Cliff wins the La one pocket tournament

backplaying

Verified Member
Cliff beat Gary Abood in the finals to win his second 1 pocket tournament in a row. He then played Sylver a race to five for a few dimes and beat him 5-2. I have heard many people talking about Cliffs game like he can't play anymore. I can tell you these are people who are not around him. He beat Chris Gentile awhile back and gave up some pretty good weight to good one pocket players at Tunica while I was there and robbed them. I still think Scott is the only American player favored over Cliff.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thats great for Cliff. He must be on his second wind, playing great.

I'm going to be in New Orleans for a week or so. I hope he's going to be hanging out there.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
these days of one thousand megapixel camera phones and nobody ever snaps a shot of the brackets(lol) ...

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's nice to see that Cliff has won a few tournies and sessions of late. He has the talent and experience to beat anyone at one-pocket. I believe it simply depends on the condition of his right shoulder, of which he's been battling an overuse injury for a couple of years. He either doesn't want to, or can't afford, the proper treatment for it.:(

Doc

backplaying

Verified Member
It's nice to see that Cliff has won a few tournies and sessions of late. He has the talent and experience to beat anyone at one-pocket. I believe it simply depends on the condition of his right shoulder, of which he's been battling an overuse injury for a couple of years. He either doesn't want to, or can't afford, the proper treatment for it.:(

Doc

I have played Cliff quiet a few times and he never does the hesitating thing with me. Sometimes I believe its bs or just a mental thing he has a habit of doing only at certain times.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I have played Cliff quiet a few times and he never does the hesitating thing with me. Sometimes I believe its bs or just a mental thing he has a habit of doing only at certain times.

I don't believe so. I've spoken to him about it on many occasions over the past several years. It tends to stiffen up on him when he plays a lot of one-pocket, whereas when he plays rotation games, it keeps limbered up due to more fuller stroking.

For example, I watched him warming up for his first 1P match in Tunica. He could not follow through with his stroke without lifting his torso to allow his shoulder to flex. At that point I knew he wouldn't do well in the tournament. And as it happened, he didn't even finish in the money. Contrast that with a long private 10-ball match he had later with Chris Gentile. Even though he obviously had the flu, his shoulder was working normally, and he easily prevailed.

I've asked him some professional physiological questions, and I have a hunch what it is. I considered offering to treat him myself, but to be honest, I didn't want to be added to the "bite" list...;)

Doc

Bigtruck

Verified Member

I don't believe so. I've spoken to him about it on many occasions over the past several years. It tends to stiffen up on him when he plays a lot of one-pocket, whereas when he plays rotation games, it keeps limbered up due to more fuller stroking.

For example, I watched him warming up for his first 1P match in Tunica. He could not follow through with his stroke without lifting his torso to allow his shoulder to flex. At that point I knew he wouldn't do well in the tournament. And as it happened, he didn't even finish in the money. Contrast that with a long private 10-ball match he had later with Chris Gentile. Even though he obviously had the flu, his shoulder was working normally, and he easily prevailed.

I've asked him some professional physiological questions, and I have a hunch what it is. I considered offering to treat him myself, but to be honest, I didn't want to be added to the "bite" list...;)

Doc

I have spoken to Cliff candidly regarding the "bite" reputation. It is my opinion that Cliff is a product of what this sport will do to people trying to make a career out of it. Additionally there are many in the sport that simply make contributions to players to help them continue. Some don't. Some have only given as a loan and being in need many players accept when there is little chance of ever being able to repay.

I believe Cliff's heart is in the right place, He's a perfect gentleman in any match he plays, he conducts himself in a professional manner and he's talent that everyone loves to sweat.

Cliff would love to have his shoulder looked at, but it's doubtful he would have the cash. Sadly, when he won the tournament I handed the Calcutta money to one person and the tournament money to another. Cliff's only part was whatever Jelly those 2 shared with him.

If you would help Cliff with his shoulder Doc, I would do a fundraiser to pay you. Anything to keep the Cliff train rolling, I'm in.

Ray

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have spoken to Cliff candidly regarding the "bite" reputation. It is my opinion that Cliff is a product of what this sport will do to people trying to make a career out of it. Additionally there are many in the sport that simply make contributions to players to help them continue. Some don't. Some have only given as a loan and being in need many players accept when there is little chance of ever being able to repay.

I believe Cliff's heart is in the right place, He's a perfect gentleman in any match he plays, he conducts himself in a professional manner and he's talent that everyone loves to sweat.

Cliff would love to have his shoulder looked at, but it's doubtful he would have the cash. Sadly, when he won the tournament I handed the Calcutta money to one person and the tournament money to another. Cliff's only part was whatever Jelly those 2 shared with him.

If you would help Cliff with his shoulder Doc, I would do a fundraiser to pay you. Anything to keep the Cliff train rolling, I'm in.

Ray

Ray; In the 3 Cushion world in the USA, the USBA, is he governing body for billiards in this country. By private donations, this allows the top 6 ranked players in the US $300.00 each toward any "USBA Open Tour" event during the year. There are about 10 USBA Open Tour events a year. For a sum of $18,000.00 a year! It's a start for Pro players!

Don't get me wrong, we too have bite experts in 3 C, just not as many, do to it being a "niche" game, as some like to call it on this forum!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Ray
Ray, I agree with all that you have said. I've enjoyed watching Cliff ply his pool skills for many years. And you're right about his professionalism. I've never seen him get out of line on the pool table. He keeps his mouth shut, and his mind on the game.

Yes, it is too bad that some pro pool players turn into scuffs because there's not enough money in pro pool. Of course they knew that going in. It's like people who choose the artist's life. They can't convincingly argue that they should be able to make more money at their art, because there's very little money available to support artists, and they knew that from the git-go. So when one chooses one's profession, he must accept the consequences, or do something else.

I'd be happy to examine Cliff's shoulder. The next time I see him (I believe he and his family are still living in Mobile-- an hour from Gulfport) I'll bring it up to him. He could also phone me at my office in Gulfport: 228-896-6616.

I can't talk about any lesion that he may have in a professional sense, but if he has what I think he does, he might benefit from conservative treatment along with structured exercises. There's always the likelihood that he would need an MRI scan, or plain X-rays. These are expensive. He might also require an extended regimen of physical therapy or chiropractic. There's the possibility that he could require surgical repair.

If you have any comments or questions, you might PM me. ~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Ray, I agree with all that you have said. I've enjoyed watching Cliff ply his pool skills for many years. And you're right about his professionalism. I've never seen him get out of line on the pool table. He keeps his mouth shut, and his mind on the game.

Yes, it is too bad that some pro pool players turn into scuffs because there's not enough money in pro pool. Of course they knew that going in. It's like people who choose the artist's life. They can't convincingly argue that they should be able to make more money at their art, because there's very little money available to support artists, and they knew that from the git-go. So when one chooses one's profession, he must accept the consequences, or do something else.

I'd be happy to examine Cliff's shoulder. The next time I see him (I believe he and his family are still living in Mobile-- an hour from Gulfport) I'll bring it up to him. He could also phone me at my office in Gulfport: 228-896-6616.

I can't talk about any lesion that he may have in a professional sense, but if he has what I think he does, he might benefit from conservative treatment along with structured exercises. There's always the likelihood that he would need an MRI scan, or plain X-rays. These are expensive. He might also require an extended regimen of physical therapy or chiropractic. There's the possibility that he could require surgical repair.

If you have any comments or questions, you might PM me. ~Doc

Doc, I talked with Cliff last week and he informed me that he needed to get an MRI and needed money. I suggested to him that he might talk to the state and try to qualify with the state for help. I really don't know if that's even possible, what do you think? He really is a gentlemen to play with, you're right about that. Too bad he's having shoulder problems, not good for a pool player.

Dr. Bill

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

Ray

Cliff is a good dude without a doubt

Have personally loaned or might I say 'contributed' :) to his cause as well fully aware I'd never see any of it. But he has never ceased to help my 1p game, he's always helpful when we talk 1P/pool - always

Didn't know he was having health problems though :( life as a poolplayer can be rough sometimes

All the best to a good guy ... hope he can overcome

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Brackets photos are almost always posted on my Facebook wall, and they are public.

Ray

www.facebook.com/poolactiontv
I found them, scrolling down a little ways. Looks like Cliff took the long road to winning this, having been knocked into the loser's side by Abood in their first match. Cliff returned the favor at the end, but meanwhile had to pound through the complete left side of the tournament...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, I talked with Cliff last week and he informed me that he needed to get an MRI and needed money. I suggested to him that he might talk to the state and try to qualify with the state for help. I really don't know if that's even possible, what do you think? He really is a gentlemen to play with, you're right about that. Too bad he's having shoulder problems, not good for a pool player. Dr. Bill
My guess is that he could apply for Medicaid, unless his wife works and makes too much money for them to qualify. It may also depend upon how much he reports as income.

Doc