bucktooth

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
PS I do think the Tooth is a very good candidate for Lifetime Pool in Action

Hell no--it would make the HOF a complete joke. He does, however, belong in the Keno Board HOF and Mega-Woofing HOF (would be a cinch for first ballot). :D

Martin

martin
what do you think about steves opinion??
although i think jew paul should get in first
jmho
icbw

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I was occupied with work and family the last few days and have not kept up with this thread. I have cleaned it up a little.

Pool has always had quite a mix of characters -- at least in all the poolrooms I have been in and out of over the years -- and often some strong personalities that tend to clash. Consequently we get some of that here too.

At least here on the internet it is generally just talk!

Thank you all for understanding,

Steve Booth
OnePocket.org Administrator

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
martin
what do you think about steves opinion??
although i think jew paul should get in first
jmho
icbw

I have tremendous respect for "Jew Paul" Brusloff even though I only was able to see him play a handful of times (in his later years) and got to play him once myself. I knew of him since very early 70's (I'm originally from Detroit). Paul was by far a more straightaway, serious and high betting action man than what I've seen from Bucktooth. Paul had real steely gamble. He didn't have to have the triple nuts to play and bet high. Paul should be a cinch for any kind of action in pool award. He helped put Allen Hopkins in business!

I've only seen Bucktooth at a handful of assorted venues since about 1983 (Great American in Sacramento or Caeser's Tahoe Tournament). I was actually surprized when I read in Winning One Pocket or More Moves, Shots, Etc. that Bucktooth was once an accomplished player. I'd like to hear more about his battling with known players and shortstops.

Overall, while I believe Bucktooth is a decent human being, I have little to no respect for Bucktooth as a pool player/ gambler. What I have witnessed has been loud-mouthed bluster and extremely cowardly/ insulting attempts to match up. How can anyone earn an award for that?

Martin

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy, Mr3C, onepockethacker don't like to admit that SJD was a great player, superior to them.
SJD took offense at all the braggadocio that they posted.

This part below is sensible, the above is not.

The result has regressed into a ridiculously juvenile banter from all sides.
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site.
Rod.

To Steve Booth. As long as you are going to be the conscience of this forum, and that is understandable, understand that I will not let this inaccurate, unjust post go unanswered. You deleted my response, but I kept a copy of it. Anyone curious, it is available via PM.

Beard

Here is a hint of the content: How many of you remember me calling you personally and soliciting you to vote for SJD?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have tremendous respect for "Jew Paul" Brusloff even though I only was able to see him play a handful of times (in his later years) and got to play him once myself. I knew of him since very early 70's (I'm originally from Detroit). Paul was by far a more straightaway, serious and high betting action man than what I've seen from Bucktooth. Paul had real steely gamble. He didn't have to have the triple nuts to play and bet high. Paul should be a cinch for any kind of action in pool award. He helped put Allen Hopkins in business!

I've only seen Bucktooth at a handful of assorted venues since about 1983 (Great American in Sacramento or Caeser's Tahoe Tournament). I was actually surprized when I read in Winning One Pocket or More Moves, Shots, Etc. that Bucktooth was once an accomplished player. I'd like to hear more about his battling with known players and shortstops.

Overall, while I believe Bucktooth is a decent human being, I have little to no respect for Bucktooth as a pool player/ gambler. What I have witnessed has been loud-mouthed bluster and extremely cowardly/ insulting attempts to match up. How can anyone earn an award for that?

Martin

I have to agree with everything you have said, there really is no comparison between the two people... as the choice for the award...Jew Paul was truly an action player...all his life... I have known both players/people for over 45 years, and have played them both. Played Bucktooth 5 times, and Jew Paul 4 times. They both had a good game when we played, but my game was a little better, but I did lose once to each of them, and won the remaining times we played. But Paul would play anyone, didn't matter who you were or how much you wanted to play for...if he liked his game...or if he was stuck playing someone else...:lol Bucktooth (Richard Cook) usually would try to get the nuts and hold out if he didn't think he had them, but if you were "trickier" than "The Tooth" or played "lights out" you could beat him for a package. Tooth was more of a "hustler type", where "Jew Paul" was more of a "high rolling egotist" Understanding this...who would you want to play...

Paul came into the pool room...'looking for action' Tooth came into the pool room "trapping"

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

glee

Verified Member
Bucktooth

Bucktooth

Hi Dick,
I sent you a pm but I guess it did not work, too bad, my computer skills need a lot of upgrades.
Ron Lilles, cant rember, how about Terry Osborne? I think he wound up some where in your neighborghhood Phx or Tucson.
Bill Incardona`s thread spilled the beans "Trapper Tooth", very accurate!
Since my pm didn`t work heres my phone no.209-463-3136.
It would be fun to chat with you.
have a nice evening, George

glee

Verified Member
What's with these people who have stories, but won't tell them? Do we have some posters almost ready to come out of the closet? :heh:eek:

Well vapros heres another Toothie story.
I wasan't in on this disaster, thank God. Toothie and another buddy of our`s Bill King a dice mechanic were scuffling around in some bars in San Fran and Toothie starts playing on a bar table with this little old man who`s drinking whiskey out of a water glass. Closeing time and the Tooth is stuck. Lets go to Cochoran`s says the the Toothie. At Cochorans Toothie and Bill go broke
When Bill told me this storey he said nobody on the rail said a peep, Toothie had a very small fan club there. nobody told the Thooth he was playing Glenn " Eufalagh' Womack.
Bucktooths uncle was atop player, in the early 50`s . he played Eddie Taylor 10 to 8 , Taylor lost. Played New york Fats even, Fats lost. Eufalagh played Blackie 8 to 6 and I dont know who won.
So vapros theres another closet storey
Have a good evening George

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I just wish it wouldn't have gotten to this point San Jose Dick was a great player according to my grandfather (I am no youngster by any means) but the site is filled with great players that contribute and dont attack guys Like Pittsburgh Billy, John Brumback etc that contribute reason I lurked here is there was times AZ billiards became so redundant and this forum seemed to have a large amount of onepocket history and knowledge. Instead its kinda developed into little clicks that seem to genuinly dislike each other maybe Im wrong though and I just don't get "it"

It's kind of hard to explain how the flame wars developed. You kind of had to be here to see it happen.

I'll tell you this though, there are some good people here talking about one pocket strategy and action stories and such. Things get heated and settled down in cycles. I started posting here a few years ago and haven't stopped. I've picked up some gems of info and my game is better for it.

There some verbal wars going on but I think that is just the nature of posting online. --> Especially when egos get involved.

Dudley

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
C'mon folks, Bucktooth is an American legend who belongs in the after hours Hall of Fame. The man is (was) an extraordinary trapper, player, and gambler. At tournaments, crowds would ignore the boring regular play just to watch the Tooth in action. Pool would be just another dull lackluster sport like golf without guys like Bucktooth to give it that extra dimension we are all addicted to.

shooters1411

I want to thank everybody for the feedback about Bucktooth. Bucktooth went to school for a few years in the town i grew up in. His Dad had a pool home here. The people in town remembers Bucktooth beating them out of there lunch money in the pool room. Bucktooth is a good friend of mine he comes here once a year for the high school reunion we have. I just wanted some feedback about him. Thank you again.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
demonrho

C'mon folks, Bucktooth is an American legend who belongs in the after hours Hall of Fame. The man is (was) an extraordinary trapper, player, and gambler. At tournaments, crowds would ignore the boring regular play just to watch the Tooth in action. Pool would be just another dull lackluster sport like golf without guys like Bucktooth to give it that extra dimension we are all addicted to.

You nailed the defintion of....''Old School''....

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I want to thank everybody for the feedback about Bucktooth. Bucktooth went to school for a few years in the town i grew up in. His Dad had a pool home here. The people in town remembers Bucktooth beating them out of there lunch money in the pool room. Bucktooth is a good friend of mine he comes here once a year for the high school reunion we have. I just wanted some feedback about him. Thank you again.

I assume you read the book, 'Playing Off The Rail' by David McCumber. It has a pretty good bit about The Tooth and Tony Annigoni and Davids strange odyssey hustling pool. A pretty good read I thought. Seems like a little bit of The Tooth goes a long way for some people..

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
That said

That said

Freddy, Mr3C, onepockethacker don't like to admit that SJD was a great player, superior to them.
SJD took offense at all the braggadocio that they posted.
The result has regressed into a ridiculously juvenile banter from all sides.
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site.
Rod.

AMEN, brother

shooters1411

Yes I read the book it was very good. I have watch Bucktooth play. Plus I watch a trick shot show he did in San Ramon.

glee

Verified Member
bucktooth

Does Bucktooth belong in the One Pocket Hall of Fame?

Hi Mike,
Richard probably has every right to be included in the Hall of Fame, however its a fickle prosess. Clem Metz is not a member and he is a far better canditate. Dont dispair Tooth has his page in Eddie Robbins book and that is the original Hall of Fame in my opinion, Clem has his page in there also, along with a number of great players that will never be included in the Hall of Fame.
Now save up a few bucks, buy the book and have a good read!
Tooth is on page 241 and Clem is on page 244.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Hi Mike,
Richard probably has every right to be included in the Hall of Fame, however its a fickle prosess. Clem Metz is not a member and he is a far better canditate. Dont dispair Tooth has his page in Eddie Robbins book and that is the original Hall of Fame in my opinion, Clem has his page in there also, along with a number of great players that will never be included in the Hall of Fame.
Now save up a few bucks, buy the book and have a good read!
Tooth is on page 241 and Clem is on page 244.

Tooth was playing a guy with one eye(on page 241), come on:D. In all seriousness, I listened to Tooth commentate on a livestream and he was as funny as the Fatman. He made me laugh my ass off and love his commentary but I never saw him play.

Dennis

glee

Verified Member
Tooth was playing a guy with one eye(on page 241), come on:D. In all seriousness, I listened to Tooth commentate on a livestream and he was as funny as the Fatman. He made me laugh my ass off and love his commentary but I never saw him play.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
The one eyed guy was Hank Hurst, I think he gets some serious mention from Grady Mathews in a few of his posts.

Hank was a child prodigy like the Tooth and played killer snooker, his long time pal Suki used to post on this forum but hasen't for a while. I met Hank in 1956 or 1957 when Tooth and I would go to SF.

Pay ball or pink ball was played a lot at Cochorans in the late 50's and early 60's and Hank did very well in those games up aginst some very stif compition Jack Perkins, Sleepy Bob, Frank Rodriges and a host of others.

Hank died in 65 or 66 soon after I got out of the Army, very sad because he he was a real nice fun guy, very full of mischeft.

Hank Hurst was the one that tought Denny Scearcy how to play pool!

Tooth hardly ever talks about defeats but in one of our conversations he mentioned Big Nosed Roberts steaking Hank in a snooker game with the Tooth and the Tooth said I had no business being on that table or even being in that pool hall.
Have a nice evening Dennis
George

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hi Dennis,
The one eyed guy was Hank Hurst, I think he gets some serious mention from Grady Mathews in a few of his posts.

Hank was a child prodigy like the Tooth and played killer snooker, his long time pal Suki used to post on this forum but hasen't for a while. I met Hank in 1956 or 1957 when Tooth and I would go to SF.

Pay ball or pink ball was played a lot at Cochorans in the late 50's and early 60's and Hank did very well in those games up aginst some very stif compition Jack Perkins, Sleepy Bob, Frank Rodriges and a host of others.

Hank died in 65 or 66 soon after I got out of the Army, very sad because he he was a real nice fun guy, very full of mischeft.

Hank Hurst was the one that tought Denny Scearcy how to play pool!

Tooth hardly ever talks about defeats but in one of our conversations he mentioned Big Nosed Roberts steaking Hank in a snooker game with the Tooth and the Tooth said I had no business being on that table or even being in that pool hall.
Have a nice evening Dennis
George

In the late 50's/early 60's, when Perkins, Sleepy Bob, RA, Sam, Legs and others were not at Cochran's, they were at Hollywood Billiards in Los Angeles and this wannabe pool hustler, fresh out of High School, donated to the cause several times while getting my pool room education.

Ronny Allen told me another reason they went to Cochrans was because Rusty Jones would play just about anyone $50 a game one pocket on the 5 x 10.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
In the late 50's/early 60's, when Perkins, Sleepy Bob, RA, Sam, Legs and others were not at Cochran's, they were at Hollywood Billiards in Los Angeles and this wannabe pool hustler, fresh out of High School, donated to the cause several times while getting my pool room education.

Ronny Allen told me another reason they went to Cochrans was because Rusty Jones would play just about anyone $50 a game one pocket on the 5 x 10.

John,

Being a few yrs. older than you (I turned 21, in 1955, when I moved to San Jose) I too endured a lot of "training" at one pocket.. It didn't take long to realize, I could not win (at 1P) with most of the guy's you named. Golf and 9 ball action, were pretty scarce.

When RA and I started playing in the early 60's, I fell in love with the game, and learned an awful lot from him, pretty fast..(mostly by kill or be killed) I don't think we ever matched up in Cochran's, all our play was in San Jose..(where the money was) :eek:...He almost did to me, what Richie did to you...But I already had a job !..:p

Soon after, I began going up to Cochran's weekly, (or more) and my two favorite games, became One Pocket on a 5 X 10, with Rusty, and ANYTHING with Jack Perkin's..They were by far, the best action up there. I could win with Perkins (at 1P) on a 5 X 10, but it was a while, before I could win on a 9 footer..We did play a lot of 9 ball though..
Most of the other guys had to get staked, and their stakehorses were hard to match up with...That was also good for "matching up" lessons...Paid my dues often.:rolleyes:...
...Good action, and fun times !! ;)

Last edited: