efren /scott

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
heres a little wwyd
i ve been so busy cant find time to find a reall y good one:mad:...
but heres a teaser
the announcers thought the 1 could be banked
efrens shot
ee1.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I guess Efren could bank the 1 ball, but I would not. It would be a very thin hit and the cue ball would go all the way to the top rail and more. My choice would be to protect the 1 by feathering the 7 ball and rolling to the long rail and back into the rack. I'm ahead in this game by 3-0, and not feeling very adventurous.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
heres a little wwyd
i ve been so busy cant find time to find a reall y good one:mad:...
but heres a teaser
the announcers thought the 1 could be banked
efrens shot
View attachment 7469

I like kicking here, especially when top players are competing. I would even kick softly if I were afraid of selling out the 14ball. Imo the penalty for the intentional is well worth it (if taken) considering the position you will gain. To me this looks like a very manageable position which you figure to benefit from.

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like kicking here, especially when top players are competing. I would even kick softly if I were afraid of selling out the 14ball. Imo the penalty for the intentional is well worth it (if taken) considering the position you will gain. To me this looks like a very manageable position which you figure to benefit from.

Dr. Bill

I like kicking also. I'd probably kick at the 14 ball
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
I was going to look at kicking at the 2 to see what I might get in the way of the 7 ball, but thinking Rod's shot over (kick at the 14), I like it better. Could get a good result with a pretty low risk.

Skin

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like kicking also. I'd probably kick at the 14 ball
Rod.

If you're kicking at the 14ball Imo striking the 14 ball on the bottom of the ball would be ideal. If the 14ball is hit toward the top of the ball the cue ball looks to be heading toward the top left corner of the table. I like trying to stay in the rack after this kick.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If you're kicking at the 14ball Imo striking the 14 ball on the bottom of the ball would be ideal. If the 14ball is hit toward the top of the ball the cue ball looks to be heading toward the top left corner of the table. I like trying to stay in the rack after this kick.

Dr. Bill
...and that is the kind of kick that Efren hits so well. I'm not sure I would have noticed that clipping the 14 ball first on the kick makes the kick even stronger, or dared to try to hit it that accurately. For my skills, I would I would probably kick at the 2-ball -- not too hard because I want to leave the cue ball buried.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I like kicking at the 2-7. If the 7 doesn't pocket, then it'll leave me in great position. I'd hit it just hard enough to make sure the 7 can get a rail. The problem with the 14 kick is that it has to be hit with some steam in order to make sure something hits a rail. These shots take a little bit of luck.:)

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I like kicking at the 2-7. If the 7 doesn't pocket, then it'll leave me in great position. I'd hit it just hard enough to make sure the 7 can get a rail. The problem with the 14 kick is that it has to be hit with some steam in order to make sure something hits a rail. These shots take a little bit of luck.:)

Doc

I like this shot.

THood

From
Westford, MA
The 2-7 kick is a good shot. You'd have to hit it pretty bad to sell the 14 or get pretty unlucky to leave a bank. One thing's for sure, banking the one is about the worst thing to try. You turn whitey loose and there is really no guaranteed upside. You might get to a spot where you can see another ball, but if you miss, for sure there's something for your opponent to do. Even if you get close, he's gonna move on you. Why chance it on that shot?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The 2-7 kick is a good shot. You'd have to hit it pretty bad to sell the 14 or get pretty unlucky to leave a bank. One thing's for sure, banking the one is about the worst thing to try. You turn whitey loose and there is really no guaranteed upside. You might get to a spot where you can see another ball, but if you miss, for sure there's something for your opponent to do. Even if you get close, he's gonna move on you. Why chance it on that shot?

welcome to the site THood
:)

bstroud

Verified Member
I don't think the kick at the 14 could go too badly but if an intentional is your goal wouldn't it be better to play off the end rail to the diamond just below the side pocket?

With all the balls lined up at your pocket it would be difficult for your opponent to get away without leaving a shot of some kind.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Dr. Bill

Plus with this move bill (as you know), your taking out any risk of the 14 ball coming into play....your idea of keepin' em ''in the stack'' is the dagger.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Kicking softly into the two or fourteen does not accomplish very much. Scott at the minimum can simply kick back under the one. But more likely from there he may be able to come under the one by playing thin off the fourteen and thereby freeing up the fourteen on his side of the table. No, I think there are better shots here. Bill S.'s shot of kicking off the top rail and leaving the cue ball along the side rail but up higher is a better option for my money as long as there is nothing dead in the stack for Scott. (I'm wondering about that combo with the two) From that position Scott will have a difficult time getting the cue ball past the center diamond on the foot rail. (three rail kick?)Efern will be in a much better positon to get aggressive.
Kicking with some speed into the two-seven I think is risky. It may work out fine but the hit must be to the high side of the two. What happens if you miss the two completely or worse, hit the low side of the two? I can see bad things can happen with that shot and I would wait for a better position when leading three zip off my break.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i liked thinning the 7 and coming back into the stack...:eek:
i post these so i can learn:)
i also liked the idea presented of kicking into the 2-7
seems good
move the 7 to your side leave him in the stack (tom didnt like it)
the intentional i never thought of as an option here
why give up ball?? i have to respect my elders so if billy thinks its ok
who am i to argue

but of course efren didnt listen to any of you...:sorry
he decided to bank the 1 and 3 rail into the stack....:eek:
he may not have gotten the result he was planning but
c'mon man to even think about that shot under the circumstances....????
ee2.jpg

ee3.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ive got to say
as my cue ball control continues to be more precise im improving:)
but i dont think i could count on his control
do you think he figured he make it(the bank)???
and was coming into the stack to open up balls to continue his run???

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
i liked thinning the 7 and coming back into the stack...:eek:
i post these so i can learn:)
i also liked the idea presented of kicking into the 2-7
seems good
move the 7 to your side leave him in the stack (tom didnt like it)
the intentional i never thought of as an option here
why give up ball?? i have to respect my elders so if billy thinks its ok
who am i to argue

but of course efren didnt listen to any of you...:sorry
he decided to bank the 1 and 3 rail into the stack....:eek:
he may not have gotten the result he was planning but
c'mon man to even think about that shot under the circumstances....????
View attachment 7474

View attachment 7475
Giving up a ball is 'usually' not as important as gaining a favorable position, for top players. Especially when balls are in play, as they are here.;) When top players are playing one another, favorable ball position is very, very important. I have lost, and other players have lost big leads playing top players because of ...not being able to negate favorable ball position for the top player..

Dr Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Giving up a ball is 'usually' not as important as gaining a favorable position, for top players. Especially when balls are in play, as they are here.;) When top players are playing one another, favorable ball position is very, very important. I have lost, and other players have lost big leads playing top players because of ...not being able to negate favorable ball position for the top player..

Dr Bill

bill i hear you
and im learning the deeper levels of 1p with your help and everyone that contributes
whats your critique of efrens shot??