clem metz

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is something from azb
clem metz - Today, 04:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for those of you who don't know who clem was .he was the best one-pocket player in the world excluding eddie taylor in the 1960's he grew up in chicago but moved to cincinnati as a teenager .he played pool simply for money .he didn't respect players who would not bet their own money.i talked to him at length about two years ago . he died about a year ago. i ran into him at krogers in northern ky, igave him a ride home and parked in front of his apartment , we talked pool for an hour which was rare because clem didn't talk much to anybody bout pool . he didn't think anybody could play except eddie taylor but he did admit efren was very good.he talked about taylor with great respect .like he was babe ruth of pool .he opened up and admitted he couldn't beat taylor untill he got drunk and still it was very tough he said he figured out how to play him , by putting a ball or two by the side pocket to block eddie's banking lanes . i asked him why? raising his voice he said because he would make any long rail bank and draw the cue ball back down the table and run out.he told me with pride about playing squirell race to three for five thousand .and they both bet their own money, clem won three to two .he said squirell got mad at himself and broke the rack. i asked him was squirell a dog /just get a rise from him he said hell no sqirell was a very good player who did not dog it. he never played in tournaments ,he would go to the winners home-townand set a trap for the champion after beating all shortstops, he would then bust the champion and the sideline .he was cold as ice and saw pool simply as a way to make money.he said he learned how to play one-pocket by watching lingo .who spent time in cinti. not playing him but observing his every move lingo was excellent at kicking balls away from your side to his pocket. these shots were billiard shots . he diagramed his favorite shot which was kicking behind a ball on your side over in front of his pocket and floating down in front of your hole.clem was an excellent 3cushion pklayer . this shotwas coined by billy incardona as the clem shot. he didn't talk to most people about pool or anything else but i had known him for fourty years and he respected my knowledge.clem told me how he beat every good player fom that era jersey red and said he spotted ayoung ronnie allen. he played joey spaeth 8 to 7and kept him broke.he was also very good at all games,he said he beat donnie anderson playing bank and that was a tall order.next time i will talk about how we met and played one handed one-pocket this was 1966.i never saw or heard him laugh he had no sense of humor.clem moved around the table with short graceful steps no nonsense he was like a robot and when adresing the ball he would cock his head ever so slightly and when he took his final stroke he would get a smirk on his face as to say you will do what i tell you to do . he was truly an ice man who didn't care how long the game took .you were never going to get a shot more to come about a real legend ,every were i went in the country people would ask if i knew him and talked about him as the best they ever saw more to come later billyc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
billy do you know and can explain what this shot is???

This is an extreme version, but kicking behind the object ball and the cue ball running along the long rail is the basis. I used draw on this shot, but depending on the shot you can use follow or center ball.

BEard

Attachments

• Banking W-Beard New 2008 173 (486 x 600).jpg
    Banking W-Beard New 2008 173 (486 x 600).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
It would be like this shot I am guessing, fun shot to play when it comes up and works out right without scratching. :)

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kL0kDfELqBc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kL0kDfELqBc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Lenny, you played that shot WAY too well! And the best part is that you got it on video! Should be on someone's "Best of" reel...

Doc
That blind squirrel quote applies here. :lol

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Another note about Clem.

Another note about Clem.

You forgot to mention what a top notch proposition man Mr. Metz was. I saw him play in Johnston City when I was a kid. George Jansco had a game he invented that he would play any of the top players, called Stars and Stripes, one pocket where the good player had to shoot a stripe then a solid and so forth, whereas George could shoot them in any order. I think Taylor (the real one) was the only one who beat him at his game. Clem turned it around where George had to shoot a stripe then a solid and Clem played one handed, left handed, behind his back...and won.
Keep it nice. Alfie

billycarrelli

That was clems favorite shot

That was clems favorite shot

It is called a ticky in 3cushion billiards
it would be like this shot i am guessing, fun shot to play when it comes up and works out right without scratching. :)

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl0kdfelqbc?version=3&hl=en_us"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl0kdfelqbc?version=3&hl=en_us" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

billycarrelli

That was clems favorite shot he diagramed it for me not very risky but a game breaker

That was clems favorite shot he diagramed it for me not very risky but a game breaker

He diagramed iy for me not very risky
this is an extreme version, but kicking behind the object ball and the cue ball running along the long rail is the basis. I used draw on this shot, but depending on the shot you can use follow or center ball.

Beard