the eventual finalist -- i personally think billy felt if he played good in tournaments he'd lose his butter, and maybe even some of his bread and jam :) Just an opinion, hope he doesn't mind me saying :cool:

Yes, you have several matches listed there from the Columbia, SC tourney which took place earlier. I see four I remember right off from SC, including The Beards match wi Burton, the long 100 min rack, Cook over Parica and Hpkins over Cook in finals, but I cannot figure out who that fellow is playing DD to save my life.. But that is some great screenshots.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
who is this ??
he must be a legend to be in the tourney
but how does he hit the ball??:D
doesnt look like he can take much back swing and it looks like he will barely reach the cueball on the foward swing??:eek:.....:confused:
ww1.jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks John. I remember seeing that poster somewhere on this site when I posted a death notice for Jersey Mel Mlotok. He's the second down on the right of that poster.

Dennis

I wonder if this is the same Jersey Mel I played a few years ago in Lodi, NJ.

He was old but looked pretty good.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Here are a couple of cool things from this tourney and from the match between Buddy and Butera.

Cool thing #1: Hall has BIH and runs 8 & out from here. His cueball hits no other balls until he shoots his 7th ball in and then he uses the ball for position:eek:.

View attachment 6237

Cool thing #2: Now I know why they call him "Machine Gun" Lou:). Butera has BIH and runs 8 & out in 1min. & 15secs.:eek:. Unbelieveable. It wouldn't have taken so long but he stopped to clear his pocket:). Co-commentators BI and the other guy said someone should have put a stopwatch on the run. I did.

View attachment 6238

View attachment 6239

Dennis

I know who the guy on the left is. Cant miss that stroke. But what about the guy to the right with the beer belly? I'd recognize that bowling pin figure anywhere.

Beard

LArry (lll), the guy on the bottom of the pic is an easy one. That particular bald head is a dead giveaway. Think AK-47.

Here again are the three important clues: Weird bridge, body like a bowling pin, and AK-47.

Final note: Yes the pockets were big 'uns. And why didnt they tape the strumming I put on Billy Johnson!!? All I ever hear about is that Eddie Burton travesty.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Thanks TD, I also did a search and found a list someone posted some years ago.

>REYES VS MATHEWS 1991 LOOKS LIKE A $ MATCH?
>ERVOLINO VS SIGEL 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET 2 DVD
>BURTON VS BENTIVEGNA 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET 2 DVD
>MIZERAK VS HENEGAN 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>FUSCO VS HENDRIXSON 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>COOK VS RUCKER 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>INCARDONA VS MIZERAK 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>INCARDONA VS WEAVER 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>COOK VS MIZERAK 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>ROBERTS VS "STRAWBERRY" BROOKS 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>FUSCO VS REMPE 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET 2DVD
>OSBOURNE VS "JERSEY RED" BREIT 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET 2DVD
>VARNER VS FUSCO 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET 2DVD PLAYER REVIEW
>COOK VS PARICA 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>HALL VS BUTERA 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>COOK VS STEPHEN 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>HOPKINS VS VARNER 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>HOPKINS VS COOK 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>TUGWELL VS SPAETH 1991 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>SIGEL VS REYES 1992 WEST COAST ONE POCKET
>ALLEN VS INCARDONA 1992 WEST COAST ONE POCKET
>HAWAIN BRIAN VS FARGO 1992 LA OPEN
>STRAWBERRY VS CORNBREAD 1992 LA OPEN
>SPAETH VS TUGWELL 1992 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>LOTTSA POPPA VS MATAYA 1992 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>COOK VS GRIFFIS 1992 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET
>RUCKER VS DAULTON 1992 LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET

This list is in this thread:http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1752

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Mel

Mel

I met Mel at Allen Hopkins first show.We talked for hours,just a great guy.He told me he played alot of partner onepocket. He told me about how he loved playing pool. I saw Mel last year at Hopkins SBE and he told me about having cancer and acted like it was nothing to worry about. He did look very thin but I thought he over came it. A true class person in pool and real life. I'm so sad about Mel's passing,just wish I could see him again and talk for hours.R.I.P. Mel

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
One tourney was May of 91' the other was July of 91' ... is that correct I was there at both but that's a lot of years ago. The Philadelphia tourney was in July 1991.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One tourney was May of 91' the other was July of 91' ... is that correct I was there at both but that's a lot of years ago. The Philadelphia tourney was in July 1991.

I just popped in the dvd's to check the dates.

The Cornbread/Bugs match at the LOP was on Jan.5,1991 in Columbia, SC..

The Butera/Hall match at the LOP-Philly Style was on July 19, 1991 at the Airport Hilton Hotel in Philly, Pa..

Dennis