Official/Unofficial Galveston Update thread

Deeman

Verified Member
ace said:
The match Earl played at 7:00 that night was with me and he is a shooter, not a one pocket player.

Ace,

Of course, if he shoots straight enough, he doesn't have to be a one pocket player. :) Of course, I'm sure you got your one hole fill against Ernesto, right? :)

Glad you enjoyed yourself and sorry I missed it. Thanks for the call last night. It made me feel like I did miss everything.

DeeMan
thought that Billie could still play. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ace said:
The match Earl played at 7:00 that night was with me and he is a shooter, not a one pocket player.
ace its got to be tuff when you run 6 then he runs 8:) . but seriously how many people do you know that can say they played earl.

frmn

Verified Member
thanks for the reply ghost. i remember that guy from the derby. he was hitting balls on the corner table by the scroller. i was a little drunk and looking to gamble and asked him to play for a hundo or two a game. he looked at me like "who are you to ask me to play". the next words out of his mouth were what are you giving up? i said no spot and he didn't want to play. he probably would have tortured me. it was like the scene in the color of money.he should have said yes but he didn't know. i giggled alot about that exchange afterward. thanks again.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
frmn said:
thanks for the reply ghost. i remember that guy from the derby. he was hitting balls on the corner table by the scroller. i was a little drunk and looking to gamble and asked him to play for a hundo or two a game. he looked at me like "who are you to ask me to play". the next words out of his mouth were what are you giving up? i said no spot and he didn't want to play. he probably would have tortured me. it was like the scene in the color of money.he should have said yes but he didn't know. i giggled alot about that exchange afterward. thanks again.

You're welcome, frmn.

- Ghost

PS, At next years DCC, would you like to have a couple of drinks with me, and then play some even for a hundo or two?.....:D....jk

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
lll said:
ace its got to be tuff when you run 6 then he runs 8:) . but seriously how many people do you know that can say they played earl.
I won the lag and started with a really nice break too. The only reason I was pocketing so many balls was due to him banking toward his pocket and leaving the cue ball out in the open. Earl dose not think like an experienced one pocket player. If he made an up table bank, He was 8 and out.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Random thoughts...

Random thoughts...

A few random thoughts about the GWC: This was the finest run large tournament I've ever attended, including DCC. The players were informed right on the tournament chart at which time there match was to be played, and even on which table! The times were adhered to precisely, and there was a verbal notification via P.A. system 15 minutes prior to each match. These features allowed guys to leave the area to do something else, and not have to worry about hanging around the chart area in hopes of trying to find out when they play.

Once the TDs realized that they only had 88 entrants, they could easily have allowed us races to 4 rather than to 3.

The equipment was in very good condition. The 9' tables were available 24/7 WITHOUT CHARGE for practice or action. I went to the tournament room at 10 A.M. Monday to watch the Lil John/Larry Nevel and Gabe Owen/Ike Runnels matches. There was almost nobody there!! The two matches were in progress, and there were 2-3 tables being used at the far end of the room. That left approximately 45 tables unused and available. The bleachers on either side of the room (which apparently hold 1500-2000 people) were practically empty.

I predict the 1P tournament will double in size next year. The promoter/owner said if it's well attended next year, he'll add 3-4 additional events around the country.

I would like to have seen a bank pool event. Perhaps one will be added in the future. And as long as I'm wishing: a senior event would be lovely.

I don't know why they had a women's event. I suppose it's PC. It's his money, he can spend it how he likes. They only had 30 players. To me it's just a nuisance. At least they only used 4 tables, and they pretty much kept to themselves. As a matter of fact, a few of them kept to themselves quite closely.:rolleyes:

There were so many 1P matches with top players contending, that one had to pick a neutral spot so as to be able to sweat 3-4 matches simultaneously.

Renting a hotel room around town at very reasonable rates presented zero problems. Evidently after Labor Day the town pretty much dies. They do get crowds from Houston on the weekends. There was no advantage to staying at the venue, since there was quite a walk from the hotel to the pool table areas (although not nearly as bad as Ceasar's Indiana), whereas the parking garage was directly beside the pool venue.

Next year I might even go a day early, just to enjoy the Galveston surf. It's a pretty little town, but like every other sick pool addict, I hardly ventured from the venue-- like a bat.:eek:

Doc

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
gulfportdoc said:
A few random thoughts about the GWC...

Thanks for taking the time to give a little flavor of what went on to those of us who couldn't make it this time. From your take, I'm definitely trying to make it next time.

drw

Verified Member
brandon Shuf vs S Dalton

brandon Shuf vs S Dalton

Shannon D was playing great shutting out Dave Faver and Brandon Shuf. Shuf had just beat Cliff Joyner to get to play Shannon. Total ball score was.

Shannon 24

Brandon S -1

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
demonrho said:
Thanks for taking the time to give a little flavor of what went on to those of us who couldn't make it this time. From your take, I'm definitely trying to make it next time.
Me, too. I'm kicking myself. Well, not quite...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gulfportdoc said:
A few random thoughts about the GWC: This was the finest run large tournament I've ever attended, including DCC. The players were informed right on the tournament chart at which time there match was to be played, and even on which table! The times were adhered to precisely, and there was a verbal notification via P.A. system 15 minutes prior to each match. These features allowed guys to leave the area to do something else, and not have to worry about hanging around the chart area in hopes of trying to find out when they play.

Once the TDs realized that they only had 88 entrants, they could easily have allowed us races to 4 rather than to 3.

The equipment was in very good condition. The 9' tables were available 24/7 WITHOUT CHARGE for practice or action. I went to the tournament room at 10 A.M. Monday to watch the Lil John/Larry Nevel and Gabe Owen/Ike Runnels matches. There was almost nobody there!! The two matches were in progress, and there were 2-3 tables being used at the far end of the room. That left approximately 45 tables unused and available. The bleachers on either side of the room (which apparently hold 1500-2000 people) were practically empty.

I predict the 1P tournament will double in size next year. The promoter/owner said if it's well attended next year, he'll add 3-4 additional events around the country.

I would like to have seen a bank pool event. Perhaps one will be added in the future. And as long as I'm wishing: a senior event would be lovely.

I don't know why they had a women's event. I suppose it's PC. It's his money, he can spend it how he likes. They only had 30 players. To me it's just a nuisance. At least they only used 4 tables, and they pretty much kept to themselves. As a matter of fact, a few of them kept to themselves quite closely.:rolleyes:

There were so many 1P matches with top players contending, that one had to pick a neutral spot so as to be able to sweat 3-4 matches simultaneously.

Renting a hotel room around town at very reasonable rates presented zero problems. Evidently after Labor Day the town pretty much dies. They do get crowds from Houston on the weekends. There was no advantage to staying at the venue, since there was quite a walk from the hotel to the pool table areas (although not nearly as bad as Ceasar's Indiana), whereas the parking garage was directly beside the pool venue.

Next year I might even go a day early, just to enjoy the Galveston surf. It's a pretty little town, but like every other sick pool addict, I hardly ventured from the venue-- like a bat.:eek:

Doc
thanks doc for giving us your insights and updates. hope to make it next year

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Details!

Details!

gulfportdoc said:
...I don't know why they had a women's event. I suppose it's PC. It's his money, he can spend it how he likes. They only had 30 players. To me it's just a nuisance. At least they only used 4 tables, and they pretty much kept to themselves. As a matter of fact, a few of them kept to themselves quite closely.:rolleyes:

Doc

Dockie, as George Costanza on Seinfeld once said, "Details? I want details, and I want them now!"

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Dockie, as George Costanza on Seinfeld once said, "Details? I want details, and I want them now!"
Beard, you old perv, you'll have to use your imagination.:D If I wrote a description, Booth would delete it by 9 A.M.;)

But I will say that, given that there was a strictly enforced dress code (Billy I. was told to stop practicing at a table because he was wearing shorts), there should also have been a homosexual fondling prohibition. That type of public behavior makes most everyone uncomfortable at minimum. If the women want to engage in that, they should head for the hotel room.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Please dont tease

Please dont tease

gulfportdoc said:
Beard, you old perv, you'll have to use your imagination.:D If I wrote a description, Booth would delete it by 9 A.M.;)

But I will say that, given that there was a strictly enforced dress code (Billy I. was told to stop practicing at a table because he was wearing shorts), there should also have been a homosexual fondling prohibition. That type of public behavior makes most everyone uncomfortable at minimum. If the women want to engage in that, they should head for the hotel room.

Doc

Doc, now you really got me going with the "fondling." I would not be least bit uncomfortable and would certainly not vote to send them away to a hotel room. It they asked me to, I would even be willing to give "jiggers," and provide cover for their dark practices.

Beard
Never met a girl I wouldnt try to send into another girl.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John H,
If you trust the Ol' Beard. I will give you a $25 sweat bet on brother Bruce's (Ghost) prop bet. I'm physically ill because I cant be down there. If you happen to sh*t out and win, I would also like to cap my losses on the prop at $200 (8 barrels).

Beard

Good luck to all concerned. I promise to pay in real cash, no Beard products.

Beardman,

Do not try and distract my horse with your mundane cheap-o "sweat bets"... I will accept your wager, (however my cap is $100=4 pops)

That is to leave room for another sweat bet...(which I allready have a considerable stake in)
If the AB,BI and John grandpa match comes off, I should like to wager $50 or $100 per session on John. I doubt they will fit in more than one session though. (possible re-match at DCC, which moi hopes to make it to)
I could have PM'd or called, but I want witnesses as to your acceptance or refusal. No pick and choose...both bets, or NO bet.

Please respond ASAP...and don't try to "past post" me.

San

PS..Also, do not try to pay off in your "slowest selling" merchandise. (which could be a real toss up).I accept PayPal :cool:

Its a bet, 4 barrels $25 a pop for the prop bet. $100 sweat bet on the AB,BI and JH match. $200 max loss for either of us.

Beard

Beardman, I would not accuse you of collusuion. However it is strange that Doc posted AFTER he got back to his room, at 3:pM...you posted at 2:33 PM, (just 27minutes prior) which leads me to believe I was probably "past posted".

However, gentleman that I am, I will accept being 2 pops down.(@ $25 per pop)
Now we come to the "Big Match"...I will verify your claim with John, and our action is still alive.

This internet pool wagering really sucks.

Dont pay me. The bet is off. All bets. I got 50 years in the underworld, do I really need to past post somebody for $50 to make a f'n bet?! I knew that kicking prop 40 years ago. Im really gonna stay up til 3 in the morn to make a $25 bet on something I already believe to be a dead cinch. I havent been up past eleven oclock in 2 yrs. The Ghost is gonna have to keel over at the table to lose with that prop. The only reason I bet was to have some part of the play down there since I couldnt attend. I would bet parts of my body that I could make that kick, in the pocket, one out of three. Do you want to spot me an automatic win one out of every six games? That's a 16% advantage. They built Vegas on 1-5%. Anybody smart enough to be cross-checking times of forum posters is probably too smart for me. If I would have won the match bet, Henderson may have had to undergo a saliva test if he lost to see if he got "jarred."

Beard
Accusing me of being that creepy and petty for $50 is an insult.

Did you also notice that I had much earlier asked John H for an 8 BARREL bet at $25 a pop at 7:30 in the morn in post #10?

What a whiney ass sorehead.... are you getting so f-ing senile you don't know a friendly chide when you see one ???

As for your rant about the timing...the 27 min time lapse occurred in the PM, not AM---AM is after midnite, PM is before noon...(even in Chicago)....Sheeesh !....Do I need a f-ing interpreter with you too ?

I am down 2 bets @ $25 to you...are you saying (now that I have hurt your delicate sensibilities) that we have no bet on the main event ? The bet WAS contingent on BOTH the prop shot and "the match"....Granite-Brain.

I will NOT apologize for insulting you, because apparently you are the only one who took it seriously. In fact...you owe ME an apology ! :eek:

PS..Be sure and wait until the match is over before you respond. :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :D........... (unless of course you're not speaking to me
anymore, Ar...I mean Fred)

Well Freddy, he's got you there, even if he doesn't know it yet:):p:D:sorry.

CBD